Asian city set ideas

Unfortunately, there are only 5 culture groups, as you all know. So India is lumped in with China and Japan. The city style looks ridiculous for India (and pretty ridiculous for China and Japan as well). So I am asking: what region's architecture would be most appropriate for China, India, Japan, Korea, and the Mongols? And could that be made?

My two ideas so far would be either a straight hybrid (pagodas AND mandirs :crazyeye:) or a Nepal/Tibet style one.

Pictures for inspiration:

Spoiler :

I always make India part of the Middle East group. Works much better.

I always make India part of the Middle East group. Works much better.

That depends on what else you lump in with that particular catch-all.

I move Rome into the Euro group, and the rest of the Mediterranean group into the Middle East so that I can add an African group. So for me, putting India in there as well wouldn't work out very well. It all depends on what Huayna Capac357 is wanting to do with everyone in general.

I count myself as part of the "stick India in the middle east" crowd, but a South/East/Southeast Asian city set is not a bad idea at all. There is obviously a trade-off here between being inclusive of all Asian cultures and representing any one of them with a good degree of accuracy, but if your goal is the former, I see two (not mutually exclusive) possibilities:

1) Concentrate on Buddhist architecture. While there are obviously many regional variations, I assume (not knowing much about this topic) that there are common principles upon which the regional architectures are based, which could be utilized in the design of the buildings for this set. At a civ scale, the lack of finer details won't matter as much.

2) I also support Blue Monkey's suggestion; Himalayan cities could work well, being at a geographic and cultural crossroads, and they would just be plain good to have anyway.

Furthermore, while the landmark buildings of different cultures are obviously different from region, the vast majority of buildings in any city, common houses, have a more uniform appearance (or they, at least, shouldn't look out of place at a civ scale, as Varwnos has proven). So domestic buildings may help give a generic appearance if landmark buildings don't as well.

Already has been done: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=117887

Outdated, but I haven't the time to do a new city set.
:blush: I had forgotten those even though they are in my dl'd selection.
Looks very nice. I wish someone could do a newer version, but I guess it'll do for now.
More variety - a little more of the Indian as seen in a couple of posted photos, & a little something to give it a more Central Asian feel - would be great in an updated version. Whoever makes it.

Top Bottom