As a child, did your parents spank you?

Were you spanked?

• No. They never touched me.

Votes: 37 19.6%
  • Once or twice, when I really pushed it....

Votes: 85 45.0%
  • Often.

Votes: 34 18.0%
  • Spanked? Well I have memories involving a belt....

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Wait, your parents stopped when you became an adult? WTF?

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • My dad is Joseph Fritzl

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I like watching Downtown spank radioactive monkeys.

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters
Speaking about this, today was the millionth time I've seen a mother outside with her daughter, who slipped on a paper on the street and fell, and then as she struggled to get up the first thing the mother did was yell at her and spank her. :( The girl was about 5-6.

Seriously, as I've said before, I would "spank" the mother for that, I'm curious if they would like it if it was someone twice as big as they are, doing it...

It seems it's almost a custom to spank your child after he/she falls down on a street. :crazyeye: I will never understand some people.

:mad: How dare you embarass Mommy in front of strangers who don't care who she is and will never see her again?

I don't know what it is with that, but I've seen it often as well. These are the parents who treat children like accessories to their wardrobe and not living, thinking people.

:mad: How dare you embarass Mommy in front of strangers who don't care who she is and will never see her again?

I don't know what it is with that, but I've seen it often as well. These are the parents who treat children like accessories to their wardrobe and not living, thinking people.

Yeah, that might very well be the explanation.

In any case, I really hate this kind of mentality.

It seems it's almost a custom to spank your child after he/she falls down on a street. I will never understand some people.

You do it because their being clumsy and need to be more careful. Whack them on the back of their head for being a ******.

Speaking about this, today was the millionth time I've seen a mother outside with her daughter, who slipped on a paper on the street and fell, and then as she struggled to get up the first thing the mother did was yell at her and spank her. :( The girl was about 5-6.

Seriously, as I've said before, I would "spank" the mother for that, I'm curious if they would like it if it was someone twice as big as they are, doing it...

It seems it's almost a custom to spank your child after he/she falls down on a street. :crazyeye: I will never understand some people.

What a strange person she is.

If a step dad who beats you until you have to go to the hospital is spanking, then count me in. I'm so glad those days are over. Gave me a life lesson though, never hit your kids unless you want them to royally screw you over in court.

I was hit by a metal lawn chair in the head and shoulder one time. I should have just taken the trash out and not been a smartass.
Now that is crossing the line into abuse.

But yes, you should have just taken the trash out and not been a smartass. :p Parents are gods to be worshipped and obeyed unconditionally until you (a) are prepared enough to move out and earn your own upkeep (Yay freedom!) or (b) earn so much years later that you get to play the role of filial son and so get assigned the role of taking them in when they're old and retired.

All the time, Twice we (my brother, sister and I) even got "b-times" which meant every morning for two weeks we got spanked to start the day, to make sure we were good.

Not really parents, it was more just my mom.

[simpsons quote] I was spanked by grover Cleveland on two non consecutive occasions.[/simpsons quote]

My dad still calls his parents mom and dad.
My parents refer to both sets of my grandparents as "Mom" and "Dad" (e.g. my mom would call my paternal grandmother "Mom"). It was kinda surreal the first time I noticed it.
Seriously, as I've said before, I would "spank" the mother for that
:groucho: Me too.

I was smacked by everyone (so I here) when I was 1 to 3. On the hand or something like that. For messing with the stove or something else that I needed to associate with pain.

A smack on the hand is a good way to help a toddler not seriously injure themselves.

I never did anything around my dad when I was with him out of fear/respect.

My mom forbid my stepdad from disciplining me. (lived with him from 4+ though I did visit my dad a lot) So from 4 - 10 I probably got a spanking by my mom 10 or 25 times with the belt on the behind. It no longer hurt me when I was in the *tenth grade so she stopped when she saw I didn't cry this one time.

All told if my dad was around I would never have needed to be spanken. For one we are very similar and I know he would have taken my side in the arguments I had with my mom which resulted in a spnkings. More importantly, me being scared of him would have been enough to make me do something.

My dad is super chill. So he wouldn't force me to do anything worth rebelling against really.

I've been essentially the "discipliner" for my youngest sister. ........ I she was very rebelious and I probably smacked her on the butt twice a week every week when she was 5-6 (not real hard, just enough to make her cry and nothing hard like what I got with the belt). She is 8 now and never disobeys me. If I so much as raise my voice what ever my mom tells me to tell her is done. ...... No need for time out, restrictions or anything.

Being a dad is going to be easy for me I think :)

Edit:
*Fifth grade, when I was 10. I meant.

I've seen that so often, i always thought it was like this everywhere. I.e. for some reason mothers get ******ed once they have a kid and do that every single time. Strange that it's only here.

I dunno, if my kid falls and cries why more than I deem necessary. I would threaten them with "something to cry about"

Falling is permitted, getting up is an obligation.

In every part of life. A lot of little kids cry way to much and ham it up for extra affection from their parents. They cry for everything. ....... sometimes you have to toughen up a kid.

...... Then again some people just beat the rap out of their kids for no reason.

Child buttock-beating for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why hitting kids isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
by Tom Johnson

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
by Lesli Taylor, M.D. and Adah Maurer, Ph.D.

Simple question, did your parents ever spank you? Did it work and would you spank your children if you ever had them.

poll inc

Poll option badly needs a 'when I needed it' option...

Top Bottom