Armies

mrshyguy

Chieftain
I have heard rumors that you can put together a number of units to an army, all units moving and attacking at the same time at an enemy. Can you do that? how do i do?

Short answer, read the manual ! Long answer....

Right then, the way to do it is to get yourself a great leader. How do you get a great leader? Whenever one of your elite combat units wins a battle (attacking or defending) there is a small chance (about 5% or so) that a great leader will spontaneously appear.

Once you have a leader you have two choices. First send him to a city and use him to build an improvement in 1 turn (including wonders!) or second use him to make the army. Select option 2 and then move other units to the same location and 'load' them into the army. You can have a maximum of three units on an army

A couple of cautionary notes. Firstly, the ability of a great leader to build a wonder in one turn means that many players would never even consider making them into armies. Personally, I use the first two or three leaders as builders but I will eventualy use one for army creation. Secondly, once a unit is in an army, it can never be upgraded, so after a while the army becomes obsolete, so be wary!

On the upside, if you DO make an army and it then wins a battle, you have the option for three small wonders. Firstly, the heroic epic which increases your chance for an elite unit to create a leader. Secondly, the military academy which allows you build 'armies'. These are exactly like the great leaders except you can only use them to make more armies. Finally, you can eventually build the pentagon, which allows you to put four units into your armies making them even tougher.

Why have armies? Well, when they attack one unit will attack first but then retreat when reduced to 1 health. The next unit then steps up to attack the same defender. This continues until one or the other is dead as normal.

Phew! :) :p :p :p

If a unit which is elite wins battles there is a chance that it will become a great leader. If you then take this to a town then it can be used either to rush a wonder or build an army. (Which 3 units can be loaded into) (4 with a certain wonder I think the pentagon.)

To get a great leader does the battle have to be against another Civ or can it be against barbarians. I have been whooping ass with my elite units and have yet to get a Great Leader. It is starting to annoy me

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
To get a great leader does the battle have to be against another Civ or can it be against barbarians. I have been whooping ass with my elite units and have yet to get a Great Leader. It is starting to annoy me

I believe it has to be against other Civs. I never got a GL fighting barbarians, lots of elite units yes, GL no. ;)

I was annoyed when I found out I couldn't "unload" those units but I guess it makes sence not being able to have an "army" that was fighting 100's of years ago around in the modern era too (not when you can build armies with the military academy small wonder).

I have found an army to be a valuable asset. My 3 elite legion Roman army under Hadrian (Maximus helped build a wonder :D) was great at storming cities.

I tired disbanding this in a city and found it would add 100 shields to a building/unit but none to a wonder.

Units in the army can be promoted (I had an army with veteran units and they all became elite with time..) I wonder though, is it possible to produce a GL winning a battle with "elite army"?

Another question. Can armies be used to pillage? I haven't seem the pillage icon appear with any of my armies.

HOw do you load units out of an army?? is this even possible??? I've tried everything, even reading the manual!!! :eek:

can an army become elite?? I see that the army was a veteran.

To answer some questions: 1) Armies with elite units cannot produce leaders. 2) Units cannot be unloaded (or even upgraded)from armies. I even tried to edit it on the units screen in the editor (shows a load and unload tag) but it didn't work :( 3) as to pillaging, Iv'e never noticed. When I am going to take a city, I keep improvments (no use pillaging just to do the work again)

Top Bottom