Army oversize

gertjantommel

Chieftain
Hi Gedemon,

I am encountering the army oversize "bug" again playing the French. Whenever a convoy with a unit is unloading, it adds one to my army without compensating that as an increase in army size limit.

So when the convoy appears all is ok. For example I can build another 3 units at that time. But when the convoy is unloading and the unit become active and available to me, I can only build another 2 units.

With all the units coming in later in the game, I expect an enormous production disadvantage...

What shall/can I do?

Best,
Gertjan

Delete old units when your production is really low.

Delete old units when your production is really low.
Yep...understood that one...that's the quick and dirty solution...However, I read in your development notes that you coded the extra convoys as army size + 1...in that respect there should be no problem with the convoys unloading extra units...but it doesn't work as predicted.

The CONVOYS dont count as a unit, however when the convoy unloads, that unit is now part of your army, and does count. So the convoys are working as intended.

Your army size is based on population, so if you want a bigger army you will need more population, you will have to capture enemy cities, or delete old units as suggested, or in some cases you do indeed need to just eat that production hit and keep producing. I have noticed that when i try to stay under the production cap i handicap myself and end up with some issues. Just plan accordingly =) Its only 2% per unit, for gee whiz, having 10 units over the cap will be a 20% production hit, but if it only takes 10 turns to normally build a unit its only 12 turns with that hit, its not really that big of a deal untill you start reaching 40 or 50%.

The CONVOYS dont count as a unit, however when the convoy unloads, that unit is now part of your army, and does count. So the convoys are working as intended.

Uhm:mischief: Sure Kogre...that's what's happening indeed...:crazyeye:

I well understood that part of the concept, the only thing is, I thought (but maybe misunderstood, so maybe Gedemon can clarify) I read somewhere that the convoys (and ultimately the units unloading) would not have an effect on the army size, as the "base" level of units would be raised by 1 each time a unit is created by the convoy generator.

I'll try to look it up!

Edit: Found it: "Convoy are considered free units for supply limit (actually you get 1 more supply per convoy on the map)" uhm...that is to say...here it says that the convoys are supply size + 1...but in my humble opinion it is a bit strange to have the convoy have no effect on the supply size while the unloaded convoy has...playing as the French it poses some real challenges as the supply limit is only allowing for 4 more units before the penalty starts to kick in...at the start...well...never mind...I'll manage...

working as intended for the convoy/unloading, the unit should not affect your supply number until it's operational.

Top Bottom