As Sweden, why am I unable to gift Great Prophets to City-States?

Athenaeum

Prince
I played with Sweden on SP a couple times in the past, and I was never able to do what people commonly talk about on here - spread religion 3 times with a Great Prophet and then gift it to a city-state.

At first I assumed that this was only because I had spread religion with the Prophet, and that gifting the Prophet would work fine if I had not used it to spread religion.

However I used the IGE mod just now and I was not even able to gift a brand new Prophet.

Does anybody know why I am unable to do this?

Also another question...I have noticed that Iroquois roads do not work the same for me as other people on this website claim they do. When I play as Iroquois, forests give me bridge (Engineering) movement over rivers, and moving into a forest tile from a non-forest tile counts as a road.

Is it possible that there is something different about my game than other peoples' games? I don't use any mods (besides IGE from time to time, which I turn off when I don't intend to use it.) Can anyone explain these discrepancies?

How are you trying to gift the Great Prophet?

How are you sure it counts as a road? In friendly territory it won't count as all your movement -- but are you sure it's only subtracting a fraction of a movement point rather than an entire point or something?

I attempt to gift the Prophet by moving it into city-state territory, clicking the Additional Options button (or whatever it's called, the one with the arrows), and then clicking on the button with the gift/present icon.

I know it counts as a road because when I move a warrior from outside my territory into a forest tile in my territory, I can move 3 more times back and forth in between that tile and another adjacent forest tile. So in other words I move 4 tiles with the warrior when it began its turn outside my border.

I attempt to gift the Prophet by moving it into city-state territory, clicking the Additional Options button (or whatever it's called, the one with the arrows), and then clicking on the button with the gift/present icon.

Try gifting it through the city state menu. I seem to recall having trouble gifting GPs manually when I first tried to use the ability.

Sweden's ability to gift great persons only works through the gift option on the City-State diplo menu.

As for the Iroquois forest-to-road issue, the problem, as I understand it (I rarely play the Iroquois), only arises when you are moving from a forest tile (inside your culture borders, of course) to a non-forest road tile. Moving from a plain forest tile (which is supposed to act like a road) to a real road tile consumes your remaining movement points; however, if the forest tile happens to also have a road segment on it, you're OK. Apparently it also works OK going the other way (from plain road tile to a non-road forest tile inside your culture borders). Try it out and report back.

Yes Browd, your account of the Iroquois UA matches up with my experience. However I think that quite a few people on this board have tesitified that it works differently.

As for the Sweden UA, I seem to recall that other types of great people can be gifted manually (by moving into CS territory and clicking present/gift icon). However I'll go check now and see if Sweden can gift prophets using the other method.

Yeah Sweden Prophet issue solved, thanks for the help. However I am able to gift other types of great people manually, so that's still kind of weird.

I've also noticed that on the IGE mod you can not manually/directly spawn great prophets like you can with other types of great people. I work around this by building multiple Hagia Sophias, but it just seems to me like the game separates Prophets from other types of Great People.

^^I can gift, but I don't get the influence, no matter which way I do it.

very weird. I'm on the Mac App store version.

^^I played another game last night, and I was able to gift a great artist and I got influence right away. But when I tried to gift a great musician to a different city state nothing. So I quit and re-loaded and then it gifted and I got influence right away.

I cannot gift any great prophets, for some reason.

And I couldn't even gift the GA or GM until very late in the game.

I wonder if there is some prerequisite I have to meet first or a certain era to gift them? Or if it's just buggy (again--I'm on the Mac Apple Store version).

In any event, both games were very frustrating, and I probably won't play as Sweden again.

^^Can you clarify that. Are you saying it takes the three turns, or it doesn't?

For the ones I was gifting through the trade screen, nothing was happening so far as influence. But if I went into their territory and via the movement panel (the three arrows), I got immediate influence.

docbud I've had similar issues as you.

With most great people (all of them really except prophets) I can gift them two different ways. First method:I can click on the city-state then "gift a unit", or Second method:I can manually move my great person into the city-state territory, click on additional options, and click on the button with the gift/present icon.

I recently discovered I can use the first method (Gift a Unit) for all great people, except Prophets. I have to use the second method to gift Prophets.

I'm not really sure why it works this way. But I have also discovered that the 1st method gives instantaneous influence whereas you have to wait 3 turns for the second method.

I'm not really sure why it works this way. But I have also discovered that the 1st method gives instantaneous influence whereas you have to wait 3 turns for the second method.

I'd wager that the 3 turns delay when gifting through the city screen is because you haven't made the effort to move the unit to the receiving city state's territory. Something that has been done when using the direct gifting method.
Its the same with military units: gifting them when present in the territory gives the culture bonus, gifting them through the city state screen delays the culture bonus by three turns.

docbud I've had similar issues as you.

With most great people (all of them really except prophets) I can gift them two different ways. First method:I can click on the city-state then "gift a unit", or Second method:I can manually move my great person into the city-state territory, click on additional options, and click on the button with the gift/present icon.

I recently discovered I can use the first method (Gift a Unit) for all great people, except Prophets. I have to use the second method to gift Prophets.

Ummm...are you sure you don't have that backwards? My experience is that your First method results in the 3 turn delay, and your Second method results in instant influence...it certainly works that way for military unit gifting.

Crus8r

PS - with regard to military unit gifting to CSs, I've noticed another HUGE difference between the two methods of gifting...gifting units by your First method seems to destroy the unit and gives the CS a brand new unit of that type, no promotions or health damage carry over, while the Second method results in them getting THAT exact unit, complete with upgrades and health damage... Whats really wild is that promotions from policies or wonders carry over too...if I have the Great Lighthouse and have opened Exploration, then if I gift a ship to a CS by sailing it into their borders and using the unit's gift command, then that ship will still have the move and sight promo's!!!

^^Agreed--the second method gives instant influence when I move the great person into the CS territory and gift that way. If I gift through the trade screen, it takes three turns.

That's interesting about gifting military units. I'll have to keep that in mind.

PS - with regard to military unit gifting to CSs, I've noticed another HUGE difference between the two methods of gifting...gifting units by your First method seems to destroy the unit and gives the CS a brand new unit of that type, no promotions or health damage carry over, while the Second method results in them getting THAT exact unit, complete with upgrades and health damage... Whats really wild is that promotions from policies or wonders carry over too...if I have the Great Lighthouse and have opened Exploration, then if I gift a ship to a CS by sailing it into their borders and using the unit's gift command, then that ship will still have the move and sight promo's!!!

Ah, didn't know that. Have to check that if the direct gifted unit has been given a name, it carries over as well.

...while the Second method results in them getting THAT exact unit, complete with upgrades and health damage... Whats really wild is that promotions from policies or wonders carry over too...
Some promotions carry over, but not the XP ones you picked. This was much my to my frustration not long ago as I was gifting a rocket launcher and tank unit with +1 vision. Both on the same turn, and both by walking the unit to the CS territory. I never could get the rocket launcher to act like it was getting line of sight from spotter unit.

Plus, the CS kept throwing both units into the water...

Yeah my bad guys, I meant the second method (moving unit into CS territory) gives instantaneous influence whereas gifting through the menu takes 3 turns.

Top Bottom