As a old player of CIV series for 15 years, I have to say CIV5 is the worst

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by dickens, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WRL07

WRL07 Chieftain

I think they take up way to much of the screen, even with the smaller interface option selected.

Interface is all the stuff on your screen that's not the game. The huge buttons, constantly having to minimize the tech info, stuff like that.

Can we even rotate the camera anymore?

2. Teperi Blaze

Teperi Blaze Warlord

Then I'm biased as well.

CIV1 brought me a never seen experience in gaming, there might have been a couple of slightly similar games out there and then, but all was strategy war and RPG at that time.

I played RPG and loved the concepts, tried the wargames but wasn't that interested.

Then CIV1 came out of the blue and how I loved the concept, it almost brings me to tears to remember that feeling of fun.

Later of course Civ evolved and still kept me in, but NOTHING can take away that first feeling of a newly invented idea. (at least on a computer).

So, I'm proud of being biased.

I haven't even played 5 yet, so I won't comment on that game...but if it is like CIV4 or even 3 in the beginning, I know it will take a bit of patience and some clever ppl out there to do it right.

I'm looking forward to my copy of CIV5, which will arrive shortly, but I don't have very high expectations for it to be "perfect". It will be in a few months time or maybe a bit longer. Still, it can never take away the feeling from CIV1, which is the foundation of this genre.

So please, don't laugh and snort over it's lack of importance. :)

3. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Yup, my trust in Firaxis has been damaged. They've made the game in Bethe$da style: "we'll count the money and receive (paid) praise, while you lil' folks will do all the dirty work for free :mwaha:"

Very, very sad.

4. Generals3

Generals3 Warlord

I have an internet connection , but , it does happen my provider has problems and i lose my internet connection for a certain time (it can go from 10 minutes to a whole day) . And these are moments where i'm happy to have SP games , but with more and more SP games requiring an internet connection to play i might soon be totally screwed when it happens ><

5. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Seconded. I'm 20 and I've grown up with civ (well, okay, civ 2, but I went back and got civ 1 later), and the couple of games I've played of civ 5 has definitely caught my interest.

Beaten to it. But when it's by Dale, it's not a shame :p

My definition of a good game includes the word "interactive". It's kind of what seperates a game from a movie... You can decide for yourself where you want to take it. In that matter, I think Firaxis' Civilization series (1 thru 5) are among the best.

... You mean you weren't annoyed at the graphics of 4? Archers firing big clumpy arrows, longbowmen with fishing poles in melee, or the clumpy battle graphics?
    I thought it was sad they left the style of III, but V is definitely an improvement over 4 in my opinion.

The store opens now (10 AM), so I'm off to get my own copy :king:

6. Demon Rob

Demon Rob Chieftain

The graphics in Civ 4 are essentially irrelevant to the gameplay. If you want Total War prettiness then Civ5 wins, but the Civ 4 are so much clearer. Fortunately this can all be modded, and hopefully the colour-blind unusable resources city screen can be fixed too.

7. Rince

Rince King

What resolution are you playing at? For me, CivV has the most unintrusive interface of the whole Civ franchise. Definitely a step up from Civ4. Do you have a screenshot of your interface?

3 words: Steam Offline Mode

I'm also a long time Civver by the way. Bought CivI when it came out and the series has been my favourite game ever since. I do love Civ5 and am glad that Firaxis re-invented the game. Sorry for those who don't like the changes but I'm sure the forum will calm down soon.

Funny also how Civ4 is suddenly heralded as the champion in the Civ series. When Civ4 came out, it was attacked much in the same way as Civ5 is now and Civ3 (no kidding) was suddenly the golden standard in Civology.

8. Generals3

Generals3 Warlord

Maybe i'm missing something , don't use steam often, but don't you have to log on to steam in order to be able to play the games?

9. grayggr

grayggr Chieftain

To install yes.

To play no - just go under the steam tab and select offline mode.

10. lachootbg

lachootbg Chieftain

I ask myself how many ppl do realize that THIS IS THE NEW STRATEGY OF ALL MAJOR GAME COMPANIES!!!
    1st ever PC game i played = civ 1
    my favorite game = StarCraft
    after StarCraft went old my favorite game = DotA ...wait... its not a game.. wow... its a mod to an expansion of a game (warcraft)... wow... made for free by some freeks...played by more than 50 000 000 people ( yes or even more)... giving money to pirate servers like "Garena" where every country in the world has its proper rooms/lobby to play this mod and where 80% of their 30 000 000 clients play Dota.. and wait Battle.net for warcraft... what % is still playing the 8 years old original game and what % is playing the ... free mod... (having to pay for the game + expansion before that)...The best business is the one where u can hire someone to run it for u and still pay him awfully bad and still get allmost all the income.

PP. I would like to debate this with modders.

11. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Are you sure you're counting the zeroes properly? How many copies do you think WC3 sold?

12. bipboy

bipboy Chieftain

Civ 5 is just another (console) strategy game. It is not Civ any more.

13. jtwood

jtwood Warlord

14. lachootbg

lachootbg Chieftain

I dont mean only the direct money they get from sells, and i never said they sold that amount of copies. I mostly mean they get the publicity and some money... for free.
    BTW, how many copies did Half Life 1 sold thanks to Counter Strike (mod) ??? (retorical question)

15. jtwood

jtwood Warlord

That's really what it seems it's come to, isn't it?

16. Mahi

Mahi Prince

Wauw the constructiveness and freshness of that argument are just overwhelming. Good point dude:goodjob:

:sad:

17. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Do you want to try to add some original thoughts? If that is too hard would you rather go play a console game?

18. djemonk

djemonk Chieftain

I've been playing Civ since Civ 1 also, and have noticed some trends.

Civ 1 was groundbreaking in its newness and innovation. It was awesome. Civ 2 was basically Civ 1 with all the best ideas they came up with after seeing Civ 1 in action for years.

Civ 3 took the franchise in a new direction with a new graphics engine and some new concepts. It kinda sucked, IMO, and I didn't play it much at all. Civ 4 took Civ 3's ideas and made them a lot of fun. It's been a great game to have and I've really enjoyed playing it.

Civ 5 is again taking things in a new direction. There are a lot of ideas in the game that I'm having fun with. It's not a perfect game, but I'm enjoying how the cities can have a lot more "personality" when you look at them on-screen. I don't know how much replay value this game is going to have yet.

Chances are that Civ 6 will be similar to Civ 5 but way better, and they'll take the franchise in a new direction with Civ 7 again. It's the circle of CivLife.

19. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

It's too early to judge Civ5, in my opinion. I really didn't like Civ4 - it was a very sad realization for me at the time - until BTS was released.

20. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Same here. Last time I saw this much crying I was at a day care picking up my niece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.