1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: On Games and Addiction

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mutax2003, Mar 31, 2008.

1. mutax2003

mutax2003 Rider of China, 4-3-3

http://www.firaxis.com/educators/teachers.php?page=COMMDS05

What do you guys think of this article? I admit that I had in the past either give away or destroy game cd's, just so I can cram for important exams or finish an overdue project. Of course there are less drastic measures for people with more will power, but it is harder for those with addictive personality.

2. wannabewarlord

wannabewarlord Prince

Interesting topic. I couldn't read the article yet (work filter) but I read many others, plus I think a lot about the topic myself.

I used to consider myself somewhat addicted to World of Warcraft. However, I had one simple rule: I will never play on friday and saturday eve, since these were my evenings to go out and party thus engaging in real-life social interaction. Every other evening though was fair game.

I managed to stick to that rule but I have to admit that often on days I could not play, I felt a strong urge and a longing, often thinking about builds/tactics/raids and whatnot.

After a while though, I got bored. I simply played less and less, so no drastic measure was needed to "cut off" my fix. I simply cancelled my account one day and haven't looked back since.

And here comes Civilization4. Again, I admit to a longing feeling while at work and I read up on tactics and techniques, browsing these forums, thinking about moves and games I have going. Getting excited to try out new stuff and getting better at the game. I even have the occasional dream about it. However, I have such a limited schedule (work, girlfriend, other obligations) that I simply physically cannot (i.e. no access to my PC) play to such an amount you would consider "unhealthy" or "addicted", so maybe that is a good thing.

Games are ulimately entertainment/excitement that you should consume in moderation as many other things and gaming itself has come a long way from being "just for geeks" to a more accepted hobby (but is still far away from being broadly accepted. It's weird; I always laughed at people looking down at gamers while they were wasting away in fron of TV, being even less productive. Games at least are interactive and can even be educational).

Anyways, just thought I contribute some of my thoughts to get this thread going.

cheers
    -wannabewarlord

3. magicalsushi

magicalsushi Prince

For what it's worth, this forum is probably the biggest driver of my Civ 4 addiction. I can sometimes manage to wean myself off the game itself, but I often check the forum while waiting for code to compile at work (no pointless xkcd references, please), and it tends to get me fired up about trying out new tactics or map types - presto, readdiction!

4. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

I also browse these forums during lunch at work, and find myself longing to get back home to try new things. I have a fair number of games, but BtS is almost constantly in my DVD drive, ready and waiting. Sometimes I have the best of intentions to go home and study Java (Open University), but find myself double-clicking that BtS icon and two hours later, I'm behind on my studies again.

Having said that I don't consider that I'm addicted...I'll usually catch up my studies over a four hour session on a Saturday or Sunday, and BtS gets sidelined as it should. So perhaps I manage 6-8 hours of BtS a week, not a lot by any stretch.

However, the addiction of some people benefits everyone. Look at Sisiutil and his ALC games. Now THAT'S dedication and quite possibly addiction. The number of people that series has helped (including myself) is probably quite high, so Sisiutil can feel proud that his addiction helps feed the addictions of other CIV players! :)

5. Endure

Endure Prince

People with addictive personalities will get addicted to something. Be it alcohol, work, drugs, gaming, smoking, shopping, etc, etc.

It's unfortunate but it's a fact of life for many people. None of it is healthy but I would think that being addicted to gaming is not as bad as being addicted to alcohol or drugs, and cheaper then being addicted to something like shopping. (Course many won't view it nearly as "good" as being addicted to work, but that's very unhealthy as well).

Even people who break their addictive holds on gaming will often fill that void eventually with an addiction to something else unless they very careful watch themselves and moderate themselves in everything that they do.

I myself am probably mildly addicted to gaming. When a game first comes out, I play it a ton, but gradually wean myself off and look to other interests. My school work invariably suffers from being neglected. However, I don't consider really think that's the result of an addiction as my dislike for schoolwork. Even before I started gaming, I often neglected my schoolwork for whatever else came to hand :p

(I still do fine in school, just not as well as I could be doing).

6. NeverSurrender

NeverSurrender Warlord

*Stands up*

Hello, my name is Sean and I'm addicted to Civilizaton 4.

*Everyone claps*

I've only been playing the game for a few months, started around Christmas, and never played any of the previous versions, though I did extensively play Colonization. I started on settler level and have progressed through to monarch now. Not long after I started playing it I had a 24 hour session, thats straight through, with only the occasional drink, toilet and sandwich break. I no doubt woke up and loaded the game straight up again (though I don't believe I went on to have another 24 hour session, probably more like 12). I think this is the most addictive game I have ever played and it is a little concerning because I am in constant conflict with my id, and he's one bad mofo.

My hope is to glut on the game till I am sick of it and need a good few months break, but I'm not sure that will happen anytime soon. Still I have made some efforts to curb my addiction - I have banned myself from playing it till the weekend as I have an important essay to write for my open university course. However as things stand I'm yet to start said essay, and instead I find myself in a C.A. meeting. All I can think about is getting this damn essay finished on Friday, submitting it and loading up my fix. And why the hell shouldn't I??

*Sits down* :blush: