1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ashes of Erebus Civilopedia Update Project

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by TheIanOakley, Jan 1, 2017.

1. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

The Civilopedia should be a complete compendium, with history and strategy entries for every single tech, unit, building, terrain, resource, improvement, promotion, spell, ability, civilization, leader, trait, religion, civic, and ritual.

The Civilopedia included with Ashes of Erebus is lacking a considerable number of entries - a rough estimate puts that value at 1000 missing entries across all categories, to be confirmed once the whole Civilopedia has been gone through with a finetooth comb. I've made a start with collating the missing entries, but there is so much more work to be done with not only locating the missing entires but also filling them in:

All categories marked as TBC as ones where I have yet to investigate which entries are in need of updating. All entries in the quotes above are subject to revision, as entries newly discovered to be missing will be included in there and entries that get filled in will be taken off the list.

Given the size of the task, all help will be accepted and in fact requested, for both collating and updating entries.

#1/1/17 -
    Updated to include missing Rituals history entries; will toothcomb the strategy entries for them at a later date.
    Updated to include missing Resource history entries; again will need to check for strategy entries.

#16/1/17 -
    Updated to include missing Civic history and strategy entries, though I'm not certain the latter are needed.

#21/1/17 -
    Updated with PPQ Purple's excellent effort. Missing entries for leaders, civilisations, and traits have been added, for it should be noted that virtually all civs have decent lore entries needing nothing more than the brief version for the startup popup.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. black_imperator

black_imperator Chieftain

Missing Ritual History entries :
    Auric Ascension
    Bane Divine
    Birthright Regained
    Blood of The Phoenix
    Elegy of the sheaim
    Genesis
    Glory Everlasting
    Hallowing of the Elohim
    Nature's Revolt
    Pax Diabolis
    Prepare Expedition
    Purge the Unfaithful
    Rites of Oghma
    Samhain
    Stir from Slumber
    The Deepening
    The Draw
    The White Hand Ritual

Missing Ritual Strategy entries :
    All of them but Liberation have a basic description of what they do, some with more details than others, i'm not sure how much is needed for it to be considered a proper strategy entry

TheIanOakley likes this.
  3. black_imperator

Missing Bonus History Entries :
    Ale ( current text is for strategy)
    Banana (default civ4 one at the moment)
    Bison (default)
    Camel (default)
    Clam (default)
    Copper (default)
    Corn (default)
    Cotton
    Cow (default)
    Crab (default)
    Deer (default)
    Dye (default)
    Fine Clothes
    Fish (default)
    Force Mana
    Fur (default)
    Demonic Fur ( needs a rename) (default fur)
    Gems (default)
    Gold (default)
    Horse (default)
    Incense (default)
    Iron (default)
    Ivory (default)
    Jewelry
    Marble (default)
    Metamagic Mana
    Mushrooms
    Obsidian (defaultà
    Pearls (default)
    Pig (default)
    Refined Mana
    Rice (default)
    Salt (default)
    Shadow Mana
    Sheep (default
    Shrimp (default)
    Silk (default)
    Spirit Mana
    Stone 'default)
    Sugar (default)
    Sun Mana
    Toads
    Wheat (default)
    Wine (default)

TheIanOakley likes this.
  4. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Chieftain

I'm not at my computer, so don't have access to the game or mod right now, but recall a couple of missing or incomplete 'pedia entries relating to buildings:

1) The entry for the Hall of Mirrors should say something to the effect that it creates illusionary copies of units attacking the city in which the building is located.

2) The entry for the Asylum omits the very important fact that units created in a city with an Asylum have some percentage chance of starting with the Crazed (or Enraged?) promotion.

5. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

Update - added the Civics that are missing entries.

It's all of them.

6. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Is this mod actually still being worked on?

7. black_imperator

yes it is, i'm doing relatively regular svn updates. Next one will be once i'm done rebalancing the leader personality values. (i still have a good two days of work on this, so i'm not sure when i'll be able to finish it)

8. PPQ_Purple

In that case count on me. I don't imagine that the SVN version has had any major improvements in the pedia content than the regular download.

I assume that TBC means to be checked. So I'll load up the mod and start from there,

9. PPQ_Purple

Spoiler Traits :

• Adaptive - Lacks both
    • Agressive - Lacks both
    • Agnostic - Lacks both
    • Amphibious - Lacks both*
    • Arcane - Lacks both
    • Caretaker - Lacks strategy, has pedia
    • Charismatic - Lacks both
    • Cold Blooded - Lacks both
    • Conqueror - Lacks both
    • Craftmaster - Lacks both
    • Creative - Lacks both
    • Death Touched - Lacks both
    • Defender - Lacks both
    • Dextrous - Lacks both
    • Dominant - Lacks both
    • Egalitarian - Lacks both
    • Elder - Lacks both
    • Expansive - Lacks both
    • Follow - Lacks both
    • Ferral - Lacks both
    • Financial - Lacks both
    • Horde - Lacks both
    • Horselord - Lacks both
    • Humanist - Lacks strategy, has pedia
    • Hydromancer - Lacks both
    • Ice Touched - Lacks strategy, has pedia
    • Illusionist - Lacks both
    • Imperialist - Lacks both
    • Industrious - Lacks both
    • Ingenuity - Lacks both
    • Insane - Lacks both
    • Instructor - Lacks both
    • Intolerant - Lacks stategy, has pedia*
    • Lycantropic - Lacks both
    • Magic Resistance - Lacks both
    • Master of the Mekara - Lacks strategy, has pedia
    • Mechanic - Lacks both
    • Merchant - Lacks both
    • Necromancer - Lacks both
    • Opportunistic - Lacks both
    • Organized - Lacks both
    • Personality Cult - Lacks both
    • Philosofical - Lacks both
    • Raiders - Lacks both
    • Realm of the Compact - Lacks strategy, has pedia
    • Reckless - Lacks both
    • Regimented - Lacks both
    • Ruthless - Lacks both
    • Sinister - Lacks both
    • Slaver - Lacks both
    • Spiderkin - Lacks both
    • Spiritual - Lacks both
    • Sprawling - Lacks both
    • Strategist - Lacks both
    • Summoner - Lacks both
    • Sundered - Lacks both
    • Swashbuckler - Lacks both
    • Theocratic - Lacks both
    • Tolerant - Lacks both
    • Trader - Lacks both
    • Trecherous - Lacks both
    • Unduying - Lacks both
    • Veinhunter - Lacks both
    • Virtuous Pirate - Lacks both
    • Wanderer - Lacks both
    • Warlord - Lacks both
    * Traits only appear on Kahd and the links to the leader in question do not work. The icon shows up with his name but neither the mouse over help nor clicking works.

Spoiler Religions :
    They all have a decent text for the pedia.

Spoiler Civilizations :

• Amurites - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history.
    • Archos - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history.
    • Austin - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • Balseraphs - Fully defined.
    • Bannor - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. The text it self actually exists but is not properly separated from the "background".
    • Calabim - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. The text it self actually exists but is not properly separated from the "background".
    • Chislev - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • Clan of Embers - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. The text it self actually exists but is not properly separated from the "background".
    • Cualli - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • Doviello - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. The text it self actually exists but is not properly separated from the "background".
    • Dural - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • Elohim - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. The text it self actually exists, although it needs rework as it is too short and does not really tell the player enough and it is not properly separated from the "background".
    • Grigory - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. The text it self actually exists but is not properly separated from the "background".
    • Hamstalfar - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • Hippus - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia. The text it self actually exists but is not properly separated from the "background".
    • Illians - Has a single weak paragraph of pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • Infernal - Fully defined in the pedia with both the description text and the lore but lacks strategy.
    • Khazad - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. The text it self actually exists but is not properly separated from the "background".
    • Kuriotates - Fully defined.
    • Lanun - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. The text it self actually exists but is not properly separated from the "background".
    • Ljosalfar - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text is extremely short and basically a placeholder and it also lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history.
    • Luchuirp - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history.
    • Malakim - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. Also, the pedia text is rather short but given that this is a brand new faction in terms of their "in universe" existance the lack of detail is understandable.
    • Mazatl - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • Mechanos - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • Mekara Order - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • Mercurians - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • Scions of Patria - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history.
    • Sheaim - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. Also, as with the Malakim the pedia text is rather short. But in this instance it would be nice if there was more given the bountiful lore that is behind them.
    • Sidar - This faction basically only has the small opening bit and lacks a proper history or strategy.
    • Svartalfar - Has some pedia text but lacks strategy and the small opening bit in the pedia.
    • The legion of D'tesh - Has both pedia and strategy text but the pedia text lacks the small opening bit that defines them in short that usually precedes the history. Although it should be noted that, realistically the existing pedia entry does both jobs just fine.

Spoiler Leaders :

For this list, I will only list those leaders that lack something. If a leader is in the game and is not in this list that means all is well with him or her or it.
    • Decius - Lacks all text
    • Elder Malasa (Hamstalfar) - Lacks all text, has a placeholder
    • Elijah Arnauld - Lacks all text
    • Gimil - Lacks all text
    • Herne - Lacks all text
    • Lorelei Coral - Lacks all text
    • Mihuatl - Lacks all text
    • Minister Koun - Lacks all text
    • Raitlor - Lacks all text
    • Rivanna the Wrath Lord - Lacks all text
    • Shekinah - Lacks all text
    • Tarquelne (Hamstalfar) - Lacks all text, has a placeholder
    • Tasnuke - Lacks all text. If all else fails you could use an episode from the original FFH scenarios for this.
    • Tethira - Lacks all text
    • Thanatos - Lacks all text
    • Thessalonica - Lacks all text
    • Tya Kiri - Lacks all text
    • Vanedis - Lacks all text
    • Veraato - Lacks all text
    • Volanna - Lacks all text

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  10. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

Thanks dude that's cleared up quite a lot of missing entries

Have added them to the list.

11. PPQ_Purple

Is this thread only for collecting what's missing or can we also suggest entries?

12. black_imperator

suggesting entries is welcome

13. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

The idea is for both collecting what's missing and filling them in.

14. PPQ_Purple

Cool, in that case, count me in, again.

I can't really make up new lore for things* on account that I don't feel I have any right to do so. But I am quite decent at writing stories and texts so if any of you has some cut and dry "official" lore that you think would work but needs transforming from a list of billeted points into an actual text I volunteer. Just message me.

I'll also look into the vanilla game for stuff like descriptions of resources and such.

Also I am working off the downloadable build as opposed to the SVN one if that's ok. I am assuming the wiki content is pretty much the same.

*At least major things. Like, I could make up some lore about a resource or such. But I don't feel comfortable flat out making up backstories for characters someone else created.

15. black_imperator

well, if you have any specific entry you'd be interesting in working on, i can get you all existing lore on it. ^^

16. PPQ_Purple

In that case let's start off with Minister Koun. I already have some idea from reading some ancient lore about him back in the day. So it's a good starting point.

In related news. I am having way too much fun playing as the Sheaim. I newer actually tried for a full on evil gone to hell style game. And it's fun. Most recently I have taken to calling my Beasts of Agress after Santa's Rainder. :)

17. black_imperator

So, everything we know ab out minister koun :

First one is a direct quote from Kael, other two are from Magister. In addition, he has been featured as a minor character and Cassiel's advisor in the first Mega story thread.

In other news, found an older thread with similar objectives, there may be things we can get from this : https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/wish-list.329958/

(i have a full dump of the lore forum, so very easy to gather info when needed ^^)

18. PPQ_Purple

Supplementary questions:
    - Cassiel was the archangel of what sphere exactly?

- Cassiel was very tolerant and freedom loving, I imagine that much. Like he was basically anarchy that worked. So does that mean he would tolerate Ashen Veil worshipers openly setting up communes and temples?

- Koun strikes me as a fundamentally decent individual. Like he is not evil or a greedy power hungry "do anything to win" kind of guy. But he is not a dogooder either. Is that about right?

19. black_imperator

Cassiel was the archangel of Dagda, Angel of Balance. He doesn't allow religion persecution, so as long the priests respect the laws, they won't be bothered. If they break it, they will be prosecuted but the religion itself will not be outlawed.

As for Koun, he is slightly power-hungry and ambitious. He might not be ready to do anything to stay in power but he is a demagogue.

20. PPQ_Purple

The more I read this the more I get a Donald Trump / Putin vibe from him. Like, he is a man that is capable and he knows it. And he has an almost James Bond like charisma about him because of this. So, quite naturally, he feels like it is his right to get to a position where others obey and look up to him. It is only right after all.

vogtmurr likes this.