As the Prophets foretold

Duuk

Doom-Sayer
Supporter
There is no DLC after the first xpac.

I, a lowly priest of the Firaxian Order, will be the first to declare the heresy to be a fact:

With no activity of note in the Steam depots, and no teasers since the Late Spring / Early Summer Patch....

I'm admitting defeat for those of us that were hoping for DLC between xpacs, and this makes me sad.

There is a bright side.

There are 9 series regular civs (Ottomans, Byzantines, Babylon, Inca, Maya, Portugal, Carthage, Ethiopia, and Mali/Songhai) that haven't been included in Civ VI yet. That's more than can be fit in an expansion (especially when you consider that they always try to fit in some new civs too). The implication is that there may be a third expansion since there apparently aren't any DLC to pick those extra up.

And if the number of civs in the future expansion(s) matches R&F, it will bring is to a nice, round 50.

As a DLC junkie myself, I am going to be walking around depressed for months now. I'm not sure how I'm going to explain it to the squares when they ask...

I’m going to suggest the dark horse of a map pack comes out before the next expansion. It wouldn’t need new assets added, and they’re a bit on a TSL kick over the last year or so. Would it be too much to ask for something like the scrambled map pack from V?

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

There is still probably a year+ before the next expansion, so I wouldn't count 0 DLC out of just yet (I think a leader pack is still in the works, maybe as a Fall pick-me-up unless XCOM has news). But clearly not as systematic of a release as was after the initial launch.

Imo that mean we will get the next expansion earlier, maybe even this year (late November / early December).

No one expects the Firaxis Inquisition. :(

I fail to understand why people claim Ethiopia is a 'civ regular' -- They have been in one game, Civ V. Sure, they were a powerful civ, but one game (out of 6) does not make them a 'civ regular'.

edit: Apparently my counting skills are bad. D'oh! They have been in two games.

Last edited:
There is no DLC after the first xpac.

I, a lowly priest of the Firaxian Order, will be the first to declare the heresy to be a fact:

With no activity of note in the Steam depots, and no teasers since the Late Spring / Early Summer Patch....

I'm admitting defeat for those of us that were hoping for DLC between xpacs, and this makes me sad.

Let's be honest: Civ 6 is becoming unwieldy. I prefer a good game balance as in Starcraft to having many features. But that is my opinion.

I’m fine with that. We have so many civs as is that I haven’t played them all and keep going back to ones I enjoy because I enjoy them. Let’s fix the game and it’s issues at its core and sacrifice new civs until the expansion

There was never any good reason to expect it. Besides, to go for DLC now would be quite limiting. The new civs would either be restricted to pre-R&F systems, or Firaxis would have to step into the lion's den that is DLC-for-an-EP, which The Sims 4 tried recently and it... wasn't received super well.

There was never any good reason to expect it. Besides, to go for DLC now would be quite limiting. The new civs would either be restricted to pre-R&F systems, or Firaxis would have to step into the lion's den that is DLC-for-an-EP, which The Sims 4 tried recently and it... wasn't received super well.

Yeah, it just becomes awkward. Either you restrict them to only Vanilla systems, or you restrict the purchase to only R+F, or you have to give them different bonuses in Vanilla and R+F (which, realistically, would be easy to do if you just give them boring Vanilla bonuses that can be easily done via basic XML tweaks).

I fail to understand why people claim Ethiopia is a 'civ regular' -- They have been in one game, Civ V. Sure, they were a powerful civ, but one game (out of 6) does not make them a 'civ regular'.
They've been in two games, and they should be a civ regular.

There were 5 previous version of Civ. For me, that means you need to have been in at least 3 versions (aka more than half) to be a "Series Regular" that must be included in Civ 6.

If you ignore for a moment the conglomerations for "Vikings/Denmark/Norway" + "Celtic/Scottish" + "Sioux/Iroquois/Native American/Shoshone/Cree".

That leaves these Series Regulars (by my definition) missing from Civ 6:
  • Babylon: 5 for 5 appearances (Civ 1-5)
  • Carthage: 4 out of 5 times (Civ 2-5)
  • Byzantine: 3 times (Civ 3-5)
  • Inca: 3 times (Civ 3-5)
  • Maya: 3 times (Civ 3-5)
  • Ottoman: 3 times (Civ 3-5)
  • Portugal: 3 times (Civ 3-5)

The only two Civs that have appeared twice (and are not in Civ 6) are Austria (Civ 3 and 5) and Ethiopia (Civ 4 and 5). And although many would disagree, I do not consider either of these "Series Regulars". Again, personal opinion, but if these 2 do not show up in Civ 6, I won't care at all. How many people were up in arms that they left Sumeria (who appeared in both Civ 3 and 4) out of Civ 5? (I mean that as a real inquiry, not just a rhetorical question.)

Not that I want this, but Firaxis could do those 7 Regulars, plus one more alternate leader, and one brand new Civ (likely from Western Africa, Ashanti Empire perhaps?) all in one final Expansion and call it a day. There would be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, but at the end of the day I would guess that most of us wouldn't pinpoint a specific flaw in this lineup. Sure it is poor from a TSL/geographic representation stand point. Yes, it lacks originality and unique flare. Certainly some very deserving Civs would be left out. But comparably, at least to me, if they did just one final expansion and left out one of those 7, I think the complaints would be a considerably louder (and well justified).

Getting back to the point. I hope that they do more content than just the 1 more "expected" expansion. It could be a 3rd expansion pack. I actually still feel that DLC on-top of an Expansion pack for a game like Civ isn't a bad plan. Honestly how many people play Civ 5 Vanilla vs. Gods & Kings vs Brave New World? I would argue, as I have in other threads, that the people who are buying the DLC are going to also have these expansion packs. Remember, we are in that odd in-between state between Vanilla and final content. We are playing the equivalent of Gods & Kings.

Top Bottom