As close as it gets..(details of an amazing comeback-win)

Downer

Chieftain
Ok first let me explain the details: I played the 3rd introductory conquest scenario called "Intro 3: New Alliances" as the Netherlands, on regent difficulty and normal aggresive AI. My objective was to eliminate my two rivals(Germans and the Byzantines) with my ally(Portugal) within 100 turns(whichever alliance had the most points at the end won). You could also win by regicide(something I didn't really notice). This game took 5 hours and 25 minutes.

Now, this scenario wasn't about expanding your territory(I settled maybe 3 or 4 cities total), it was about pure defense. About a quarter through the game(turn 25) germany launches an offensive that lasted(and I'm not joking) the rest of the game(75 turns, I'd hate to see it on a higher aggresive setting..). Fortunetly I had just enough units to constantly ward their attacks, which were always inside my border, so it was a dead stalemate. When Germany initially launched their attack I wasn't very prepared and was only building a few military units in the cities closest to my enemies. But, fortunetly, I had an excellent defensive unique unit, the Swiss Mercenary, which would go on to save my ass and give me a Golden Age. I couldn't resist the very cheap wonders(10 turns each) and built as many as I could before the Golden Age expired. At this point(around turn 50) I was leading in technology and had more advanced units then what Germany was throwing at me(initially medieval infantry, then teutonic knights). At this point I was cranking out military units in almost all of my cities(I had too!). But, this advantage still wouldn't be enough, as they continued to barrage my only western city(Rotterdam) with units and continually make a run for my capital(which I would always pick them off).

My ally Portugal however, wasn't doing as well as I was, and were losing the battle with the Byzantines(which were only a minor nuisance to me). By turn 75 we were losing badly in the points catagory and Portugal was mostly to blame(about a 500 point deficit) and with only 25 turns to go I had to break the stalemate with Germany. I decided to setup a ton of barricades around Rotterdam, which proved to be, for the most part successful. By Turn 20, I had two armies of calvalry units rotating attacks(one would be defending/attacking and one army would be healing in a city) and I finally got a chance to go for one of their weak cities by the sea and managed to capture it in one turn. I destroyed it because it was only a few tiles away from a larger city which I would soon take and fortify.

With only a measily 10 turns left and down by more than 300 victory points I decided to just go for the nearest German city(which was swarming with units), to my luck, was their capital, Berlin. I threw one army of calvalry and a few single calvary units at the city, killing at least 5 units, but my army was down to 1HP and I had to retreat back to heal. With only 5 turns left, I sent yet another army of calvary at them, and again I was denied and had to retreat. Finally with only a few turns to go, I got kinda bummed out because I knew for sure I was going to lose. So, as a desperate measure, I sent my now healed army, back towards Berlin, and by the time I got there, it was now the last turn of the game. I attacked and watched as my HP's fell, I only managed to take two musketmen and had only two single calvalry units left, and I honestly didn't think it would be enough. The first unit was a longbowman, which easily fell, the second..just happened to be old Bismark himself. And with that I killed him and completely wiped out Germany, which at the time, still had many, many units on the battlefield. Their score plummeted and I won by a good margin of points.

No doubt, one of the best, if not the best Civ3 game i've ever played.. :D

way to go! thanks for posting. i'll be starting with the 3 introductory scenerios myself.

Wow, these into scenarios are actually starting to sound fun. :) Good job.

Wow, these into scenarios are actually starting to sound fun. Good job.

The introductory scenarios were put together in a way that would provide users of all levels to have some fun.

Yes, they are shorter and less intense than the main 9 scenarios, but a lot of testing and care was put into these as well. Each of the three intros, focuses on one or two of the new key features added into Conquests, so don't let the INTRO title shy you away from giving them a test drive.

The main purpose for the intros, is of course to allow newer users to the game a chance to get their feet wet. But you can trust me when I say, even those much more seasoned players will have a good time with them. :)

You should also play as Germany and try out their Tuetonic Knight. ;) You'll have to quickly connect the horses and iron, though.

Teutonic Knights were one of the many small additions made to these scenarios. A one time UU for Germany, just to make this New Alliances work in a much more balanced way. Oh yes, and this unit was inspired by ........... :)

Top Bottom