[R&F] Article Discussion: Cree Nation Headman says he disapproves of Poundmaker's depiction in RnF

more than anything, i think even getting any input at all from the real life cree nation is a good effort, even if the response isn't necessarily what fans of the genre want to hear

it's probably inevitable that there would be a disparity in understanding with regards to how civ works as a game; a competitive strategy game in which players use real life civilizations as muses, rather than historically accurate representations of said civilizations

that's not a bad thing, and the type of contact this game helped initiate is a good one, so i'm glad firaxis did this

Nice. I haven't heard of any progress on this issue, but I assume everyone involved is reasonably satisfied since there aren't any gripes either.

Major Bump:

Canada signed Bill C-262, which means that Canada now recognizes the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and is now part of Canadian law: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/saganash-undrip-bill-passes-1.4684889

Maybe now Tootoosis has some legal legs to stand on w.r.t Poundmaker? IDK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indig...Rights_of_Indigenous_Peoples,_September,_2007

I'm a math grad and law in general is like "voodoo" to me. This is a very hazy, progressive and controversial area of law that conflicts with many traditional legal principles practiced in the capitalist world so IDK how things will materialise w.r.t. indigenous IP of leaders like Poundmaker.

Is it retroactive? :dunno:

But that should be good news in general for The Cree nation.

This is probably one of the most interesting points from that wiki. It's from the Criticisms and Problems section.

"• Intellectual property is an idea that belongs to European culture, and its use by indigenous peoples is hypocrisy"

From my exposure to Indians in the US (grew up in Oklahoma) they don't really consider cultural concepts and ideas or thoughts as being owned by a particular person. I'm guessing some leaders of some of the tribes have began to see this as an error that led to much of the corrosion of those things originally and have changed their thought process on this. But that could be seen as further corrosion of their culture and concepts in and of itself.

This is probably one of the most interesting points from that wiki. It's from the Criticisms and Problems section.

"• Intellectual property is an idea that belongs to European culture, and its use by indigenous peoples is hypocrisy"

From my exposure to Indians in the US (grew up in Oklahoma) they don't really consider cultural concepts and ideas or thoughts as being owned by a particular person. I'm guessing some leaders of some of the tribes have began to see this as an error that led to much of the corrosion of those things originally and have changed their thought process on this. But that could be seen as further corrosion of their culture and concepts in and of itself.
That's painting with awfully broad strokes. The indigenous people of the PNW absolutely had a concept of intellectual or symbolic property and considered it just as valuable as physical property--to the point that giving names, songs, and crests could be part of a peace treaty, marriage contract, or tribute.

That's painting with awfully broad strokes. The indigenous people of the PNW absolutely had a concept of intellectual or symbolic property and considered it just as valuable as physical property--to the point that giving names, songs, and crests could be part of a peace treaty, marriage contract, or tribute.

Property laws are all over the place, globally, whether you're talking fixed/moveable/intellectual property or you're talking communal/familial/individual ownership.

It's fair to say that they evolve over time in response to the needs of the society, and that no particular approach is "best" in all circumstances.

No, it changes nothing with respect to that.

Shame. I certainly hope in the future laws will be enacted to protect and respect indigenous leaders like Poundmaker and their depictions as well.

Although the Poundmaker issue may not have incensed gamers, the EULA certainly did. Thank God for GDPR. There is a thing called Karma :D

I think most gamers aren't concerned about the EULA, and last we heard this issue had been addressed by communication between Firaxis and the Cree headman.

I think you're making issues where they're aren't any, blackbutterfly.

Top Bottom