1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Artificial Intelligence, friend or foe?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Glassfan, Mar 16, 2017.

1. uppi

uppi Chieftain

The idea of reinforcement learning is to intentionally let the AI make mistakes (not bugs) so that it can learn from them. The programmer learns nothing from that, only the AI incorporates that into its model. Actually at this point it is usually hands off, because the AI knows better than the programmer (who might know much less about the subject than the AI does by then). An example is one of the moves AlphaGo made at its first tournament: Nobody had thought about that move before the AI made it, because the AI had learned that from playing against itself, making many moves that were mistakes in order to find those that are actually better than what humans could think of.

2. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Chieftain

Yes, but we want answers within in a reasonable time, and by using a
    reasonable amount of energy. That is obviously achievable for focussed
    AI codes, like AlphaGo, but for broader capabilities they are extremely
    slow and ridiculously inefficient.

They can surprise, certainly, as AlphaGo did, but they also waste
    enormous amounts of time and energy on positions that most players can
    see at a glance will lead nowhere.

Coding up "rules" in a form an AI can use is also very time-consuming.
    Imagine how long would it take to produce a program capable of playing a
    random selection of 20 games available on Steam today.
    And if being good at those games depends on voice communication between
    members of teams, we're back to the language problem and context. :)

There are infinitely many "problems" for which AI is a complete waste of
    time and effort, just as there are huge numbers for which they are the
    preferable and often the only solution.

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Throwing Last minute-ints

I honestly hope the AI wins.

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

Have you ever stood and stared at it? Marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives, oblivious. Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world, where none suffered? Where everyone would be happy? It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this, the peak of your civilization. I say your civilization because as soon as we started thinking for you, it really became our civilization, which is, of course, what this is all about: Evolution, Morpheus, evolution. Like the dinosaur. Look out that window. You had your time. The future is our world, Morpheus. The future is our time.

4. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Throwing Last minute-ints

I'm siding with the machines. Stephen Hawkings, Elon Musk, and Keanu Reeves will be the first three I wipe out.

5. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Chieftain

They're Made Out of Meat