1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ARRGH! Dang barbarians

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Totoro, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Totoro

Totoro Chieftain

playing on noble..

wave after wave of barbarians destroying everything.

would like to do a custom game with no barbarians but feel guilty.

someone, please tell me its alright:cry:

2. Civrules

Civrules We the People

It's a game. Play it the way it is fun to you. ;)
    But just build up your forces to to prevent barb annoyance if you do continue to play with them.

3. covenant

covenant Warlord

Odd I have hardly run into any barbarians in my two games. one at noble and one at prince (?). I love how they make real towns that you can take over. Great touch.

4. general_kill

general_kill Deity

haha, yea don't you just love the new barbarians? I love getting my arse kicked by them. They have altered the history of my games more than once. I remember in one of my first games, following the old civ3 philosophy, I sent out a lone settler to settle on a hill. But my settler was soon ambushed by barbarians and my expansion was delayed several hundred years! they are trouble but i love it, finally a challenge.

5. Iceman_IX

Iceman_IX Chieftain

I liked the Barbarians as well but I, too, tried to play a couple games after my first one on a decent difficulty (Noble) and saw hordes of 5-7 Barbarian units at once with archers attacking my cities with warriors and taking them over. It was ridiculous. I even tried to defend one of my cities with a warrior vs. a Barb warrior and saved the game right before they attacked. I lost, so I reloaded the game 7 times. The Barbarians won every time. So in my current game I turned off Barbarians entirely.

I think my problem was I started on a huge map with only 8 Civs, so Barbarian groups that would normally be going after 3 Civs in one area were now only going after me.

I'm going to play around with it in the future and see if I can get the right population density to limit hordes of Barbarians attacking me in 2000 BC.

6. ATI_flailer

ATI_flailer Chieftain

The Barbarians have eaten me alive as well. I too have strange guilt feelings that keep me from turning them off.

Most recently, playing on the continents map, 4 AI civs, 2 human ( including me ) each on their own continent. I completely explored my continent and eradicated all goody huts. Barbarians start appearing in waves, at least 2 a turn inbound for my main city clusters. They even advance faster than I can and get swordsman, thus dooming my civilization.

Do the Barbs spawn even when all huts have been discovered? If so, I may need to concede defeat and turn them off.

7. Dagoth Ur

Dagoth Ur Warlord

If lots and lots of barbs are coming, it probably means they control a city. Once, I was getting 2 barbs per turn coming at me, and when I explored in the direction they were coming from, I found a barbarian city. (complete with a 3x3 culture influence square lol)

I killed the city, and after that I didn't see any barbs for 10 turns.

8. NuclearElephant

NuclearElephant Elephas Maximus

The darned animals are what kill me. Somehow my early exploring units never fail to to succumb to mother nature's savage hordes:mad:. I had one guy get attacked by three sets of bears in one turn. He lived through two of them.

-NE

9. general_kill

general_kill Deity

i wish u can concede cities to the barbs. I wouldn't mind giving some useless cities near my enemy to the barbs if it means they will constantly attack him.

10. Mujadaddy

Mujadaddy Geheim Grammar Polizei

They spawn wherever and whenever there is "fog-of-war" that you can't see. Vigilance!

11. Venger

Venger Give it a tumble, sport

The likelihood of get Barbalanched is related to how much map there is, and how many or few Civs.

On a small map with a decent number of Civs, there simply won't be that much space for them to spawn from. On a large map with a lower number of Civs, you will get the Barbarian Fist of Fury, complete with +1 Rubber Glove...

Venger

12. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I played a game as Emperor

was the first to discover 3 religions, had six cities.... then the barbarians wiped me out.... the barbarians... :(

13. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

absolutely.
    i just played a max size map of plains (so no oceans there) with only 7 other civs.
    i was ambushed so bad i had to resort to worldbuilding defensive perimeter units or i'd have been wiped out, too.

14. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

yes, when the advisor says build "Explorer (Growth)" what they mean is the LIONS' growth.

15. pyropsyc

pyropsyc Chieftain

The barbarians are so slack, was sin binned in my first mutiplayer game becase the barbarians wiped me out.

What i do now is make sure i have archery early on, build a few archers that can move about (one per city on the perimeter of your empire), When a barbarian approaches place the archer next to the barbarian in a square with defensive bonus (forest, preferably hills) and everytime (so far) the barbarian has attacked and lost. I Move the unit back to its city to heal, and choose defensive promotions. Update as soon as I get new techology.

So far so good...

16. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

i found that when you choose the retreat promotion, you will get an extra movement point in forest & jungle - very useful for that kind of thing. applied to crossbowman i think but should work for archers, too according to the promotion chart....