1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

As the Prophets foretold

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, May 24, 2018.

1. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

There is no DLC after the first xpac.

I, a lowly priest of the Firaxian Order, will be the first to declare the heresy to be a fact:

With no activity of note in the Steam depots, and no teasers since the Late Spring / Early Summer Patch....

I'm admitting defeat for those of us that were hoping for DLC between xpacs, and this makes me sad.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

There is a bright side.

There are 9 series regular civs (Ottomans, Byzantines, Babylon, Inca, Maya, Portugal, Carthage, Ethiopia, and Mali/Songhai) that haven't been included in Civ VI yet. That's more than can be fit in an expansion (especially when you consider that they always try to fit in some new civs too). The implication is that there may be a third expansion since there apparently aren't any DLC to pick those extra up.

And if the number of civs in the future expansion(s) matches R&F, it will bring is to a nice, round 50.

AvianBritish, tzu, nzcamel and 8 others like this.
  3. Jackanape

Jackanape Warlord

As a DLC junkie myself, I am going to be walking around depressed for months now. I'm not sure how I'm going to explain it to the squares when they ask...

nzcamel likes this.
  4. kryat

kryat King

I’m going to suggest the dark horse of a map pack comes out before the next expansion. It wouldn’t need new assets added, and they’re a bit on a TSL kick over the last year or so. Would it be too much to ask for something like the scrambled map pack from V?

nzcamel likes this.
  5. Benzombie

Benzombie Warlord

I feel like CIV 6 has a lot of potential. If we have to wait 3 or more expansions to get there, then I'm willing to wait till the end of time.

6. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

There is still probably a year+ before the next expansion, so I wouldn't count 0 DLC out of just yet (I think a leader pack is still in the works, maybe as a Fall pick-me-up unless XCOM has news). But clearly not as systematic of a release as was after the initial launch.

nzcamel and Dragabond like this.
  7. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I'm not surprised in the least, didn't expect any more DLC.

8. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Imo that mean we will get the next expansion earlier, maybe even this year (late November / early December).

9. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

No one expects the Firaxis Inquisition. :(

10. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Emperor

Zaarin and Noble Zarkon like this.
  11. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Where's the official Terra map script?

12. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

I fail to understand why people claim Ethiopia is a 'civ regular' -- They have been in one game, Civ V. Sure, they were a powerful civ, but one game (out of 6) does not make them a 'civ regular'.

edit: Apparently my counting skills are bad. D'oh! They have been in two games.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    craney1987 likes this.
  13. Arent11

Arent11 King

Let's be honest: Civ 6 is becoming unwieldy. I prefer a good game balance as in Starcraft to having many features. But that is my opinion.

14. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

I’m fine with that. We have so many civs as is that I haven’t played them all and keep going back to ones I enjoy because I enjoy them. Let’s fix the game and it’s issues at its core and sacrifice new civs until the expansion

Karpius and Arent11 like this.
  15. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Hi! Name's Yaqob. Zara Yaqob. Pleased to meet you!

(Quote from intelligence files: 'Zara Yaqob leads the Ethiopians in Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword.')

16. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Emperor

It maybe possible to port the Terra map script from Civ V or BE but I've got a ton on my plate to finish RN and I go dark in July :D

17. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

There was never any good reason to expect it. Besides, to go for DLC now would be quite limiting. The new civs would either be restricted to pre-R&F systems, or Firaxis would have to step into the lion's den that is DLC-for-an-EP, which The Sims 4 tried recently and it... wasn't received super well.

Hakan-i Cihan and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  18. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, it just becomes awkward. Either you restrict them to only Vanilla systems, or you restrict the purchase to only R+F, or you have to give them different bonuses in Vanilla and R+F (which, realistically, would be easy to do if you just give them boring Vanilla bonuses that can be easily done via basic XML tweaks).

19. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

They've been in two games, and they should be a civ regular.

20. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

There were 5 previous version of Civ. For me, that means you need to have been in at least 3 versions (aka more than half) to be a "Series Regular" that must be included in Civ 6.

If you ignore for a moment the conglomerations for "Vikings/Denmark/Norway" + "Celtic/Scottish" + "Sioux/Iroquois/Native American/Shoshone/Cree".

That leaves these Series Regulars (by my definition) missing from Civ 6:
    • Babylon: 5 for 5 appearances (Civ 1-5)
    • Carthage: 4 out of 5 times (Civ 2-5)
    • Byzantine: 3 times (Civ 3-5)
    • Inca: 3 times (Civ 3-5)
    • Maya: 3 times (Civ 3-5)
    • Ottoman: 3 times (Civ 3-5)
    • Portugal: 3 times (Civ 3-5)

The only two Civs that have appeared twice (and are not in Civ 6) are Austria (Civ 3 and 5) and Ethiopia (Civ 4 and 5). And although many would disagree, I do not consider either of these "Series Regulars". Again, personal opinion, but if these 2 do not show up in Civ 6, I won't care at all. How many people were up in arms that they left Sumeria (who appeared in both Civ 3 and 4) out of Civ 5? (I mean that as a real inquiry, not just a rhetorical question.)

Not that I want this, but Firaxis could do those 7 Regulars, plus one more alternate leader, and one brand new Civ (likely from Western Africa, Ashanti Empire perhaps?) all in one final Expansion and call it a day. There would be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, but at the end of the day I would guess that most of us wouldn't pinpoint a specific flaw in this lineup. Sure it is poor from a TSL/geographic representation stand point. Yes, it lacks originality and unique flare. Certainly some very deserving Civs would be left out. But comparably, at least to me, if they did just one final expansion and left out one of those 7, I think the complaints would be a considerably louder (and well justified).

Getting back to the point. I hope that they do more content than just the 1 more "expected" expansion. It could be a 3rd expansion pack. I actually still feel that DLC on-top of an Expansion pack for a game like Civ isn't a bad plan. Honestly how many people play Civ 5 Vanilla vs. Gods & Kings vs Brave New World? I would argue, as I have in other threads, that the people who are buying the DLC are going to also have these expansion packs. Remember, we are in that odd in-between state between Vanilla and final content. We are playing the equivalent of Gods & Kings.

ferretbacon likes this.