1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

As a muslim, how do you take the anti islam comments posted on this forum?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mopheo, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Thadlerian

Thadlerian Dreamin' of a RED X-mas!

Being a Muslim, I would most likely be patient about intolerant insults and other mental shortcomings of the westerners.

However, threads like "Why are arabs so backward", as we had some months ago, would outrage me.

2. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

Anyone who thinks there isn't anti-Islamic sentiment displayed on these forums needs to read more carefully. I was also amazed that when I reported a post from someone who stated they were a "hater of Muslims" (about as bigoted as you can get) no action was taken against the writer (and I'm not talking just about moderator action, I mean there weren't many other readers condemning this idiot).

Generally, I just ignore those posting anti-Islamic messages. It is clear to me that not only are there a number of racists on these forums, but that these racists are tolerated. I consider myself fortunate living in the UK, especially as we have sizeable Muslim populations, that generally we don't have much anti-Islamic sentiment. From what CGannon says, however, i take it there is much more of this in the USA (partly understandable due to 9/11 and all that). Of course, it does not help when politicians substitute "Islamist" for "terrorist" :rolleyes: I mean, do we call the IRA "Christianists"?

For me the saddest thing post 9/11 is that tolerance and equality have been pushed back 50 years. The ironic thing is that this is exactly what the hijackers would have wanted: to precipitate a world struggle, to paint a picture of civilizations at war. At the moment, I would say they are winning.

3. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

They outrage me too. dunno if i posted in those threads, but i probably would have made my opinion known. The number of people who don't even try/are mentally unable to comprehend a different culture astounds me.

I have certainly noticed the comments, they certainly seem even more disdainful than the posts towards christians (if that's possible :))

4. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

All this talk has got me curious...

What exactly is the progressive and tolerant stance of Islam toward the rights of women?

5. MrPresident

MrPresident Anglo-Saxon Liberal

I don't think there are any more offensive statements about Islam then there are about Christianity or any other religion. I think the most common statement about Islam is one of confessed ignorance.

6. Dr. Dr. Doktor

Dr. Dr. Doktor Emperor

Also one thing I find curious. Why is not allowed for a muslim to be right-wing. It is like the whole issue on blacks in America. there are the cutesy 'uncle tom' types who are oh so humane and well-meaning. However whenever a black man expresses right-wing view points he is immediately considered to be a violent prone psychopath, probably brain-washed by Louis Farakhan.

The same thing with Muslims. We like the leftist liberal types, well they are allowed to speak anyway, but if they begin to express themselves in nationalistic or religious imagery, then they are immediately branded as terrorist supporters.

But why is Muslim or Arab nationalism or strong attachment to religious belief considered more odious than Christain or Jewish?

Why would a right-wing Muslim automatically be a supporter of Osama bin Laden? I know Bush has been a supporter of him, then he only had a reputation of killing Russians of course, but Bush is not a Muslim - he is a Christian.

7. HannibalBarka

HannibalBarka We are Free

the same as the christian. one exception, Divorce has always been tolerated in Islam.

8. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

Wrong

9. HannibalBarka

As a muslim atheist, I don't give a s*** about anti-muslim posts. I am not going to get angry at stupid people.

10. G-Man

G-Man A One Man's War

Like nearly everything in all monotheistic religions, there are countless interepertations.

As to criticism of Islam - I accept criticism of muslim leaders or individuals for serious reasons. I don't accept a hate, criticism, etc of all muslims or of the muslim religion in general, and I don't accept hating/criticizing someone for being a muslim, other than maybe criticism regarding religions in general.

I believe monotheistic religions are open enough for interepertations to be able to be as good and as bad as you make of them.

11. samildanach

samildanach Necrophile

Yes, but I bet they were hoping to influence as many people as possible with their bile. Flim-flamming some easily led neanderthals to get pay back for some percieved sleight - freeing them from the unpleasentness of ickey Jewish, Bosnian etc blood on their shirt cuffs. And also minimising the chances of their being exposed as lying cowards.

12. HannibalBarka

It doesn't happen a lot that I agree with you (since we have different opinions about the ME, and that is the subject we talk much about), so I seize the occasion and send you a :goodjob:

13. Norlamand

Norlamand Procrastinator Rex

????

Is that similar to a Catholic atheist or closer to a Hasidic atheist?

As for the comments, they are no worse or better than the antisemetic, anti-french, anti-american, anti-catholic, anti-canadian.......(insert your favored group).....comments of others. Let them post away and defend their positions.......of course within the constraints set by the mods.

14. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

Not A Muslim.

Perhalps It would be worthwille to start shunning cristyanity -- for the crusades and collonal age convertion of non cristians etcetera... Seems to make more sence.

15. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

that's because right-wingers ARE violence prone brainwashed psychopaths :D

a muslim atheist?

Start? that's been going on the whole time i've been here :confused:

16. Pontiuth Pilate

Pontiuth Pilate Republican Jesus!

a muslim atheist?

Why not, I'm a Jewish agnostic! ;)

I think his point was that it is possible to be culturally Islamic [or Arabic I guess is the better term, unless he's Bangladeshi or Turkish or something like that] while still refraining from believing in the particular god attached to that culture.

EDIT: Knowing that he's French, it's far more likely that he's North African, eh? ;) slipped my mind, sorry.

17. Norlamand

Norlamand Procrastinator Rex

:lol: A Jew named Pilate!:lol: The irony is precious. Now the nutcases out there that want to blame the death of Christ on the Jews have a living icon on which to focus their blind rage!

Edit: and me an agnostic without a religion to not be sure whether to believe in or not.......

18. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

As Norlamand may have observed, many stereotypes braekdown in our home area, San Antonio, as in many areas in the West. The most typical muslim in the area is ethnicly Latino, but we have a wide variety. The most common arab group, I believe, is Christian of lebanese descent (and of such long time families here that few would think of them as arab, many of them prominent in the legal comunity here.) An lot of the stereotyping of Islam come from the very common condition of Muslim Arab countries in the ME and North Africa. Poor, badly governed, uneducated, illeterate, oppressed by one force or another, lack of access to world media or the internet, propagandized and subject to demagogery in their schools and the rest of their lives. The just realease report by some UN committee on the conditions of Muslims is interesting if a bit stange in viewpoint. (odd little statistics like there are as many book translated into Spanish in a year as there have translated into Aravic in the last 1000 years.) This commonality of bad conditions will tend to lead to some coomon characteristic and stereotyping.

19. Al Zan

Al Zan King

as a muslim i hate the persons whoever said a anti Islam comment!

20. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

I've found many a Muslim who respect and treat women as equals.

That is yet another generalization that sets back progress.