As Germany, does settling next to a barbarian encampment (and thereby clearing it) get?

Barking Iguana

Chieftain
I know walking into an empty encampment gives you a 2/3 chance of getting the last barb unit you killed. (You can have killed that unit anywhere on the map; it doesn't have to be the one from that encampment.)

So really I have two questions.
  • Does clearing an encampment by making it part of your territory (settling or getting a new tile) give you the die roll at all?
  • Does clearing an encampment by making it part of your territory when the camp is occupied re-set your last killed barbarian unit to the one you made disappear?

Hi there,
Maybe @Browd has a more exact answer, but in the meanwhile, let me try to share my understanding of the subject (and I do play a lot as Germany):
- The 2/3 chance to get a unit, relates to the last unit inside that specific camp
- Clearing the camp by buying/growing to the tile where the camp was situated, will not give you a free unit regardless of whether there is a unit in the camp or not.

Last edited:
...let me try to share my understanding of the subject (and I do play a lot as Germany):
- The 2/3 chance to get a unit, relates to the last unit inside that specific camp
I'm pretty sure that's not true. If you kill the camp unit with an archer, then you kill a different barbarian elsewhere, and finally you walk into the camp, don't you get the latter unit?

As far as I know, it is the unit inside the camp that counts, and not any other unit. @Browd, could you share your wisdom on this one?

Sometimes you never kill a unit inside the camp. It's lured away to capture a civilian unit and never gets back.

Nizef is correct I think. You need to use units to destroy the camp. Annex tile doesn't work with UA.
Also according to Zigzagzigal, don't be afraid to walk units into empty encampment as the chance applies for the last unit that you killed in an encampment.
Fun fact: you can capture 2 unique units, the brute and the hand axe and they work with Terracotta army Wonder.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=289435385

A few years ago, Zigzagzigal knew less about this than some other folks (maybe some here, maybe elsewhere) and I pointed out to him what those others had said, seemingly correctly, and he partially updated the guide. So though his guides are great (for multiplayer or for Emperor and below, useful but sometimes misguided for Immortal and Deity) I'm not sure I'd take him as the last word on this particular subject. Though maybe he did more research after my comment and his response. Also, my memory of my previous episodes of playing Civ V isn't perfect, maybe the unit having to be in an encampment was known and was part of what I said, but I don't now remember that.

It took a while for the rust to come off my memory. This text from Zigzagal, based on what I discovered a few years ago which in turn was partly based on what folks wrote in this forum and/or MegaBearsFan and/or Carl's Guides is correct::
"Don't worry about entering an empty Barbarian encampment - you'll gain a unit of the same type as the last Barbarian unit you killed in an encampment."

An encampment, not necessarily the encampment you just took. But not some unit not killed in an encampment.

1. The barb unit type you might spawn is set by the last barb unit that you melee-kill on a camp.
    • Killing a barb elsewhere does not effect the unit type which might spawn.
    • Ranged-kill of a barb unit on a camp does not effect the unit type which might spawned.
  2. You get the chance to spawn a barb unit by walking a unit into the camp.
    • Civilians work for the UA.
    • Border growth does not trigger the UA.
Some players, once they melee-kill a barb archer on a camp, like to then go camp hunting with two archers. By using only ranged units (as opposed to an archer and a scout) there is no chance to accidentally reset the spawn unit type.

Germany could reach good power by clearing out encampments, I recall doing this before. Upgrade the archers or the warrior into longswordsmen and crossbows and you can be good to go to launch an attack. Unless there's powerful xbow UUs like China or England.

Top Bottom