1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Asian Dragon 23/07/07

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Orthanc, Jul 23, 2007.

1. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

That's a beauty! :thumbsup:

2. 96nn

96nn Warlord

:goodjob: Love it very much! Thank you, Orthanc.:king:

:bowdown: Dragon(or called "loong" now) is a kind of divinity animal in asia:jesus: . The highest loong has five fingers on every claw, the pattern of it can only be used by the emperor. And four fingers lower, and three fingers lower...:old:

Here is a 4-fingers loong which made by La_dav.:D

Attached Files:

• 121.jpg
      121.jpg
      File size:
      230.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

:thanx: Everyone! There were some fun times making this!

@Stormrage: Yeah, might've been less than a year. I remember you asking about it after I released my King of Red Lions unit, which was around the end of August.

4. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Wow, I really like this one. You have done many good units, this one is your best. I agree with the other comments... the animations are flawless and the clouds (always hard to get perfect) are really well done.

5. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Well, it just shows some things are worth waiting for :)

6. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Good! That's one less summon I have to muck with..... Trying to remember how one gets leviathan... Heck with it. I think I've figured it out (sometimes I get sparky at the wierdest times): I'll have the unique tech be para-magic, the small wonder be a Garden (might have to farm out requests for someone to make me a Garden Small Wonder), and the summoned creature that's generated be Leviathan! Now I just need to run over to my FF mod progress thread and update the summoning section.

I'm also glad that my current unit project was delayed for 3 days due to some RL interference and won't likely be done this month, since it would never win against this dragon here (and it is even an airship).....

7. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Well.. Orthanc will be making 2 Garden units.. maybe he can make Wonders too? :)

Spoiler :
    Yes, I am aware that the man actually makes wonders, just look at his units

8. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Do you mean how one gets a hold of him in FFVIII? Well, you can be glad that I have a damn good memory and am a hardcore Final Fantasy fan. If you've played the game, you might remember going to the basement of Balamb Garden, where you meet the garden master NORG. When you fight him, you have the ability to draw Leviathan from him.

If you ever have questions about Final Fantasy, I'd be glad to answer them! ;)

9. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

Holy wicked fire attack, Orthanc! Wow!

10. BadKharma

BadKharma Deity

I am just stunned the level of work on this unit is astounding!

11. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Well, I'd have remembered, but some of the RL interference involved me driving 600 miles yesterday and not getting home until about 3 AM, after which I had to get up at 6 and go to work, hence why I couldn't remember.... So it would seem my choice of having a Garden as the small wonder would be apropriate (I was going to see if someone, possibly me could make one that looked like Balamb Garden, too).

Edit: if you could look over the first page of the FF mod Project thread and tell me what would be the best/easiest summons to add for the civs where the summons, techs or SW are unknown would also help.

12. Heptadelphoi

Heptadelphoi 7 brothers

Simply great unit mate. i love it.

13. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

14. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

That's really something. :goodjob:

15. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

It's as great as i thought it would be. :goodjob:

16. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Those are a really nice addition to this already awesome unit! Thanks for posting them Blue Monkey, they really help round the unit off! :goodjob:

17. Snorken

Snorken Emperor

One of the best units ever, Orthanc. Wonderful work! :)

18. Exoticpollution

Exoticpollution Chieftain

That's really cool. I haven't tried it in-game but I'm sure the clouds help to give a sense of the immensity of the unit which is sometimes lost with everything being more or less the same size.

I was wondering because of the pedia pic what the meaning of the ouroboros is in Asian mythology. I guess I'll have to look that up.

19. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

The imperial dragon had five toes and was reserved only for the emperor. I've heard that even nowadays, a representation of a five-toe dragon is rare. The imperial family, the Emperor of Japan, and the kings of Korea were "allowed" to have dragons with four fingers since the Chinese emperor was essentially regarded as the top ruler of the known world. Most other people could only have dragons with three fingers. Basically, the less toes, the more inferior. However, the Koreans actually have a representation of a seven-toed dragon. :mischief:

20. 96nn

96nn Warlord

:lol: Under the traditional rule of ancient Asia, only the monarch of China can be called "emperor"(Huangdi in Chinese). The monarchs of Korea, Japan and Vietnam, were only "kings"(Wang in Chinese). :crazyeye: Japanese made an exception, they called their monarch "emperor" in their own country, but must call him "king" in the presence of Chinese.

The 7-toed loong in Korea, can not be showed publicly except after the China-Japan war in 1894(Chinese was defeated). Because this kind of behavior mean lese majesty to Chinese emperor. If it(the 7-toed loong) was showed in clothes, buildings or any other things, Korean must face a war.:undecide: