1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ashes of Erebus Known Issues and Bug Reports

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by black_imperator, Dec 22, 2017.

1. David12596

David12596 Warlord

It worked. Thank you so much black_Imperator!

Something interesting happened in my game. When I build the thaumaturges keep as the scions with Alcinus all my citys are getting the "world considers you a villain" which is giving me -5 happiness in all my cities. Is that suppose to be like that?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  2. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

super !
    if I change this "property" on bts.exe, it'll use the compatibility mode on any BTS even if I start it using the AoE.exe or FFH2.exe ?
    do you recommend playing in compatibility mod even if gaming is somehow ok, or only if encountering issues ?

3. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

yeah, it'll change it for everytime you use BtS. If it works currently for you, i don't see any reason to change your settings. It just seems that it's required for most people at the moment

4. Calavente

it bugged recently...
    but I changed the resolution in the .ini to 600*400 and it de-bugged everything. (but using Magister's modmod)
    so I'll see next time I play AoE I'll use the compatibility mod if it bugs on loading (as it was prone to do last time I played)

5. Llewen

Llewen Warlord

Sorry, just had another idea, I don't know if it can be implemented in AoE, or even if anyone would want it to be. The way borders change due to culture has seemed to me to be both realistic and unrealistic. In my opinion the cultural control numbers should change as they do now, but tiles and cities should only transfer to another civilization when the civilizations involved are at war.

6. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Personally I like that. But for you and those like you there is a game option to disable that. When setting up a game check "No city flipping from culture".

7. Llewen

Llewen Warlord

Well, I don't mind city flipping, I just don't think it should happen outside the context of war, and that doesn't address the issue of tile flipping, which I also don't think should happen outside the context of war.

8. PPQ_Purple

It's realistic though. U have examples to this day of regions being so influenced by another culture that they revolt and join them. Just see former eastern ukraine and Russia.

9. Llewen

Llewen Warlord

It would be hard to argue that the annexation of Crimea wasn't an act of war, or that the Ukraine and Russia haven't been at war.

10. PPQ_Purple

I am talking about the other bit. That region whose name escapes me that basically revolted and wanted to join Russia sparking a civil war.

Llewen likes this.
  11. Calavente

Personnaly I like it.

Further, since vanilla civ4, culture filpping tiles is deemed to be a way to pacifically "without war" get some territory : pump the culture machine and get those tiles !
    it is supposed to be a peaceful phenomena, and it is present since the early times of the game.

And it represents another way to gain territory or to settle territory grievance outside of escalating this into war.

Many Celts were peacefully conquered by the roman empire, after years of cultural spreading and commercial exchanges. There can be a revolt, a coup, a vote, marriage of interest... anything. But sometimes the farmer or the local baron or even a city suddenly feels more attached to another empire than the one they were in beforehand.
    Think how the Spanish empire spread from spain to northern italy, swiss, germany, netherlands... some were acquired through feat of arms, and most through commercial interest and marriages... represented by cultural conversion in CIV.

12. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

I was going to write something similar to what @Calavente did, except that culture flipping actually began in Civ 3.

I think a lot these game mechanisms need to be thought of in a somewhat abstract way, as representing several things. Culture spread represents things like your people enthusiastically spreading out and settling elsewhere, neighboring peoples being enamored of your culture, small revolts here and there (eg, a group of farmers or herders revolts), culminating in a city revolt ultimately. It's up to the civ losing territory to decide how to respond. There's already a diplomatic malus ("some of your units are influencing my citizens"). I've had games where a city flip has caused the AI to declare war.

Other things are more abstract as well. Building a Market represents devoting resources to developing your economy, building a Lighthouse and Harbor represent developing a fishing industry and overseas trade, etc.

Similarly, I tend to think of a city's cultural defense as representing public morale, civil defense, civilian auxiliary groups supporting the military, etc. A Theater or Carnival isn't directly defending a city, after all.

So I would definitely favor keeping the current system.

13. PPQ_Purple

Civ2. SMAC which is based off the CIV2 engine already had tile flipping from culture. Not city flipping though.

14. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

I started with Civ 3, not having played any previous version of Civ, and read that Civ 3 introduced cultural borders into the series. I didn't know that about SMAC, that's interesting. So if SMAC introduced tile flipping, I guess Civ 3 was what extended that to include city flipping.

15. PPQ_Purple

You should definitively get SMAC. It's basically the FFH of civ2 only in SF. And I don't mean cheap SF either but like literally inspired by actual high quality SF stuff. The sort that makes you think. The mechanics are a tad old of course but the graphics still hold up.

16. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

A while back I tried the Civ 4 Planetfall Mod, which I guess is based on SMAC, and it was interesting, but it's been a while. SMAC might be worth a look, but there's only so much time one can devote to gaming.

17. Llewen

Llewen Warlord

Isn't that one of the heresies that resulted in the extermination of the Cathars?

18. Llewen

Llewen Warlord

So the crash bug when you try to upgrade a slave to a battle sluga is still a thing.

19. Llewen

Llewen Warlord

Some more information on that battle sluga crash. Even using the world builder to add a battle sluga to a city will freeze the game. I think the busy cursor still moves but the game is unresponsive in every other way.

20. Llewen

Llewen Warlord

And in fact moving a battle sluga onto a friendly city has the same effect. It might have to do with promoting the battle sluga to iron weapons. I'm going to try promoting them using the world builder. I will report back.