1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Arrggghhhhhh - help!!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer and LP's' started by Koshling, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and now Civ won't run - it tells me it needs to be activated (Gamefly). If I try to activate it it accepts my account email and password but then just crashes in the activation.

Has anyone else run into this? Any idea how to get out of it?

If not I may need to drop from these games unfortunately.

2. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I've been on win 10 for 2 months now koshling. I upgraded thru windows upgrade notice. So all my win 7 x64 data (Progs/games/etc.) was still usable. Is that how you got win 10? Or did you buy it?

But my Civ has always been from the discs and not from a digital download source. I'm assuming Gamefly is a DD site.

JosEPh

3. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yup - that's how I upgraded too :-( Everything apart from Civ seems ok, and I'm pretty sure Civ itself is fine, but the activation wrapper that the online purchase adds is broken.

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Do you need to add admin privileges to that wrapper perhaps?

Has Gamefly been any help?

I'm just slinging out suggestions cause I really have no idea how to help.

Sure would hate to lose you from the games. Especially now that our borders are getting tight and settling into definite boundaries in US game.

JosEPh

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Unfortunately I can't help much with this but I will be willing to wait as long as a year or more for you to rejoin us. Do all that can be done to troubleshoot my friend. I only hope you feel its as worth it as I do to keep you onboard. And if anyone can fix a problem it's you.

6. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I have a support ticker outstanding, so maybe they'll be able to help, but my best guess is that they'll hide behind a 'Civ IV never was intended for Windows 10' shield. If I don't get anywhere I'll try a reinstall of Civ from scratch (I can re-download it)

7. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Wow - support resolved it first time. Amazing :)

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

9. FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon Chieftain

You had better luck than me from gamefly, I could not reactivate my game. I had both the disk and the Digital. So this time I just bought Civ4 complete with no DRM at all. I bought the non steam version because I heard they took out the direct connect option.