Ashes of Erebus (RifE's Follow-up) Download and Bug Reports

Okay, one last follow-up on this: the problem seems to have gone away. I started a new game and played until Turn 45, exited and reloaded the autosave without any errors. Continued playing to Turn 101, again exited and again was able to reload the autosave without a problem.

I don't know what went wrong with my previous game -- there might have been a Microsoft software update in the middle of it, but I'm not sure -- but so far, so good.

***edit***
I'm not going to take this down because this might still be legit, but if there is nothing obvious that might have caused this behaviour, it might have been a result of not having installed the msxml3 dll before I ran the game. I noticed some other weirdness that was probably caused by that.

In other words, this could have been a Linux/wine issue. Other than not being able to get the AoE launcher to run, Civ IV BtS and this mod run very well on Linux/wine, but there are a few hoops to jump through before it will behave well.

***original post***
I have a reliable ctd. Game save attached. When the turn is ended I'll get the spinning globe with nothing happening until it crashes to desktop. When I look at memory usage for the executable process it will start ballooning until the game crashes. It looks very much like a drastic memory leak and/or an infinite loop.

There are two Archosian leaders in stacks on tiles outside cities within a couple of tiles of each other, the a.i. Civ leader is Verraato. If I were to hazard a guess I would say that the loop happens when one leader attempts to add itself to the other leader's army. That's just a guess, I'm saying that because I've seen similar issues in the past.

I was able to fix the game save and continue playing by deleting the southern of the two stacks with the leader Captain Uldanor in it, and recreating all the units in the stack with exactly the same experience, including the leader unit. I used a generic leader which was named Rivanna the Witch, and changed that name to Captain Uldanor, so there may be something in the ai specific to that leader which was changed.

I am running the game on Linux/wine, but I don't think that has anything to do with the ctd, in every other respect the game is behaving as it should, and I remember similar issues from the days when I used to play the game on Windows versions 10 and 7. I do play with a ton of civs, but I always have done, and I don't think that is the issue here either, and my system can handle it.

If you have any questions I will endeavour to answer them.

Attachments

• reliable ctd.CivBeyondSwordSave.zip
    1 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Getting a repeatable CtD at the end of this turn. Just hit "Enter."

SVN Revision 339.

Active modules are the following: Advanced Workers, Black Duke, Chislev Expansion, Dural, Dwarves, Emergent Leaders, Everchanging, Fortifications, Frozen, Hamstalfar, Lizard Art, MOM Bulidings, More Events, Noggormotha, PPQ Effects, PPQ Flavor, PPQ Navy, Scion Healthcare, and Werepyre.

Attachments

• Nor'easter Turn_0137.CivBeyondSwordSave
    447.3 KB · Views: 98
Python exception, screenshot attached.

SVN Revision 339.

Active modules are the following: Advanced Workers, Black Duke, Chislev Expansion, Dural, Dwarves, Emergent Leaders, Everchanging, Fortifications, Frozen, Hamstalfar, Lizard Art, MOM Bulidings, More Events, Noggormotha, PPQ Effects, PPQ Flavor, PPQ Navy, Scion Healthcare, and Werepyre.

Screenshot (29).png

Looks to me like the function is trying to get the X coordinate of the player on the map. That's odd.

Here is a bug report/question. I got a new PC with windows 10 and whilst the mod runs perfectly fine I am having trouble with the worldbuilder. In particular when I load the worldbuilder up the stuff selection menu (top left) is completely minimized AND I can't click on anything on the map. Like, I select a unit and want to place it on the map but I can't. And exiting the worldbuilder leaves the main overlay (top right) on the screen bringing me into some sort of broken intermediary state between it and the game. Any ideas how to fix this? Because if I can't use the WB I can't make and test new unit models.

Summary:
- Windows 10
- Stable version of the mod
- Non steam, fresh BTS install 3.19
- All the default modules + my 3.

Problem:
- Worldbuilder is broken on load
- Clicking in it to place things, select, edit or otherwise do WB stuff does not work
- When exiting game broken.

Error.png

SVN Revision 339.

Screenshot (32).png

SVN Revision 339.

View attachment 530643

SVN Revision 339.

View attachment 530980
Yeah those are typos in the python code, thanks for the reports.

Here is a bug report/question. I got a new PC with windows 10 and whilst the mod runs perfectly fine I am having trouble with the worldbuilder. In particular when I load the worldbuilder up the stuff selection menu (top left) is completely minimized AND I can't click on anything on the map. Like, I select a unit and want to place it on the map but I can't. And exiting the worldbuilder leaves the main overlay (top right) on the screen bringing me into some sort of broken intermediary state between it and the game. Any ideas how to fix this? Because if I can't use the WB I can't make and test new unit models.

Summary:
- Windows 10
- Stable version of the mod
- Non steam, fresh BTS install 3.19
- All the default modules + my 3.

Problem:
- Worldbuilder is broken on load
- Clicking in it to place things, select, edit or otherwise do WB stuff does not work
- When exiting game broken.

View attachment 530650
i had no such issue, i'll investigate that asap ( no computer on hand at the moment though, so might take a bit)

It's odd really. Like, if I just run the game I get that. If I run it on compatibility settings other than Vista that is. Set to Vista the editor works fine but the game is just outright broken with the preloader/black screen you get when the game still loads popping into the foreground constantly every time I open a menu or change the screen. And it's definitively mod related given that I can work the game and map editor just fine in regular BTS.

After Agares and I won a Gone to Hell Victory and I resumed play, several of my cities and units disappeared and many tiles in my own territory were darkened. I've attached both before and after saves (Turn 631 and Turn 632). If it matters, Hyborem had won a Cultural Victory some turns earlier.

Attachments

• Nor'easter Turn_0631.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • Nor'easter Turn_0632.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 139
Playing as the Chislev, with the Chislev Expansion module on. I think there's still a problem with the Totems, which seems to be different for the religious Totems and the tribal Totems.

I've built the Totem of the Eagle and the Totem of the Earth in the same city.

The Totem of the Eagle gives me Totem of the Eagle (Replica) in cities within four tiles, as it should. In my one city that's further away, it shows up in the city screen as buildable, although when I mouse over it it says "National Wonder (0 left)."

The Totem of the Earth does NOT give me Totem of the Earth (Replica) in cities within four tiles. And it shows up as buildable in all those other cities where Runes of Kilmorph has spread.

I don't know what's intended with the Totems being National Wonders. You can build your Palace in a different city and move your capital that way. But other National Wonders (Heroic Epic, National Epic, Bazaar of Mammon) you can build only once. So is it intended for Totems to be buildable multiple times, like the Palace, or are they supposed to be like the other National Wonders? Also, could this pose a problem for the AI, building the same National Wonder over and over again?

Also, not sure if it has anything to with the Chislev Expansion module, but I have no idea how I'm getting this kind of production in this one city (see below). Base production 215? This is the only one of my cities where I'm seeing this, the others are all normal.

Screenshot (76).png

For the Totems, might make sense to check the other religious ones as well, not just Earth.

As for production, what's happening is that the Dwarven Fortress on the Peak two tiles south of Adis is producing 191 hammers each turn! (See below.) I built the Totem of the Earth in my capital, Imore, and that's supposed to give +2 hammers from Peaks. And anyway, as I said before, Adis didn't get the Totem of the Earth (Replica), despite being within 4 tiles of Imore.

I went through the Event Log and here are the things that happened the Turn before my production skyrocketed: 1) I cast Noggormotha's Vision; 2) I cast Haste; 3) Syliven's Perfect Lyre was built in a far away land; 4) Mercurian Gate was built in a far away land; 5) two Sea Serpents did their spitting acid spell at two of my Windtalkers and damaged them slightly. Next turn, production went up.

Unfortunately I don't have the saves from back then, since I didn't notice how off things were until too much time had passed.

Screenshot (77).png

Out of curiosity I went into World Builder and deleted the Dwarven Fortress. The Peak was producing 188 hammers. (See picture below).

Screenshot (78).png

It actually increased to 192. I went into Worldbuilder and changed the mountain to a Hill then back to a Mountain, same result. After I passed another turn it increased to 196. One turn later it was up to 200.

I don't know if it's helpful, but here's the Autosave from a few turns after the problem seems to have begun, based on the Event Log. It's the earliest one I have, since I didn't notice the issue right away.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Turn_0409.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
yeah that's what i thought, there's a +prod somewhere that updates wrongly on a turn basis (probably the one linked to the Earth totem). I should be able to track it down with that info. Thanks

Getting a repeatable CtD at the end of this turn. Just hit "Enter."

SVN Revision 339.

Attachments

• Nor'easter Turn_0529.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.4 MB · Views: 236
Played Ashes of Erubus for the first time. Seems like a great mod. I have had a couple of python errors, which don't seemed to have effected the game. Here is the error log:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvWBInterface", line 18, in writeDesc

File "CvWBDesc", line 1578, in write

File "CvWBDesc", line 470, in write

RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception
ERR: Python function writeDesc failed, module CvWBInterface
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvEventInterface", line 30, in onEvent

File "CvCustomEventManager", line 138, in handleEvent

File "CvCustomEventManager", line 149, in _handleDefaultEvent

File "CvUnitStatisticsEventManager", line 305, in onUnitKilled

File "UnitStatisticsTools", line 291, in checkHighScoresCurrentUnit

TypeError: unsubscriptable object
ERR: Python function onEvent failed, module CvEventInterface

Hi, I just created this account just to talk about the problems I have with Ashes of Erebus.
Before, I want to clarify that these errors did not happen to me with any other mod, and that I don't know how to upload an image to show what happens (sad, yes).

1_When I start or load a game, most of the attempts skip a windows error during the loading window that says "Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library Error" title.

2_In case the first error does not occur, I can play until some turn where when pressing the end of turn button everything is paralyzed (only in the game), although sometimes you can only move the mouse, you still hear the sounds of the game (including songs) , including those on the interface if I press it, but nothing happens if I do it xD.

3_Also, the game can be stopped just after loading it, after 1 or 2 seconds in the game.

Does the size of the map and the number of civilizations influence these problems? I usually play on a map large with 15 or 16 civs (as in the other mods).

I hope someone has understood what I said ( also because I am Argentine and use the translator haha). Thanks for the mod, it's great for how little I could play.

I almost forgot about the noobs questions, how do I activate the jotnar module, or any other module?

Last edited:
Top Bottom