1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Armies-GB vs America

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lozzy_Ozzy, Oct 24, 2004.

?

Wich army would you be in?

1. British

25 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. American

32 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. I'm a pacifist

14 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. Wich one has the most radioactive monkeys?

16 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Personally I don't think he knows what he is talking about. Perhaps his own bias had something to do with his conclusion. :mischief:

2. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Well, maybe there is a little point in that.

For example, in Czech military training area in southern Bohemia, there was a NATO training of special forces, aimed on orientation in landscape. US soldiers had as usual superior equipment, but they've get lost, even with with GPS :)

Slovak soldiers were best in this exercise, though they've got only compass and map.

I don't want to offend american soldiers, but maybe some of them rely too much on their superior equipment and weaponry and therefore lack on improvisation and initiative...

3. Bugfatty300

Isn't it immposible to become lost with GPS unless one can't comprehend X and Y grids?

4. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Maybe but he spent 11 years in the army. Him and his friend done pipelaying and when the Americans turned up they had 6 soldiers to do the same job-2 vs 6. Not so much badly trained perhaps but inefficient. Historically in WW1/WW2/Vietnam or even the civil war the Amercans seem to be average(not bad though) soldiers.

5. Bugfatty300

Which is how you could have put it. The "idiots with guns" quotation wasn't really crucial to your point was it? You could have left that out and still got your point across. ;) :p But I see what your saying.

6. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

His words not mine. He turned down 2 job offers in Iraq. The pay rate was $2500 USD per day.

7. test_specimen

test_specimen hope lost

I voted "pacifist", but if I had to choose between the two, I'd say British. They have a much higher reputation concerning fair treatment of the enemy, battle honour and pride. They view their job more professional and less adventureous ego-trip. You're not required to have seen Top Gun 150 times to join the British.

8. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

In the first Gulf War, the Americans were impressed by the time the French technicians needed to completly remove, repair and put back an aicraft engine. Much faster than Americans.

Explanation from a sergeant:
    "When the Americans have an aicraft that needs repairs, they put in an hangar, and bring two new aircrafts. When we have one aircraft that needs repairs, we don't have an aircraft to replace it, and we don't even have the hangar to store it, so we HAVE to repair it fast".

9. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

i think british would be cooler, i would get sick of american accent to fast.
    @ Zandaar New Zealand Represent!

10. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Out of the two - British. I chose them not for technology, but for the people that are really the army's face. I'd rather die with people I repsect than the opposite.

11. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Well, i don't understand it either :)

12. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

That is pretty common in less-advanced/equiped militaries :) The lack of needed material forms makes creativity and improvisation skills crucial for survival ;)

13. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Whichever would be least likely to put me in harm's way.

14. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Deity

Considering the performances in Iraq so far (68 Brits + 1000 US dead), I know which army I'd be in. If I wasn't a pacifist, of course.;)

15. Hotpoint

Hotpoint Rome Treaty Legions

Slightly off-topic but it's now up to 1104 US Dead.

In any case I would of course join the British Army. In fact I was going to but after my pre-RCB (a test for wannabe Officers) with the Royal Artillery I was advised I was a bit young and I should get a Degree first.

Three years later with the Degree and a long-term Girlfriend I didn't actually want to join up any more (and she sure as hell didn't want me to) hence my civilian status.

16. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

And than Blair send you to Baghdad to help US soldiers keep peace :)

17. PantheraTigris2

PantheraTigris2 Deity

Huh... consider the small number of UK troops in comparison to the US forces, and you'll find the loss ratio is similar. Not to mention, they are/ have been operating in the safe parts of the country.

But why consider that, when we can continue to make absurd, biased comments! God save the queen! :king:

18. Hotpoint

Hotpoint Rome Treaty Legions

British Commanders and politicians have long maintained that the only reason the UK controlled area is "safe" is that the British Army Rules of Engagement are such that they don't end up increasing civilian hostility unlike the American ones which are in fact a recruiting drive for the enemy.

The British actually regularly fight major engagements with insurgents (To give an example the British base at al-Amarra was hit by mortar fire over 400 times in August alone) but because they are far more careful to avoid civilian casualties when they retaliate they are still on much better terms with the locals.

19. Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde Dr. techn.

I´m a pacifist,but if I had to choose any army I would take the Austrian army (or Switzerland) - veeery unlikely it gets involved into more than rescuing people after avalanches: We are a kind of neutral which means without UN resolution no soldiers are sent into conflict zones, and they are all volunteers.

Specialities are infantrists with alpine training.

Some impressions:

Attached Files:

20. PantheraTigris2

PantheraTigris2 Deity

Well, in the south, I'm happy for you - that you have the luxury of taking that option all the time. In the central part of the country, it's a thousand times more hostile. You do understand that, right? That southern Iraq and the 'Sunni triangle' are not - the same? eh?