1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Artillery

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by pond, Mar 31, 2004.

1. pond

pond Chieftain

I have never used catapults, canons nor artillery

could you give me a reason why i should use them ?

thx in advance...

2. Jawz II

Jawz II Oh Dear

they rock

3. thefrenchzulu

thefrenchzulu Chieftain

4. rschissler

rschissler Chieftain

I never use catapults or cannon, but artillery, yes.

5. wilbill

wilbill That Old Time Religion

With a decent stack of artillery you can bombard the AI's units down to one or two hitpoints before using your regular units to attack. This results in fewer casualties. It's almost a necessity to do this to capture large, well defended cities without taking huge losses in your attacking force.

6. Berrern

Berrern Chieftain

A good trick to avoid War Weariness is to make sure you dont lose (many) units! And the best way to ensure that is to first soften up the target city with artillery, pounding every city improvement, and every defensive unit down to one hitpoint - before moving in your attack forces. It's really effective, believe me!

Fortifying some artillery units in your cities is also a good move, cause when the enemy attacks, the artillery will take away 1 hitpoint from him before he starts his attack.

7. JMK

JMK Chieftain

this will allow you:
    To weaken your enemy before attacking them so, you will have a much better ratio of victory, you will keep your units alive get a lot of Elite Units and then of course a better chance for Great Leader or MLG should you play C3C.
    By keeping your units alive you won't have to replace them so often and you will be able to build improvement in your cities even during war.

Also catapult can be upgrated to trebuchet (C3C), Canon then to Arti and Radar Arti. so it never become obsolete.

Ground Unit Arti is a must have when you will have to fight a civ that is a few Tech ahead of you (not so rare at high level), fighting infantry with Cavalry and no arti support is a NOGO, but as soon as you have arti and can redline infantry it is OK.

if this is not enough reasons for you to build Ground Unit Arti then you should play at higher level.;)

N.B. Do not forget to get all squares roaded that will help moving your arti specially Catapults that can not go through mountain if no road. So you will need workers.

8. pond

pond Chieftain

thx for the advice

i will try it in my next game :D

9. Fanatica

Fanatica Strategic Mapmaker

I especially like artillery to cover mountain passes or other choke points. It produces a type of gauntlet exhibiting extreme punishment upon any who dare to pass.

10. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

i started using them in my last game, i too didn't see the real point of using them but after reading some things from this forum i decided to give it a try. Well, it worked! Wow! You really lose less units in war, and when there is a huge invasion force on your borders, you can make it disaeppear in notime with artillery (and cannons etc.)

11. zerksees

zerksees in remission

playing in republic or democracy?

Artillery help slow down the effects of war weariness by allowing you to lose less units. This means more turns at war before the luxury slider is needed, leaving more gold for research or rush building improvements.

Oh yes artillery does rock.

In later stages of the game artillery often makes up 30% of my army.

12. Centrius4

Centrius4 Chieftain

Do you guys use catapults or cannons though? I've tried using them before i pump out my artillery. I really have a hard time with them. I had a stack of about 20 of them barraging a city that i was invading and only 1 or 2 would hit something.

13. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Catapults are useful in defensive attacks, where the enemy unit is on low ground.

I also agree that artillery does rock. Once I attacked a metropolis on a hill defended by 10 mech infantries with a stack of 100 artillery and 50 infantry and won. Ouch at the casualties still though. :(

14. Fanatica

Fanatica Strategic Mapmaker

It's true that catapults are less effective, but I've been using them to weaken enemy galley ships as they pass my shoreline. This allows my galleys to have a slight advantage when attacking. It's always I nice bonus to sink a galley full of enemy troops before they can land.

15. zagnut

zagnut Monarch

I don't find much use for Catapaults. However, Cannon are a good unit to start building so that you can upgrade them to Artillery. By the time Cannons are available, you probably have several unproductive cities. I usually use them to produce either Workers or Cannon. Then when Artillery is available, I upgrade those Cannon and can really pound the AI.

The war weariness issue is often overlooked. As in real life, you want to preserve as many units as possible. If you do you can fight wars frequently and still stay in Republic. I generally stay in Republic throughout the entire game and can do so because I bombard my enemies cities and units with Artillery so that my units can kill them more easily.

16. pond

pond Chieftain

Suppose you have 10 artillery units in an attacked city. The attackers will be taken under fire but i do not see the advantage of it against the not-first attacker. If the artillery unit has fired once, you can not use it another time, right?

17. JMK

JMK Chieftain

An attacking unit can only be fired once.
    So if you have 10 arti units in a city the 10 first attacking units will be fired, each one only once.
    If you have only 5 attacking units, only 5 arti units will fire.

18. pond

pond Chieftain

so, you need a mass amount of artillery in every city to be succesfull in bringing the attacking unit number down

seems not very effecient to me

19. dreamvirus

dreamvirus Tai Chi Master 1(1).12.1

Not very efficient if you're just using them for defence. However the same stack of artillery would also be used to attack the units as they approach your city. That's the point of artillery - they are a flexible, relocatable force of unites that you use to reduce the hit points of units you want to attack, or which you don't want to attack you. They are difficult to use before railroads, but once you have railroads - which, let's face it, you should have by the time you get Replaceable Parts :) - then stacks of artillery can be scooted around your empire as needed to attack incoming enemy forces. It may seem inefficient to you to have a giant stack of artillery but let's take an example. You can probably expect to lose 1 or 2 cavalry in order to kill one veteran enemy infantry - maybe more if the infantry is fortified in a city. However, if you've used artillery to bring that infantry down to 1 hp. you will *very rarely* lose a unit to kill that infantry. So in not losing 1 cavalry you've already paid for 1 artillery - and you can re-use your artillery turn after turn. Instead of having to build hordes and hordes of cavalry or tanks, you can have large stacks of artillery, defended by infantry, and backed up by a small attacking force of cavalry which mops up the weakened enemy troops.

As regards defence, once you have artillery and railroads you need never lose a city again. Don't fortify the artillery but have them as a felxible relocatable stack that you can move to wherever they're needed. As regards attack, there's some excellent advice on this forum about how to use artillery stacks, settlers and cavalry to take out 3 or 4 enemy cities per turn. Basically the idea is that you use a settler to build a city that pushes back the enemy's border to within 2 squares of his city - then you move your artillery into place 2 squares away and bombard the city until the defenders are all down to the red - then send in your cavalry to clean up and take the city. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Artillery are THE most efficient way to wage war! :)

20. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

my advice: just try it! thats what i did and i cannot understand how i managed without them!