Ashes of Erebus (RifE's Follow-up) Download and Bug Reports

black_imperator

Emperor
Welcome Everyone to Ashes of Erebus, the current follow-up of Rise from Erebus.

The general goal of the mod is to fulfill a number of ideas that were started during the RifE period as well as expand on systems that were unfinished.

For those who know Rise from Erebus, the main difference you will find here is an updated version of the dynamic trait system, allowing leaders to gain trait experience with actions and upgrade/gain traits. There is also plenty of new content, notably lair results.

Another key part of the design is to encourage further modding. To that end, every module made by a member of the community will be added to the main download, allowing everyone to decide whether they want to activate it or not.

Latest current version is version 364, released on 07/30/23. You'll find it here : https://sourceforge.net/p/ashesoferebus/code/HEAD/tarball

You can use this thread to report bugs and ask questions. You can also join the mod's discord server : https://discord.gg/H3uqZN8

Last edited:
Has anyone tried downloading the SVN files to a separate folder and than taking a copy and pasting that copy into the game folder? That would eliminate any meddling from the SVN software that might be interfering with the game.

I'm still using the SVN -- I'm in the middle of a game right now that I'm enjoying, but once that's done I'll delete and download the mod from the link you've posted.

I've uploaded plenty of crash dump files previously, which I hope are useful.

If it's helpful, this has been my experience with crashes:

1) Often the game will crash when I'm trying to load an autosave.

2) If I'm able to load an autosave, it frequently happens with python exceptions that lead to no spell interface, no diplomacy interface, or no interface at all. In those case I'll try to exit to the Main Menu and the game will crash.

In both of the above cases I always select the "Debug" option. Sometimes one Debug is enough, sometimes I have to Debug several times, but usually at some point I end up being able to load a clean Autosave.

3) Occasionally when I exit the game after it's Autosaved I'll get a crash.

4) Very rarely do I experience a crash in game, and it's not always consistent or predictable. I had two crashes in my current game when I captured a city. Previously I had seen Python Exceptions on City Capture, but that was when an AI had captured a city and didn't result in a crash. And before this I don't recall experiencing a crash when I captured a city. Again, Debug, Reload, play, and it didn't crash.

So I hope that's useful information. When I finish up (or quit) the game I'm currently in, then I'll delete the SVN and re-download from the link you gave so I can give you more up-to-date reports.

So still getting python exceptions after replacing the SVN with the Sourceforge download. As before, no consistent pattern: sometimes the mod loads fine, sometimes it crashes on loading (whether a new game or an autosave), sometimes it loads but with python exceptions resulting in no UI or no spell or diplomacy interface, and sometimes it loads with non-fatal python exceptions. Often when I exit to try to reload I'll get a crash and select the Debug option. Usually after one or more debugs I can load the mod (new game or autosave) successfully.

I haven't noticed a pattern, but maybe there is one that I'm just not seeing.

So going forward do you prefer that we go back to using the SVN to provide you feedback?

Well, here goes my best theory.... yeah, you can switch back to the svn. I'm commiting a new revision tonight. No change on the python front but some speed improvement and bugfixes

One piece of info I can provide: I played a game of regular BtS using "Play Now." The next time I started a game of AoE I experienced no crash or python exceptions on starting the new game. (Eventually the python exceptions and crashes did happen, as I described above, and again, I couldn't discern a pattern.)

As I recall, they happened when I tried to load an autosave of the same game. It's possible that I"m not remembering accurately and that there were some non-fatal python exceptions (eg, the city-capture one) during the game that I started cleanly. Sorry for not keeping closer track, I just thought it might be significant that after a "Play Now" game of regular BtS I was able to start a game of AoE without any problems.

My game keeps crashing when I try to go to my next turn in this save.
Windows 7 64 bit, Steam version of Civ IV Beyond the Sword, in a folder called Ashes of Erebus. Downloaded from the title post, loaded using the Ashes of Erebus shortcut, then going to load game.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Turn_0113.CivBeyondSwordSave
    267.2 KB · Views: 277
So I gotta say I love the amount of work youve put in to this and im amazed and really pleased this game is still being developed.

My issue font errors and a lack of symbols. Eg i cant see happiness or health symbols, percentage signs and a hsot of other minor stuff which is surprisingly impacting.

Updated from 301 to 302.

There's still a conflict between BannorChainOfCommand and Greatest People. Additionally, all the modules have Error While Checking Version - isn't affecting play far as I can tell, but worth mentioning.

I disabled BannorChainOfCommand. Greatest People is still giving me a conflict -
greatest people.png

Fairly certain it shouldn't be conflicting with itself. Conflict remains even after removing BCOC altogether.

Test start - no Python Exception dialog box spam.

EDIT: I lie - there are Python Exceptions, such as here, where the diplomacy doesn't work:
cvdiplomacy.png

Last edited:
normally the conflict shouldn't be an actual problem. I've fixed the actual issue last commit. i'll see what i can do.

yeah the diplomacy error is a known problem. I can give you a quickfix but it breaks multiplayer

normally the conflict shouldn't be an actual problem. I've fixed the actual issue last commit. i'll see what i can do.

yeah the diplomacy error is a known problem. I can give you a quickfix but it breaks multiplayer
I don't play multiplayer, so it's fine.

Trying to reload the save from yesterday, got two crashes during loading and one case of this (followed by another crash):
pythob.png

The crashes seem to occur either during Initialising or Setup Map - given that I've got 18 civs, I'm not too surprised about the latter, but the former is concerning.

Last edited:
Game's crashing on end of Turn 272. I've got the 4GB patch installed, so it shouldn't be that. Any help?

I rolled back another turn and then made it to Turn 276 before the same crash as before.

Have decided to cut to the chase and am reinstalling the entire game.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Turn_0271.CivBeyondSwordSave
    509 KB · Views: 446
  • AutoSave_Turn_0272.CivBeyondSwordSave
    510.3 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Reinstalled the game, got hit with a UI bug that meant resource icons weren't showing up & text slightly too big, am reinstalling again.

EDIT: Turned out I wasn't on Original Release.

Last edited:
So I fixed that ui bug by playing in civ 4 original release problem is I then cant play multiplayer because game spy... Sucks

Reinstalled and ran headfirst into exception spam which went to a no-interface.

On a different note im getting a weird bug maybe with the elves... Which is massive negative relations penalty with other civs from past events have drawn our people apart... No idea where its coming from.

Top Bottom