Ashes of Erebus (RifE's Follow-up) Download and Bug Reports

Try doing a fresh install of the newest Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library from their website. It could be that this mod is compiled using a different and more modern set than the base game and this happens to be above what you've got.

As for module activation, either use the module manager in the AoE launcher, or directly move module folders from [your AoE installation directory]\Assets\Inactive Modules\Normal Modules to [your AoE installation directory]\Assets\Modules\Normal Modules.
Also please note that the Jotnar currently suffer from balance issues (OP in the hands of human players because of very strong early game units, weak in AI hands because they don't know how to play them).

Anyone else had an experience where they started the Council of Esus religion, and built the Nox Noctis, then got Baron Duin, got a blooded Shadowrider werewolf from the barbarians and had friendly units entering your territory make a beeline for it and kill it? It's hidden nationality, it's a werewolf so it's an animal/beast unit, but these aren't recon units, it should be hidden. It's not in a city. I've had a friendly crossbow unit follow it halfway across the world, hunt it down, and kill it. The only way to stop it was to go into world builder, delete and recreate the unit, or declare nationality, which I didn't want to do. The unfortunate thing is that when you recreate a werewolf unit you circumvent the werewolf script that controls it's development.

So something is broken with werewolves, hidden nationality and the cloak of Esus. Unless there's something I'm missing, which is always possible...

So something is broken with werewolves, hidden nationality and the cloak of Esus. Unless there's something I'm missing, which is always possible...
One other possibly relevant fact is that the unit that did this was crazed. However, I have had units that weren't crazed do the same thing. They get in my territory and make a beeline for that hidden nationality werewolf unit that should have been hidden. At first I thought it was because I'd made a mistake, but I don't think it was anything I did. They act as if not only can they see it, but there is something programmatically that is drawing them to the unit. Not only are they spotting it, but they are spotting it well outside of normal spotting range.

The thing is, these units are supposed to be hidden by Cloak of Esus, and even if they aren't, they are clearly being targeted from well outside spotting range. I moved the werewolf unit five tiles away from that two move crossbow unit, in a random direction, and it headed straight for it.

Again, unless there is something obvious that I'm not understanding, but as far as I could see it had the Cloak of Esus promotion, and it was not in a city. The unit tracking it was also not a recon unit, and while it was mutated, I don't think there's a mutation that allows units to spot hidden units. I'll double check that.

None of it's mutations would have allowed it to spot a hidden unit of any kind.

HN units appear to other civs as Barbarians units, not as units of the civ that owns them. I'm not a programmer, but could that be the reason they're not protected by the Nox Noctis invisibility?

HN units appear to other civs as Barbarians units, not as units of the civ that owns them. I'm not a programmer, but could that be the reason they're not protected by the Nox Noctis invisibility?
It doesn't seem to be consistent, some units are, and some units, even of the same type, don't appear to be.

Getting a repeatable CtD at the end of this turn. Just hit "Enter."

SVN Revision 339.

Active modules are the following: Advanced Workers, Black Duke, Chislev Expansion, Dural, Dwarves, Emergent Leaders, Everchanging, Fortifications, Frozen, Hamstalfar, Lizard Art, MOM Bulidings, More Events, Noggormotha, PPQ Effects, PPQ Flavor, PPQ Navy, Scion Healthcare, and Werepyre.

Attachments

• Nor'easter Turn_0717.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.4 MB · Views: 214
I would suggest that using a hidden nationality unit to kill a unit of a nation you are not at war with should modify your alignment on both the evil and chaos scales. I would suggest a range from 0 to 1 based on the alignment of the civilization the destroyed unit belongs to from -500 to 500. So if you kill a unit for a civilization with an alignment of -500/-500 or lower, there would be no penalty, while if you kill the unit of a civilization with 500/500 on the Lawful/Good scale, your alignment would be adjusted -1/-1 in the direction of Chaos and Evil.

I might take a stab at coding that myself, but I make no promises... :)

It all depends on how sneakiness fits into FFH lore. Like is it good or evil, chaotic or lawful to use assassins and the like? Or is it tied more or less to certain deities etc.

I'm not sure there's anything inherently Evil or Chaotic about Hidden Nationality. I see it as a mechanism to represent things like covert operations, espionage (since FfH doesn't have the regular espionage mechanism), minor skirmishes and border incidents that don't escalate into a full-blown war. No reason why Lawful civs or Good civs wouldn't engage in espionage or covert ops.

If you do decide to modify alignment for using HN, I don't see why the alignment of the target civ would make a difference, since alignment is based on the behavior of the civ carrying out the action.

It just seems to me to be a little chaotic and evil to be using hidden nationality units to destroy the units of friends that happen into your territory. However if the alignment of the other civilization is evil, then it could be seen as less of an evil action, or if the alignment of the other civilization is chaotic, less of a chaotic action.

If you do decide to modify alignment for using HN, I don't see why the alignment of the target civ would make a difference, since alignment is based on the behavior of the civ carrying out the action.
A case could be made to the effect that the alignment of the target in relation to you is all that should matter. As in, a Lawful civ should get some sort of penalty for sneakily screwing over another lawful civ and ditto good for screwing other good. Evil and chaotic... not so much.

A case could be made to the effect that the alignment of the target in relation to you is all that should matter. As in, a Lawful civ should get some sort of penalty for sneakily screwing over another lawful civ and ditto good for screwing other good. Evil and chaotic... not so much.

I'm just not a big fan of the idea in general, so probably didn't think too much about how to best implement it.

I rarely use HN units anyway, mostly because I don't like risking losing them to attacks from other civs with whom I'm not at war, so implementing this idea wouldn't make a huge difference to my style of play, except when playing as the Archos, I suppose.

I rarely use HN units anyway, mostly because I don't like risking losing them to attacks from other civs with whom I'm not at war, so implementing this idea wouldn't make a huge difference to my style of play, except when playing as the Archos, I suppose.
Which is exactly the context in which this idea occurred to me. I like alignment, as a game mechanic, to be meaningful and to reflect real game actions. If I'm using HN units to kill the units of friendly, lawful, and good civilizations, it just strikes me that that is the kind of thing that not only could be reflected in alignment without too much coding effort, but imo, should be. And if you aren't using HN units, you might want to take a second look at them. Used carefully, especially in conjunction with Council of Esus, they can be pretty devastating. In the game I'm playing now as Archos, I was able to kill Basium, The Mithril Golem and several iterations of late game capped units with my HN army.

Which is exactly the context in which this idea occurred to me. I like alignment, as a game mechanic, to be meaningful and to reflect real game actions. If I'm using HN units to kill the units of friendly, lawful, and good civilizations, it just strikes me that that is the kind of thing that not only could be reflected in alignment without too much coding effort, but imo, should be. And if you aren't using HN units, you might want to take a second look at them. Used carefully, especially in conjunction with Council of Esus, they can be pretty devastating. In the game I'm playing now as Archos, I was able to kill Basium, The Mithril Golem and several iterations of late game capped units with my HN army.

I definitely use HN units when playing as the Archos, since the HN Spiders are such an integral part of playing as them. Other than that, not so much. If I'm playing as the Lanun, then I'll keep the HN promotion for the Black Wind. Whatever civ I'm playing as, though, if I manage to build the Pact of the Nilhorn I have the three Hill Giants declare nationality.

I definitely use HN units when playing as the Archos, since the HN Spiders are such an integral part of playing as them. Other than that, not so much. If I'm playing as the Lanun, then I'll keep the HN promotion for the Black Wind. Whatever civ I'm playing as, though, if I manage to build the Pact of the Nilhorn I have the three Hill Giants declare nationality.
I only have them declare nationality if it's a matter of survival. If you nurse them along, and are patient with them, without any reloads, you can end up with three hill giants with 200XP before the most powerful end game units enter the game. They can be the most powerful units in the game if used properly, and even in the late eras, they will be a force to be reckoned with, and extremely useful, especially as HN units. If you have them declare nationality immediately, you lose all that.

Ironically in the game that I'm playing right now with the Archos, I was forced to declare nationality with them quite early so they didn't have the chance to gain that kind of experience. I randomly roll the number of civilizations and rolled a really low number this game. That strategy works best when you have a lot of close neighbours to selectively prey on. I actually use the half experience from combat setting because it was too easy with that strategy to gain experience.

Pact of the Nilhorn, Open Borders, leader, WIN! :)

Of course that only works against a.i. opponents, it would be quite a bit more challenging against a human opponent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom