Artifacts age randomly assigned?

Siptah

Eternal Chieftain
I eliminated Japan in Classical Era in a game. Much later, I dug our an artifact near his former cities which turned out to be from Hojo (no other options). Surprisingly, the artifact was a map from industrial era.

I never encountered that before R&F. I was sure that I remembered a lot that of the fights etc that lead to artifacts and knew beforehand where I need to look for ancient or more modern artifacts (although I often confused ancient and classical fights).

I had multiple artifacts that puzzled me in R&F and the one described above is just the most impossible example. Are ages assigned to artifacts randomly in R&F? Makes archeology much more based on luck and less interesting.

It sure seems that way. I remember eliminating Brazil in a game back around 2000 BC and I kept finding Industrial era Brazilian artifacts.

That's a funny shortcut for them to have taken, considering the effort they went into to tie the location of the artifacts to particular cultures and events (notably battles).

I'm guessing it was motivated by an intent to make theming more challenging by allocating artifacts roughly equally across the eras. Maybe when there isn't enough later game warfare, they reallocate some sites to other eras? Or perhaps they just make it all purely random.

This is disappointing, perhaps it’s a bug?

It’s obviously keeping track of the civs involved, so I’d be surprised if the ages were completely random on purpose.

I don’t think I’ve personally noticed anything as jarring as the cases here.

I eliminated Japan in Classical Era in a game. Much later, I dug our an artifact near his former cities which turned out to be from Hojo (no other options). Surprisingly, the artifact was a map from industrial era.

I never encountered that before R&F. I was sure that I remembered a lot that of the fights etc that lead to artifacts and knew beforehand where I need to look for ancient or more modern artifacts (although I often confused ancient and classical fights).

I had multiple artifacts that puzzled me in R&F and the one described above is just the most impossible example. Are ages assigned to artifacts randomly in R&F? Makes archeology much more based on luck and less interesting.

I got the same results. I eliminated France in the Ancient era, but every French artifact I've uncovered has been from the Industrial Era. The consistency makes me thing this is a bug.

Otherwise, my head canon is that a stateless and immortal Catherine de Medici is wandering the wastes between borders, leaving remnants of her camps as she flees capture by my relentlessly pursuing troops.

A few days ago I eliminated Georgia in the ancient/classical era only to excavate an industrial Georgian artifact thousands years later. I would call it a bug.

I'm calling it a bug. It would be one thing if the artifact was from an era after the civ was eliminated - you could argue remnants remained for a bit. But the late age is just weird

Edit: does fire tuner allow one to see the era of unexcavated artifacts?

They probably did it for theming balance purposes, but it's kind of silly. I'm thinking it was intentional and not a bug.

The only problem is it makes boosting Cultural Heritage a crapshoot, unless you rely on paintings (lol)

Of course even when I boost it, the game says screw you and gives it to me as one of the free civics from Bolshoi.

Also while we're at it, does anyone actually boost conservation? You'd have to build a useless neighborhood covering a breathtaking tile. And then the AI can use it to recruit terrorists.

The only problem is it makes boosting Cultural Heritage a crapshoot, unless you rely on paintings (lol)

Of course even when I boost it, the game says screw you and gives it to me as one of the free civics from Bolshoi.

Also while we're at it, does anyone actually boost conservation? You'd have to build a useless neighborhood covering a breathtaking tile. And then the AI can use it to recruit terrorists.
Just did it in my current game. But it's a long, relaxed game as Poundmaker on a huge map aiming for a religious victory. Even put the neighborhood on a breathtaking flat coastal tile as I have no plans to build any seaside resorts.

If I have a nicely fitting tundra or desert tile in a city that is at its housing limit...

same here. i eliminated the dutch i believe in the classical era, and then later found three dutch artifacts around her former territory all dating to the industrial era. seems to be a pattern with industrial...

I do it more games than not. Neighbourhoods generally don't cost that much so I don't mind diverting a single city from running projects to get the boost.

I've never had the AI recruit terrorists from it yet. That would be fun. As the only Neighbourhood in my empire, I guess the odds that it gets targeted is low.

You cannot "eliminate" other civs in the game (due to unrazeable capitals), you can just take over their cities ... see it as having a dominant culture from your empire and hidden underground culture from the conquered civs.

You cannot "eliminate" other civs in the game (due to unrazeable capitals), you can just take over their cities ... see it as having a dominant culture from your empire and hidden underground culture from the conquered civs.
It doesn't even need to be an underground culture. Many cities have distinct culture that is unique to them, their area or their previous occupants even hundreds/thousands of years later.
When you travel through Spain you get numerous cultural variations, from the basque country to the Muslim influenced southern cities. So many cities in the south are still heavily influenced in their architecture and culture by the Muslim occupation over a thousand years ago.

I nearly always get this boost. I like large cities. Maybe it's not optimum gameplay, but it should be. Winning the game with size 11 or 12 cities seems silly. How can you call your civilization great when you don't have any cities over size 15? And if I'm going to build a neighborhood, I want it to be +6 if possible.

Funny to think that terrorists are coming from nice peaceful suburb neighborhoods LOL. Inner cities are usually the breeding grounds for terrorists.

I nearly always get this boost. I like large cities. Maybe it's not optimum gameplay, but it should be. Winning the game with size 11 or 12 cities seems silly. How can you call your civilization great when you don't have any cities over size 15? And if I'm going to build a neighborhood, I want it to be +6 if possible.

Funny to think that terrorists are coming from nice peaceful suburb neighborhoods LOL. Inner cities are usually the breeding grounds for terrorists.
Well, maybe in Vanilla. Democracy pretty much renders housing irrelevant and is not even far away from urbanization.

In my games, artifact era and nationalities seem pretty consistent with how game has played out; doesn't feel random.

Top Bottom