Armies

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Marcus Claudius, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Marcus Claudius

Marcus Claudius Chieftain

Hi...
    In Civ3, you can build armies which allowed you to have three units per army and after the Pentagon, this was moved to four units.

Has this been replaced by the "Grouping Function" in Civ4

Is there a way to name a Group ? In Civ 3, I used to name my Armies after Roman Legions, but I cannot seem to find how to do this in Civ 4.

Anyone...

I guess I just have to get used to the fact I might not have my legions anymore, after all they have now been turned into Praetorians, which I find totally useless...

Cheers:)

2. flytyer

flytyer Master Fisherman

Yeah...I think you are right about the grouping thing replacing the armies. However...in CIV IV groups of units are really not a good idea due to the enemy having collateral damage capabilities. In Civ III, this wasn't a problem...only one unit sustained damage from an attack. But now...you could group 15 units and they could all be damaged from a cat or artillary attack.

3. Marcus Claudius

Marcus Claudius Chieftain

Thanks for the tip - I had a Group of 55 tanks and wondered why they were ALL beat up so badly..go figure..cheers :blush:

4. Lov2play

Lov2play Chieftain

:eek:

Btw, has anyone tried playing without barracks?

5. Krupo

Krupo Old-time newsgrouper

Well I've occasionally built units without barracks. But if it's not an emergency (imminent threat) and you plan to build more units, it's generally smart to build a barracks, those experience points can come in *very* handy.

And yeah, watch out for collateral damage. It can suck, but can also be v. fun. :)

6. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

In fact your "Stack of Doom" strategy is exactly why the Civ programmers ay the reintroduced collateral damage.

7. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

... but it didn't help... Still the SoD is the way to go, and even in Civ3 you should have composed it from different units (arty, fast/strong attacker/ good defender)

So, regarding this, nothing has changed.

8. Woody

Woody General

The huge stack of doom is still the way to go, even if you get attacked by several units with collateral damage you will still have many healthy units when they are done. Even when I get tanks/modern armor I will keep lugging around all of my leftover calvary to soak up those collateral damage hits. It appears to be random which units in a stack get hit by the collateral damage so every calvary that gets "lucky" and gets hit means one more armored unit that doesnt.

9. rainmaker

rainmaker Warlord

What is the best way to attack an ai city using a stack of varied units? Should you uncombine them and attack using selected units or attack witn the combined stack?

I have been uncombining them because it seems as if the combined stack needs healling too soon.

10. SlipperyJim

SlipperyJim Prince

I hate the so-called stack attack. I'll only use it when the outcome is not in any doubt, like when I'm trampling a Barb Archer with a group of Knights. :D Otherwise, I'll ungroup all of my attack units and send them in one-by-one, usually starting with whoever has the best chance to win.

The exception is bombardment: Catapults, Cannon, Artillery, & Bombers. I always do my bombardment with my units grouped, just to save the time. It's also kinda cool to see the enemy's capital drop to 0% defense with one click. :nuke: :smug:

11. DragonRunner

DragonRunner Certified Band Geek

An easy way to counter the threat of artillery is to simply bring along some fast units, like Horse Archers, who also get +50% vs. Cats. As your stack of doom moves towards their city, send your Horse Archers out to strike at those vulnerable cats, if the Enemy is dumb enough to leave them unguarded. If they have spears protecting them, you might have to stop and destroy them before moving on. Fast units are great for protecting your stacks.

12. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

No, it's been replaced by strategy, tactics, and a distinct lack of cheese.

13. SlipperyJim

SlipperyJim Prince

My only problem with that tactic is that the AI never seems to leave its Catapults unguarded. They're always lurking in the cities, waiting to take a cheap shot at my stacks when I move into attack position.... :gripe: And the Horse Archers' bonus against Catapults is only when attacking, not when I'm defending against them....

Off-topic: Does anyone else think that bonus is kinda useless? Nearly every unit in my army can easily defeat a Catapult when attacking. They're only 5 strength, with no fortification or terrain defense. By the time I've slogged through killing all of the AI's fortified Archers/Longbows/Spears/whatever ... the Catapults are usually easy prey. I don't need a unit that has a bonus to attack Catapults, I need a unit that helps me to defend against Catapults.

14. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

No arguement, but it does help the AI defense a little.