1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Art Style Poll - Are you turned off or excited?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by blitzkrieg1980, May 16, 2016.

?

What is your reaction to the new art style we have been shown?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. I'm excited! I like the new artstyle.

58 vote(s)
    16.8%
  2. It's okay. Not overexcited but not disappointed.

85 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. I'm not completely turned off but not exactly impressed.

105 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Ugly. Flat out crap. I hope they change it!

72 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. I don't really care about the art style.

25 vote(s)
    7.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

But I can't easily see the warriors in front without really focusing in... nor the archers in the back. But that may be the camera angle messing with me. Fully fleshed out ui will help with that too.

2. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Because the screenshot is 450p and the colors look over-saturated compared to the original. The screenshot comparison was 'rigged' as I pointed out. The poster using the screenshot may or may not have originated the 450p Civ6 screen, but it's not what the release screen looks like.

The original comparison was the small 450p Civ6 screenshot vs. a full-res post-release Civ5 screen with unit labels. So I reformatted a Civ5 release screenshot into 450 and make the comparison above, with similar 'hard to see' results. And that's with 5.5 years of looking at those units.

Here's what the Civ6 release screenshot looks like. At full res, it's not hard to see at all.
    The unit formation and pose between the archers and warriors are distinctive. Add in a UI layer and some form of markers and it won't be a problem at all.

Spoiler :

Screenshot used to make a point

Original

3. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

I see what you mean. Well I'm just looking forward to seeing what the more finished product will look like.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I'm with blitzkrieg on this one, it took me two days before I even noticed the swordsman was there. And when that's the case, it doesn't matter if units are similar or very different, then you need the icons anyway even to notice they are there. I'm not saying that was not also the case in Civ5, because it was - those warriors blend into the plains completely - but the bottom line remains, in both games you need the icons to really notice the units from the terrain, and then it becomes a moot point whether they are easy to distinguish from the model or not.

5. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I agree

6. Toulouse

Toulouse Warlord

Maybe the sword men are in an ambush stance, i.e. Hiding?

7. MosheLevi

MosheLevi Prince

I am turned off by the Civ 6 graphics big time.

I cannot stand cartoonish graphics like these.

I won't be buying Civ 6 until they improve the graphics.

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

My bet would be that the swordsmen are Fortified.

I suspect that may be the case.

9. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

I wouldn't hold my breath my friend. These are going to be the style of the graphics. To retool the entire graphic style by October... not going to happen. I'm not sure a boycott of the game will exactly work either as you can see in the poll there are plenty of people who do like it or at least will like it enough to buy the game.

10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

That would be a good design decision. This would mean that grouping all your units into armies of 3 will not be a default decision, which was one of my big objections to this new system. If the choice is between armies-of-3 (stronger power) or grouped units (with special applications), the new system becomes much more appealing.

11. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I think i'll have to wait until I see the game in motion and being able to zoom in and out to fully judge the art style. However from the 3 pictures so far I do like the art style.

The graphics are a step up as well IMO.

12. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Also, a grouped unit doesn't have the same offensive capability as the same number of individual units; in the example that was given, a Rifleman Corps has only 40% more combat strength than an individual Rifleman (in Civ V terms this would be 47 vs. 34), so two Rifleman can potentially beat a Corps if they're used properly.

13. MosheLevi

MosheLevi Prince

I am afraid you are right.
    But that's OK, I am still enjoying playing Civ 4 and Civ 5.

I think that since Civ 6 is moving to a cartoonish art style then maybe they should add Micky Mouse, Goofy, and Donald Duck as great leaders.
    I think that will match the atmosphere nicely. ;)

14. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

Sigh, still looks like some child's toy to me. I've got 7000 hours in CivV but doubt I will in VI. It just looks like games I played many years ago and that was the best that could be done then, but now I have a 980ti not a TRS-80 and I would hope the graphics would progress not regress like they seem to have, sadly. I'll wait until it's a $10 sale then join in.

It's not the color brightness/saturation BTW, that would be easy to deal with just like I adjust color on my TV for different uses. I find the Disney style and lack of terrain detail is just a turn off, and the trees are straight out of a 1990's simulator. They might as well do it like the first PC flight simulator that was limited to 16 colors (VGA), so ground was brown and water was dark blue and sky was light blue: that's what it is resembling to me (and it was great then but not now).

15. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Its not more saturated, though, its just smaller. I see the same problems with the larger screenshot. If you're looking at the warriors, you can see them; but there's so much going on to distract your focus away from them. What I'm saying is the style doesn't create a good visual focus.

In the Civ5 screenshot, the units themselves look similar -- although I find it easier to distinguish between them in the actual game than in the screenshot. However, they also stand out more against the background; the art style creates better visual focus. In all, I prefer the Civ5 style much more not only for aesthetics but for clarity.

I think the icon overlays were the best solution all around. They were practical, first of all, and also were a good stylistic aspect of the game. With Civ6, the intent seems to be to show everything in the basic graphics, but I'm not sure why that's even necessary. We're going to need some type of overlays anyway, for the sake of clarity, as I'm pointing out. Its going to be difficult to spot units in the terrain without overlays. So why bother with exaggerating proportions and colors to make the actual base units more distinguishable, while at the same time making the graphics less pretty? The overlays were the better solution.

They could have also taken the Civ5 style and tweaked it instead of going 180.

16. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I disagree. For me they took away from the immersion. I could never play with them switched on permanently, only when I needed to find archaeology sites.

I understand their usefulness but to me they worked better as an occasional map aid.

17. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

As long as we can't see the strategic map mode, if there is one, I don't care. The 3D view I'll never use anyway.

18. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Sounds like you would want there to be a strategic map mode then.

19. Synth

Synth Warlord

I'm not really a fan of the way it looks, but I think the reasons they gave for using this style are very good ones.

20. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

There's a lot more in the Civ6 art style that takes away from immersion, if we're going to get into that topic.

You're talking about the resource icons or the unit icons? I liked the unit icons much more than the resource icons. I thought they were a very nice part of the game, especially since they were persistent when you zoomed out really far or went into strategic view. And ultimately the whole UX of civ is a strategic HUD over a real map, and it fit in with the city name overlays, etc. The resource icon overlays were not as nice, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.