1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Asian guys in my show? Not gonna happen!"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Atlantic Pacf., Mar 7, 2015.

1. Crackerbox

Crackerbox King

It wasn't funny in 1965 and it sure isn't funny in 2005. It's extremely dated racist humor and it's not going away.

Link to video.

2. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

No, because it is funny.

3. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

The problem with making meta jokes is that far too many people take you literally.

The joke isn't the making fun of Asian people, the joke is making fun of people who make fun of Asian people. Sometimes, there's an added bonus of say, joking about the way people make fun of people who racistly make fun of Asian people.

And if you don't understand that, I don't know how to help.

4. Crackerbox

Crackerbox King

NO! You don't get a pass for that. No one would dream of doing a white person imitating an African-American. It would be considered extremely poor taste.

It gets even worse with the Ms. Swan skits.

Link to video.
    Reid was making a play on "wrong" and could't keep his "Wongs" straight i.e. all of the Chinese look alike. It's stupid and especially to joke in this manner to an Asian-American audience.

Or how about the ESPN report who got fired for discussing Jeremy Lin's in his armor. It's persistent because people sat, "Oh I'm kidding. What's the big deal? Lighten up."

What was funny in 1965 is not funny anymore now that Asian-Americans are a voting block and since we're claiming not to persist with racist stereotypes in the media.

Or the California Utility Company who dresses up an African-American in drag and whiteface, dressed as a geisha, spoke in halting language as a public service announcement. It's gross.

5. Hygro

So we shouldn't ridicule racists?

6. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

Someday, if your an Asian American you learn to joke about it.

I mean, the Asian Americans I know care about school more than other non Asian American students on average (If you look at top 20 for GPA in my high school the list is predominantly Asian.), but we aren't all work. We have lives outside of school, and our parents aren't strict control freaks. They care about us. I know that while my parents want me to be a doctor, they do support my interest in writing.

I think that Hollywood feels it's okay to stereotypes Asians because the stereotypes are mainly positive. I mean, Asians are the "model" minority. But this does put a sort of barrier between me and my non-Asian classmates. I remember that I once swore in front of a white classmate, and she looked so surprised and said something along the lines of "I never expected this of you."
    I was so shocked and embarrassed I never swore in front of her again.

7. Crackerbox

Crackerbox King

Well, we pretend the stereotypes are mostly positive since we're the model minorities, but all of the little dick comments, the nerd comments, the halting language, every Asian wears glasses and has buck teeth and on an on. Heck I don't even look Asian and I got the crazy racist nonsense as a kid as well as throughout the OJ Simpson Trial and Judge Ito. People get away with it, and Asians by and large don't complain but suck it up, and it's annoying.

8. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Actually, now I'm kinda curious, are there any other Asian-Americans here (or Asian-Canadians, Asian-Australns, Asian Brits, what have you)? Other than me, TK, Leonel (if I recall correctly), bhavv (I think) and jacketgull?

9. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

I find the preponderance of white in the media and the effect it has on me odd. When I got to America, my parents were tightwads, and believed music was for the devil, so I never watched TV, browsed the internet (My dad had a computer solely for work) or listened to music. My main exposure to media was reading. And by middle school I had a TV and watched shows and cartoons.

Even then by the time I was old enough to write every single character I wrote was white. I never wrote or imagined a character looking like me, or Asian at all. I found that both odd, and a little disturbing.

10. Crackerbox

Crackerbox King

Earlier there was nearly a total absence of positive Asian role models.The cartoons were particularly brutal as if Asians were some mutants, not human beings, but subhuman. Other than Kato on the Green Hornet (Bruce Lee in an earlier role) tv and film was devoid of Asians to emulate. There was Sulu (George Takei) who was often window dressing.

Link to video.
    It stayed like that forever. Bruce Lee did get a part on Greenstreet in a guest appearance as a martial arts expert. I think all Asian guys went through that period where every single one of your heroes or the superheroes you drew were white guys.

There was yellowface of course. Say on Kung Fu, the main character of Caine was played by a white guy. It wasn't very convincing as he didn't look like any of my Asian friends. How could he? Bruce Lee was particularly pissed about losing the part.

Link to video.

11. Atlantic Pacf.

Atlantic Pacf. Back from the dead

I'm actually a Chinese American, so let me continue sharing my two cents.

It looks like everyone here agrees that Asians are deemed "acceptable targets" by the mainstream media. It's grating when you see (for instance) Disney Channel or Cartoon Network "honor black history," then shows a scene showing hordes of Asians speaking in stereotypical accents. Right now the entertainment industry is filled with racism - it's with the police as one of the most racist institutions in America, IMO. If your executives are making racist jokes and sending racist emails everywhere, then what hope do we have in removing the "subtler" forms of racism.

There needs to be more representation of minorities - Asians definitely, but also others - in the entertainment industry - not just stars but also (ie. especially) producers and executives. Failing that, then the industry (and regular white people) needs to wake up and know that Asians are here to stay and need to be treated as Americans - not as the "perpetual foreigner" laughing stocks.

12. Hygro

Pretty much all of pop culture is white people imitating black people.

13. Crackerbox

Crackerbox King

Kristi Yamaguchi who won Olympic gold medals was one of the few athletes who didn't get commercial endorsement contracts. She was pretty hurt about it and spoke about it later. It was shocking to me because she had such a winning smile and appeared so wholesome and destined to do just those sort of ad spots. Later that turned around. I think people felt embarrased by it.

A now banned Flintstone depiction of Asians. Note the extreme warping of the characters face, his height making him a dwarf, etc. Now think, have you seen any memes like that for Asians recently? Of course you have. It still persists.

Link to video.

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Oddly I'm a bit in the same boat as you with regards to media exposure - my parents were strict, though not to the extent of your parents. Yet when I write or imagine characters, they always look like me, they always look Asian. Maybe it helped that I grew up in a very diverse, inclusive area that included a lot of Asians, and many of my friends growing up were Asians. Even when I was young, when I had more white main characters, the Asians always outnumbered them (actually, I can only think of two examples at the moment - a Greek and an Italian). Heck, even when I do still have "white" main characters, they are still Asian in some way (whether through adoption or distant blood).

And now, after I've learned more and more about the stereotypes and such towards Asians, it only wants to me write stories more. Not just stories about the so-called Asian-American experience (whatever that means) that often deal with issues of identity and racism and what not, but just stories about Asians being normal people, to prove that, hey, we are normal folks too.

This probably isn't very relevant, but as Chinese-Americans made up the largest ethnic bloc where I grew up (after Jewish-Americans), a lot of my Asian friends are Chinese, and I think in some ways despite not being Chinese (I'm Vietnamese) my experiences growing up have more similarities to that of Chinese-Americans. Well, at least a subset of them.

Good and simple way of putting it. Folks dismiss racism towards Asians easily, but it's there.

15. Atlantic Pacf.

And why are racist jokes funny. They're basically schadenfreude - they give the jokers pleasure at the expense of other races. Now from the perspective of the joke teller, they're a dime a dozen. But for the group that's the butt of all these jokes, it gets to you over time. It's a classic form of microagression.

16. Crackerbox

Crackerbox King

I think we can all mildly laugh when one ethnic joke is said, but there was a barrage of it growing up. As the depiction of African-Americans in cartoons as stereotypes subsided, the Asian ones persisted. There was the occasional Asian-American girl placed into the backdrop of children's shows, she seldom had any lines, but that turned around ~1995 or so.

Think about this. Imagine you have ethnic children. You cringe when they see those cartoons and today's memes. They look at you for an explanation and about age 10 or so, "Dad, ummm...I'm getting teased at school. Somebody left this meme on my locker. Why can Asians be made fun of this and even the teacher thinks it's funny?" I've know kids that actually didn't want an Asian name as it immediately got changed by one of the teachers, "Oh we'll call you Frank instead." Or some idiot coach, "Hey, you know how Chinese-Americans name their kids? They drop silverware on the floor." Imagine saying that to one of your students? Few Asians raise a stink about these things.

I feel sorry for them mostly. Yet another generation having to deal with idiots who say, "Lighten up." Well it's not so easy for an Asian-American child to lighten up when he's being bullied in this manner. He's not a self-confident adult man, but a child who sees the unfairness of it versus if he was an African-American. Then it would be labeled as racism. When it comes from another minority then, it really stings as if he's on the very bottom of the pecking order.

17. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Because the essence of humor is to play upon the differences between people.

18. Atlantic Pacf.

Ah, that brings me back to middle school. When people had no problems just coming up to me and say rude racist things. It got slightly better, but even now there's always the group of ignoramuses who say "Hey Li Li come here!"

I should say that many (but not all) of those bullies were minorities themselves. (I live in a quite diverse area). It goes to show you how bad it is when people thing "Hey, I'm being subjected to institutionalized racism, I need a target that's acceptable to be racist to myself!"

19. Crackerbox

Crackerbox King

Being an Asian-American in the rural South, there were a handful of other Asian-Americans, so naturally we played together. Over time there were a few more, but never in any appreciable amounts.

So then I go on a trip to Asia and my flight has a layover at LAX. I was SHOCKED by how many Asians there were. I kinda went crazy and would go up to some that I perceived were of the same nationality. They would chuckle and say, "No my family hasn't spoken that language since two generations ago." I must have come across as supremely weird to them.

I nearly moved to California because of this. I felt completely like an alien in my region.

20. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I grew up in a diverse area too, but oddly everyone was pretty inclusive and respectful (of course you get some kids who act stupid, but generally speaking everybody frowned down about that behavior). The school system and the parents always tried to discourage discrimination and in general bullying of any sort, and most folks were first or second generation kids with upper-middle class, well-educated parents, anyways, so despite our differences we also had quite a bit in common socio-economically I suppose. About 30% of the kids in my class were Asian (and ~40% were Jewish, as an aside), most of them being Chinese or Korean. Anyways, that's why as an Asian, I never really experienced any racism until my college years.