Ash Wednesday

Zarn

Le Républicain Catholique
To 'Western' Christians who celebrate: Happy Ash Wednesday! (and err... Lent)

To Roman Catholics:
It is the time of year again... for 7 of us anyway (plus lurkers- Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition).

Remember (late, I know) no meat or poultry today or any Fridays! Give those ham sandwiches to your atheist friends. Don't even think about taking a bite. How dare you think about it.

To All (this is the discussion point of the thread): As of late, Ash Wednesday seems to be more of a cultural than a religious thing, although unlike Christmas and Easter (they are commercial- not really as much cultural). I really don't think that is bad, though. IMHO, culture is good, as long as there is no "Us" vs "Them" mentality. Feel free to discuss/ debate.

Well, being Lutheran I'll take a ham sandwich this Friday as well. I'll fast on Good Friday, though.

Guess I'm not a true Catholic then...

(I had a rib sandwich for lunch).

Mistakes are made all the time, since commercials don't remind us that Ash Wednesday is coming up (like Easter and Christmas). My father ate some lasagna, then threw the rest out. :crazyeye: Isn't it better to not throw it out (once eating has started)?

This doesnt seem to have anything to do with christianity even though its a part of it, let me explain.

I see this is just tradition that the church picked up on. Im willing to bet theres no moral obligation or anything about this from jesus.

This doesnt seem to have anything to do with christianity even though its a part of it, let me explain.

I see this is just tradition that the church picked up on. Im willing to bet theres no moral obligation or anything about this from jesus.

And you'd be right, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a very obnoxious post.

And you'd be right, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a very obnoxious post.

Well then il try to be less obnoxious when i say that you do the same things. ;)

edit: I confused you with atlas sorry.

The idea of enduring some kind of deprivation during Lent is in remembrence of Jesus's 40 days of purification in the desert prior to entering Jerusalem for Passover. Ash Wednesday is the 1st of those 40 days, Maundy Thursday (spelling) celebrates the Last Supper, Good Friday the Crucifixion, and Easter the Ressurection.

Many Catholics follow the "no meat on Fridays" approach. Although it's often depicted as a "rule", this is really a voluntary expression of faith, that individuals are free to participate in, or not, as their conscience and individual needs lead them. The same can be said for the Jewish and Muslim dietary rules / traditions. Many Protestants also practice "giving something up for Lent." Chocolate, candy in general, alcoholic beverages, and certain adult pursuits are common choices.

One of the disadvantages of going to a Catholic college is that they don't serve any meat in the cafeteria on Ash Wednesday/Lent Fridays/etc. Today they had some awful attempt at fish for both lunch and dinner. :vomit:

One of the disadvantages of not going to a school with a large Catholic population is having to eat a bowl of cereal for dinner because they haven't made some fish.

Trade?

One of the disadvantages of not going to a school with a large Catholic population is having to eat a bowl of cereal for dinner because they haven't made some fish.

Trade?

I wouldn't have minded if it was decent fish. In fact, I would have liked quite a bit to have some edible fish. Unfortunately, the cafeteria here isn't into the idea of edible foods...

I wouldn't have minded if it was decent fish. In fact, I would have liked quite a bit to have some edible fish. Unfortunately, the cafeteria here isn't into the idea of edible foods...

Ah, so your problem isn't really with the choice of food, it's with the quality of said food...

I guess they want to make sure you endure some hardship this Lent.

;)

To 'Western' Christians who celebrate: Happy Ash Wednesday! (and err... Lent)
I already gotten my ashes on my forhead.

Zarn said:
To Roman Catholics:
It is the time of year again... for 7 of us anyway (plus lurkers- Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition).
That time of year again? Its only my first time celibrating Ash Wednesday and Lent (I am going to be recived in full communion into the Church this Easter when I get my First Communion and Confirmation).

Zarn said:
Remember (late, I know) no meat or poultry today or any Fridays! Give those ham sandwiches to your atheist friends. Don't even think about taking a bite. How dare you think about it.
So only Lacto-ovo vegetarian friendly dishes?

Nahhh, I rather try some sushi than try fried fish. ;)

Earlier today I noticed the lack of ashy foreheads. It use to be when I was young that you could tell the majority residents were cathoholics. Not so many any more the population boom in the last 10 years has brought with it a diversity that wasn't here before.

To get in touch with our Hindu roots, of course. :)

What is the purpose of that anyway?
The symbolism dates back to Near Eastern traditions of throwing ash over one's head signifying repentance before God. The ashes are sacramentals (objects that are blessed), not a sacrament.

The symbolism dates back to Near Eastern traditions of throwing ash over one's head signifying repentance before God. The ashes are sacramentals (objects that are blessed), not a sacrament.

Made from the burned palms from the preceeding palm sunday.

Top Bottom