1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Army Stops Many Soldiers From Quitting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vonork, Dec 29, 2003.

1. vonork

vonork Emperor

Sort of like drafting... their contract has ended. Even though it prob is writen somewere that it can happen. What's your HO.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36979-2003Dec28.html

2. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

I can understand trying to stop them from deserting, but forcing them to stay when they had been promised they could retire is wrong.

3. ShiplordAtvar

ShiplordAtvar Texan by the grace of God

What do you mean by HO?

Honest Opinion?

Well, I'll say that it would suck to be in that position. We've got too few fingers to plug too many dike holes and accordingly some fingers wind up spending more than their contracted amount of time.

That being said, I would like to have seen the WaPo include a quote from a soldier who had something that wasn't disfavorable to say about the stop-loss program. Their editorial point seems to be that stop-loss orders are immoral and should be done away with.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Deity

While sad on an individual level, I do not think the military is doing anything illegal. I'm sure most of these folks didn't read the small print or realize that this could or would happen when THEY SIGNED THEIR LIVES TO BE GOVERNMENT PROPERTY.

Just another reason to distrust the government, though.

I feel for them and hope they can come home soon to be with their families.

5. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

this doesn't suprise me. the next step will Bush mobilizing JROTC.;)

6. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

This is just dirty. Its basically slavery.

7. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

What I find irritating is not that they are required to keep serving, but that the government was probably if not directly decieving, at least misleading in the original contractual agreement. They should have made sure the soldiers damn well knew what they were signing on for, rather than hiding stuff in fine print. Doing stuff like this is terrible for morale. Make a soldier feel free, and I will be more loyal.

8. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

If that happens I'd laugh even more at my foolish friends who joined it. ;)

9. stratego

stratego Trying to be good.

This seems like only a temporary solution, because these orders will only discourage new volunteers. While I agree that the US can't afford to lose all these soldiers, I think it should take a more honest approach such as bonus pay. Even though that might put us into more debt, it would not cause distrust in potential recruits

10. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

This is goverenment under the Bush Administration just plainly not honoring their contracts. It is immoral and should be made illegal.

11. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

I don't like it. Lowers morale, increases disgruntlement, and for God-sakes, I thought a contract had legal backing. Same thing goes for ay attempts to keep people abroad longer than usual. This isn't some emergency and it's not a place where they just shove the National Guard to do all the dirty work. I mean, they're taking people out of ROTC in college and other students over there, messing up their lives, but screwing up on the proper payments. Come on....It's not like this is an emergency, I mean, Bush and team said there's no problems. We're not getting invaded. According to the people in charge, this is just a quick, light operation.

I think enticing these people to stay longer might have been a more appropriate action.

12. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

I do not understand how this could possibly be legal. It's probably in small print in the PATRIOT act. How can the government openly defy the laws of the Constitution?

13. Pontiuth Pilate

Pontiuth Pilate Republican Jesus!

They had better get working on a way to accidentally lose the overseas ballots now.

14. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

More people who didn't realize what they were stepping into....

15. The Yankee

It's one thing if people only see the military as quick cash or cash for college. They should have known better. But when this happens when there are perfectly good other alternatives (what about all those troops in Germany?) and while everybody is putting a happy face on the situation, I think it's completely different.

16. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

The 13th Amendment says something about slavery..............

17. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

So many of you would be absolutely incapable of making any sort of tough decision, so I suggest you never run for public office.

18. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

This, along with the long tours of duty that the reservists have been given, will most likely have long-term affects on future enlistments.

19. The Yankee

I don't see how the result of the decision constitutes our ability to make one. I say make a tough decision and bring in more people from the German bases.

Besides, if gov officials keep telling us everything is going in the right direction and things are looking up, why would we need to do this to people anyway?

I'm puzzled....

I'm also curious to see how many people who never served or had close relatives serve are telling people to suck it up.

20. The Yankee

Yes, it will. I'm considering a military future less and less, especially after the way they've been jerking around my cousin's unit. Although, the Marine Reserves seem to have an easier time than, say, the National Guard.