"Asian guys in my show? Not gonna happen!"

Putting a less qualified person into a medical or law school is a rotten idea. However, given the fact that we literally can't make doctors fast enough in the USA, then we could and should vastly increase enrollment. If that happened, then affirmative action would be totally unnecessary. Medical schools would be very diverse. We're falling short of 45,000 internal medicine or family practice physicians and 46,000 surgeons. There's no reason to limit the enrollment so low.

The original idea of Affirmative Action(AA) was to temporarily allow greater amounts of minorities into colleges due to discriminatory practices. At a certain point, continuing AA is saying that certain minorities need perpetual aid to get in, and hence a huge insult to them.

The role never says "I hate you", rather it says, "This is how I percieve you." Asian stereotypes are as you say "less overtly offensive" because they are not as obviously damaging. Saying "I percieve you as thugs and gansta rappers" is obviously damaging, while saying "I percieve you as nerds and math geniuses, and super-students" is not, in fact it is arguably beneficial. And that is why you find the depictions "more pernicious", because since they are positive stereotypes, it seems easier to accept, internalize and imitate them. But the reality is that the stereotyped group always partially internalizes the stereotypes no matter how overt, or negative the sterotypes are. That is why negative ones are so much more damaging than positive ones. Again...

Blackface isn't just a stereotypical depiction of black people, though, it specifically describes white performers playing stereotypically, usually consciously derogatory depictions of black characters. That is the distinction I am drawing.

And again, I am not at all convinced that stereotypes of Asian people are in any way beneficial, simply because they are less actively damaging. I can't buy into that sort of relativism. It's just a cop-out.

Tropic Thunder. This statement is just incorrect and plays into the "Asians have it worse" myth.
Yeah, no. Downey's character is a white method actor using in-universe blackface. The joke is that, as a parody of method actors, he's too self-involved to realise that what he's doing is very offensive.

:) A "proportional number of roles" set-aside specifically for Asian actors?:D Yes, that is exactly what affirmative action is. Affirmative action attempts to encourage a more proportional representation of women and minorities in institutions to counterract the numerous imbeded psychological, ideological, economic, historical, and market-based biases against them.
"Affirmative action" typically describes an institutionalised preference, though, and Crackerbox isn't suggesting anything like that, only that writers and producers shed their prejudices. Whether or not that is affirmative action, it is entirely reasonable, because he is simply asking that writers and prejudices do their best to be good people rather than bad people, which you may recognise as the basis of all religious and ethical systems in human history.

As an aside... It is so ironic, and a little amazing to me how fair affirmative action seems to people when it is applied to the disadvantages that their group suffers, but it seems so unfair when the same principle is applied to other groups:) Just curious... What did you think affirmative action was? Stealing things from Asians and giving it to Blacks instead? Trying to make institutions 50% Black?:confused:
I understand "affirmative action" to describe the institutionalised preference for advantaging of certain minorities, intended to compensate for unconcious prejudices or structural disadvantages, with the hope of creating an even-playing field, in aggregate if not always at an individual level.

Yes, I watched the entire Anime (which was far better than the movie BTW). This is exactly my point. They added a "European" nation but not an "African" one, once again disproving the "Asians get treated worse" myth.
They didn't add a pseudo-European nation, though, they simply cast white actors as members of a pseudo-Tibetan and a pseudo-Tibetan nation. If they had crowbarred in Ye Olde Kingdom of Mayonnaise, it would have been obnoxious but internally consistent; as it is, the producers simply expressed an unapologetic preference for white actors.

When a character appears and it's a white actor in yellowface playing a despicable stereotype, then how could one possibly say it wasn't just as bad as minstrel shows of African-Americans?
It is not as bad, or at least not necessarily as bad, because minstrel shows were specifically intended to mock and belittle African-Americans, while yellowface portrayals are not necessarily intended to mock and belittle Asian people. You might be able to draw equivalences between specific performances, but not as general phenomena.

Still on the warpath, I see?

It seems like it isn't me who is doing the "hollering" and "foot stamping" here. I was arguing against a mischaracterisation of my position, but if you weren't doing that, then I misunderstood and I apologise. Still, it's good to make it clear, even if it seems to have lit your fuse.

When my 'fuse is lit' I'm not allowed to post. If you are still standing on 'Aelf should be able to make a false accusation and if called on it the other guy is crazy defensive' you may eventually light my fuse. Meanwhile, since we have sorted out that you jumped on this non existent mischaracterization of your position that is satisfactorily resolved.

I don't think it's such a diverse group. It's about the same topic and you're arguing more or less the same kind of things.

Racism is a sensitive topic, and recently that has been true for both 'sides'. You think Crackerbox is easily set off in this discussion, but people on the other 'side' is the same, as I'm seeing now.

I was only going on your report that people call what you say nonsense all the time. It seemed like a pretty wide generalization not limited to the topic at hand and more likely linked to the way you jump on non existent mischaracterizations of your position. Your issue to examine as you choose, I just made a suggestion.

Firstly, do you think affirmative action is racist?

Depends on the application. If it is applied in a manner that creates absurdities, and the only thing in its favor is 'to help out race X', then yeah, it is. If it is applied sensibly such that it addresses genuine inequities that cannot be addressed in other ways it is a very good thing. Most applications fall somewhere between those extremes.

Secondly, do you think this is simply due to the rarity of Asian actors and not due to audience preferences, perceived or otherwise? This problem isn't just something happening in the movie world, but also on TV, which AFAIK does have a supply of Asian actors in small(er) roles.

There is seldom anything that is 'simply' due to any single factor.

I personally think that 'audience preferences' fall generally in the 'don't care' category, but that could be from living in California. In my general world of acquaintance no one really cares if the role of Bob the Zookeeper is played by a white, black, Hispanic or Asian. If a production set in Colorado has an all Asian cast that may come off as weird just because people do have a basic understanding of demographics and a Colorado town full of Asians would strike the same note as a Colorado town full of palm trees. Since I think that the 'audience preference' is false, I think that producers responding as if it were not false would be stupid, and in general I don't think that they are.

So while I'm not buying the 'audience preference', I'm not limiting to 'scarce actors' as sole cause either.

And I've never argued that the entire cast needs to be made up of minorities. Not sure where you got that.

From someone else apparently. Traitorfish with the 'Last Airbender is Asian culture so the characters must be Asian' line of reasoning is one candidate. Glad to hear you recognize the lack of necessity for that.

In a local theatre near me, there's a performance of Macbeth with an all Indian cast.

I'm very tempted to go. If only I can find someone to go with.

In a local theatre near me, there's a performance of Macbeth with an all Indian cast.

I would go, but since the theater is near you it is certainly not near me.

Why don't you just go on your own? Going to the cinema is not very popular here and I normally just go alone if there's something I want to see. Maybe it seems a little sad but who cares?

I find that it is a lot easier to meet new people when I'm alone.

I find that it is a lot easier to meet new people when I'm alone.

It's amazing how few people realize this. When you are by yourself all you have to worry about is whether or not you get along with the new person as opposed to having to worry about if the new person is going to be compatible with you as well as the person/people you are with.

When my 'fuse is lit' I'm not allowed to post. If you are still standing on 'Aelf should be able to make a false accusation and if called on it the other guy is crazy defensive' you may eventually light my fuse. Meanwhile, since we have sorted out that you jumped on this non existent mischaracterization of your position that is satisfactorily resolved.

I was only going on your report that people call what you say nonsense all the time. It seemed like a pretty wide generalization not limited to the topic at hand and more likely linked to the way you jump on non existent mischaracterizations of your position. Your issue to examine as you choose, I just made a suggestion.

Nope. What I meant is people choose to focus on where they feel they have avenues of attack rather than concede that they may be mistaken about something else they said.

And if there is a misreading, there's also likely a lack of clarity in the first place.

Timsup2nothin said:
There is seldom anything that is 'simply' due to any single factor.

I personally think that 'audience preferences' fall generally in the 'don't care' category, but that could be from living in California. In my general world of acquaintance no one really cares if the role of Bob the Zookeeper is played by a white, black, Hispanic or Asian. If a production set in Colorado has an all Asian cast that may come off as weird just because people do have a basic understanding of demographics and a Colorado town full of Asians would strike the same note as a Colorado town full of palm trees. Since I think that the 'audience preference' is false, I think that producers responding as if it were not false would be stupid, and in general I don't think that they are.

So while I'm not buying the 'audience preference', I'm not limiting to 'scarce actors' as sole cause either.

From someone else apparently. Traitorfish with the 'Last Airbender is Asian culture so the characters must be Asian' line of reasoning is one candidate. Glad to hear you recognize the lack of necessity for that.

But in the case of The Last Airbender, the setting is in a Tibetan-like society. If you think it's absurd to have an entire Colorado town full of Asians, why is it much less a head scratcher here to have the main character switched from Asian to white? I get that there would be a challenge trying to get an all-Asian cast. But surely at least the main character should be faithful to the original? I think that's perfectly reasonable.

And am I right to say that you think audience preference figures not at all into the equation ("I'm not buying the 'audience preference'")? I think that is simply wrong, since there have been documented cases where audiences react badly to Asian protagonists behaving in ways that white protagonists do (e.g. having a non-Asian love interest). I'm not sure if there is any more specific research on audience preferences, but I think you can extrapolate from this that if producers want to sell a big-budget film with all the typical elements that make them popular, they'd probably have to go with white actors. But I doubt I can convince you of that anymore than I can convince you that you're wrong about anything else, as is not unusual on the Internet.

So where does this leave us? In the UK, certain associations have managed to secure the commitment of some major broadcasters/studios to have more Asians on screen in order to have better ethnic representation in the mainstream media. I think that's a positive development. Is that a case of affirmative action that creates absurdities?

Actually, somehow in the editing I left out the word "heavily", since I think audience preference is mostly "don't care" but I'm willing to accept that it does exist. I'd be interested in seeing your documented cases though, especially if they are really current. I think that like most race/gender/sexual preferences bias that this 'bad reaction to Asian actor' business is probably in fairly rapid decline.

Whether that case of affirmative action creates absurdities remains to be seen. Will Asians who really aren't qualified be given roles just to get them on screen? If a hundred actors audition will the one Asian be the automatic choice so the rest feel like there was no point even being there? Will Asian actors feel like they don't even have to compete to get work?

You seem to think that because I said affirmative action that creates absurdities is a bad thing that I was speaking some sort of code for "I don't want to sound racist but I hate affirmative action", which is very far from what I think. I, on the other hand, have the feeling you believe affirmative action has never gone wrong and never can. Is that true, or just a response to the tenor of your question?

Meanwhile, I have a question or two about this 'Tibetan like society'. IMDB describes it as "a war torn world of elemental magic"...that's Tibetan? Looks to me like some sort of alchemy as religion...that's Tibetan? What exactly makes this so "Tibetan like" that having white people in it is out of place?

If the film is set "in a Colorado town" there are expectations. I'm not really getting how this is in the same line at all.

Tropic Thunder is an interesting example. Not to give away part of the movie to those who have not seen it but:

Spoiler :

Tropic Thunder was using pretty easy humor to poke fun at racism. Not just blackface, but a few other things as well: including the general stereotypes hollywood requires many black folk to conform to to get a role and get paid, and interestingly, white people who inappropriately get offended on behalf of others, trying to annex some kind of credibility (blackface being a more obvious step than "my friend is black").

I feel the frustration at the blackface in that movie was similar to Colbert's reminder of the racist tropes aimed at Asian people: by showcasing it so blatantly, it creates an easy point of reference for recognizing and resisting certain forms of bigotry.

So let me get this straight...

We have a movie that is a satire of movie making. It mocks blackface, among other aspects of the industry...and our local film critics are calling it out as racist for that.

In short, he who laughs last didn't get the joke, but he who doesn't laugh at all probably just refuses to get it so they have something to fight about.

Yeah, no. Downey's character is a white method actor using in-universe blackface. The joke is that, as a parody of method actors, he's too self-involved to realise that what he's doing is very offensive.
Ah, so your point is its not offensive because its a joke? I saw the movie. I got the joke. I get the satirical aspect. It's still offensive. And it was intended to be offensive. That is the whole point of the character, and indeed the movie, to be offensive in a satirical way. Satire is often offensive, as is humor in general.

"In-universe" blackface is different from "out-of-universe" blackface? That's just rhetoric. What does that even mean?:confused: What you seem to be saying is that if the blackface is not intended to be offensive but intended to be humorous or satirical (which is just another form of humor) then its not "real" blackface, ie not offensive. Or maybe you would put it as "Sure the imaginary movie 'Tropic Thunder' that the real movie Tropic Thunder was about was offensive, but that wasnt the real movie either. The "real" movie was about an accidental movie created when the imaginary movie filming goes wrong but the actors don't know it and keep on making the movie they think is real but now is just a vehicle for making a new imaginary movie... so its not offensive" Right?:crazyeye:

Or as Sgt Osiris might say "Its a movie playing a movie, disguised as another movie":crazyeye: but of course the real point of his line, indeed of his character, is that its blackface playing blackface disguised as blackface, and its still offensive no matter how many layers of "in-universe/out of universe" you obscure it behind. Let me give a related example that anyone with children will understand- Children will often "tell on" someone who has used vulgar language or "curse-words" and they of course with great gusto repeat the vulgarity under the auspices of calling out the misdeeds of others. But then you remind them that they are not to use vulgarity, even to repeat or call attention to what others have done. Tropic Thunder is an example of offending in order to "tell on" Hollywood. But its still offensive.

This type of blackface is always a joke/satire. Its used as a vehicle to parody or caricature the popular perception Black people or culture. That is exactly what "Tropic Thunder" does. "Bamboozled" does the same thing. Its still offensive. However not so offensive that I couldn't appreciate the movie, including the satirical/humorous nature of the role itself, as well as the other nearly equally offensive character, rapper "Alpa Chino." I understand that all actors but particularly minorities, have to play minstrel-roles to get parts. I accept that, move on, and just try to enjoy the movie. I usually succeed.

But you don't, instead you say "Asians are underepresented! Asians are mistreated! We need affirmative action to correct this situation." Which is fine... and then I look at the University situtaion vis-a-vis Blacks and say "We need affirmative action to correct this situation." But then I hear Asians say "Well that's not fair!":crazyeye: See my point?
So let me get this straight...

We have a movie that is a satire of movie making. It mocks blackface, among other aspects of the industry...and our local film critics are calling it out as racist for that.
To the extent that I am one of those local critic, yes, Osiris is offensive. But as I said, he is intended to be offensive, and I understand that. Offensive characters are part-and-parcel of moviemaking. Offensive material is vital to good satire/comedy.

Remember, my argument is not advocating the banning of stereotypical or offensive characters. My point is, and has always been that Asians are not treated worse than any other minorities. My point is and has been that stereotypes can be used in beneficial ways. Here, the Osiris character on a bilboard is harmful in the sense that (especially to a person who did not see the film) it suggests that "Hey blackface is acceptable in mainstream cinema!" but it was helpful in that the very offensive and provacative nature of it was the reason I was interested enough to watch the film, and therefore recieve the satirical message.

Stereotypes/caricatures etc can be harmful and beneficial in many ways, and Asians are not the worst (or only) recipients of stereotypical or offensive humor. That remains my point.

In this connection, some may take an interest in an essay I wrote a year ago on Colbert's Ching Chong Ding Dong. It's post 89 in "Stephen Colbert makes joke" thread. Sorry. Working from phone. Can't make link.

Here it is:
Mr Grey said:
On his March 26, 2014, show, Stephen Colbert did a piece on the Washington Redskins’ owner Dan Snyder’s new foundation for “Original Americans.” The Redskins’ owner has dug in his heels in defiance of pressure to change the name of his franchise because that name is offensive to Native Americans. His foundation is a patent, pathetic, and in fact itself offensive PR effort that well deserves any scorn that a satirist like Stephen Colbert might heap on it.

But Asian Americans do not deserve the manner in which Stephen Colbert chose to satirize Snyder’s initiative.

In the persona that he adpots for the show, “Stephen Colbert,” Stephen Colbert revealed that “The Colbert Report” had itself taken heat for its mascot: a Chinaman named Ching-Chong Ding-Dong. He showed a clip that had aired on a 2005 episode of the show featuring Ching-Chong Ding-Dong interacting with an intern, telling her in broken English that if she kissed his teacup, he wouldn’t need sugar, and if she hopped on his rickshaw, he would drive her to Bangkok (with the obvious sexual innuendo, Bang-cock). After the clip, “Colbert,” announced his own initiative, modeled on that of Snyder: The Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Asians or Whatever.

Just that phrase, outside of the total context of Colbert’s piece, appeared on Twitter, posted by an account called @ColbertReport, and it quickly generated a rage hashtag campaign #CancelColbert, spearheaded by social activist Suey Park.

The ensuing controversy has broken along predictable lines: some Asian-Americans voicing their displeasure and calling for the show’s cancellation and some fans of the show arguing, first, that the Twitter post that originally prompted the controversy was out of context (and not provided by the show itself) and, second, that the people who are offended simply don’t understand how Colbert’s comedy works, and that, in its total context, nothing Colbert did should be regarded as offensive. One might be offended by what “Colbert” said, but not by what Colbert did. If you are offended, you’re a humorless social justice warrior--and a dolt who doesn’t understand how Colbert’s comedy works to boot.

I do understand how Colbert’s humor works. I watch the show regularly. I enjoy it. (I enjoyed this bit.) I get it: “Stephen Colbert” is a character that Stephen Colbert plays. “Stephen Colbert” is a self-absorbed, conservative pundit who regularly says politically-incorrect things in a smug cluelessness as to how offensive they might be. Earlier in the episode, with his characteristic cultural insensitivity, he called Belgians “waffle-eating mayo dippers,” and no one expects that Belgians will get up in arms.

I get it. They’re two guys. You don’t blame Carroll O’Connor for the things Archie Bunker says. And the fact that, in the case of Stephen Colbert/”Stephen Colbert,” the actor and the character share the same name is just part of the fun.

For all that, Stephen Colbert is not, I think, entirely off the hook for all of the offensive material in the segment. Supoorters of Colbert are, I concede, correct about one thing. The material that prompted the outrage, the tweeted phrase “Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever” is, in the full context of the satire, in the voice of “Stephen Colbert.” And therefore anyone who gets how the Colbert Show operates knows to take this as an example of the kind of thing a bigoted person says, not a bigoted statement in its own right. The over-the-top cluelessness of “Orientals” and “Or Whatever” make it a self-advertising case of parody.

The rage hashtag campagain is therefore easily answered. Too easily answered, in fact, I think, with a knee-jerk reply that supporters of Colbert have grown accustomed, rightly, to providing to those who miss the joke: it’s not Colbert, it’s “Colbert”; it’s not an offensive comment; it’s an example of what an offensive comment sounds like in the kind of people who make the. Ho hum. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Because that charge is so easily answered, though, it has kept people from realizing the complexity of both the satire and the offensiveness in this bit. Asian Americans aren’t wrong to be offended; it’s just that the initial campaign picked up on the wrong thing to be offended about. And even supporters of Colbert should take the time to appreciate how much more daring than usual this particular instance of his characteristic mode of humor is.

For Colbert’s joke to work, he had to start by deliberately offending people of a particular ethnicity. This is not “Colbert’s” “waffle-eating mayo dippers.” Ching-Chong Ding-Dong is something that the real live Stephen Colbert had been taken to task for by Asian Media Watch, and that he has used sparingly if at all since that 2005 episode. Stephen Colbert knows that Ching-Chong Ding-Dong crosses the line. Why would that be, when “Stehpen Colbert” can say so many offensive, politically incorrect things and no one bats an eye?
Because it involves direct mimicry, against which even people who allow good-natured multicultural ribbing tend to draw a line.

Now that mimicry was, in Wednesday’s bit, very carefully framed as something done years ago on the show. But it was acknowledged as something actually offensive. That Colbert knows that it is actually offensive was signaled in part by “Colbert” quickly and defensively labeling it “not” offensive; he’s the guy who’s always got these things wrong, right? Appreciate Colbert’s daring, here: he resurrected a bit that he knows actually offends Asian Americans, so that “Colbert” could then offer an olive branch as lame as Snyder’s to Native Americans. Thus parodying Snyder. We know how the whole thing works. But the whole thing doesn’t generally involve knowingly committing an actual offense. That’s the bold stroke in this case.

But that also means that Ching-Chong Ding-Dong can rightly be regarded as offensive to Asian Americans, with an offensiveness not entirely recuperated by the satirical context. And for several reasons. First, the mimicry has no equivalent in the Snyder situation being satirized. Redskins = Ching-Chong. Check. Original Americans Foundation = Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals. Check. But what is Snyder’s equivalent of the whole Ching-Chong mockery? Has Snyder gone around slapping his open mouth saying Woo woo woo woo, as the stereotypical Native American (actually Indian, or Redskin, would be the right word here) does? No. Colbert’s mimicry has no equivalent in the offensive situation he is satirizing.

I say Colbert’s mimicry, not “Colbert’s.” Because that’s the other unsettling thing here. Who voices Ching-Chong Ding-Dong? “Colbert”? Voices the mascot for his own show? I don’t think so. I think Ching-Chong Ding-Dong is another character voiced by Stephen Colbert. This is subjective, but I at least get a sense that Stephen Colbert takes immense pleasure, a kind of childish glee, in delivering this imitation of a horny Chinaman he’s worked up (and clearly practiced).

Does that make him a racist, and we should call for the cancellation of his show? For myself, I don’t think so, and as a fan, I’d be sad to see the show go. Does it make him as capable of being as ethnically ignorant and insensitive as any of the rest of us. I think that could safely be acknowledged even by ardent fans.

Ah, so your point is its not offensive because its a joke? I saw the movie. I got the joke. I get the satirical aspect. It's still offensive. And it was intended to be offensive. That is the whole point of the character, and indeed the movie, to be offensive in a satirical way. Satire is often offensive, as is humor in general.

When I saw that movie and heard that this was pretty much the only depiction of blackface that's "okay", I had to think about it. I admit that for the first little while I didn't really get the distinction either.

"Geez, American racism rules are complicated"

I'm not even sure what this thread is about any more. I thought we were talking about the stereotyping of Asians, but I guess now we're talking about affirmative action for black college applicants? It's all going right over my head.

Putting a less qualified person into a medical or law school is a rotten idea.
Oh and before I forget, this is another canard that you have raised multiple times but I have ignored it to focus on other canards you were dropping. So now let's tackle this one...

I address the misconception that you (and apparently other Asians) seem to have in this "race relations" thread and in particular this post and the posts around it. Again, this "qualified Asians are being denied admissions in favor of unqualified Blacks" is just another form of the "Asians have less opportunity" prong of the 3-prong Asian-superiority ideology that I outline in this post #496.

The misconceptions vs. reality:

1. Black quotas deny Asians admissions - The reality is that racial quotas are illegal and have been since the SCOTUS declared them so back in 1978. Of course that reality creates cognitive dissonance for Asians who are emotionally committed to the idea that there is some conspiracy to advance Blacks at the expense of Asians.

2. Affirmative action is only for the benefit of Blacks -This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the college admissions process and how affirmative action is applied. In University Admissions all minorities are treated the same. Minority status is treated as a +1 factor among many factors that go into the decision to admit a candidate.

3. The most important/only truly relevant factor in admissions decisions are standardized test scores (SAT/LSAT/MCAT) and GPA -This is the most important misconception, and it has developed based on self-serving perceptions. You can easily see why Asians who embrace the idea that Asians should/do focus on getting higher test scores and GPA at the exclusion or detriment of everything else would cling to the idea that the very things that they have decided to focus on are, in-fact the most important factors in college admissions. Its a completely self serving ideology.

However, they are wrong. Grades and GPA are not the most important factors in admissions. They are not even second or third in the calculation. The single most important factor in admission by far is legacy (ie having a parent/grandparent/relative alumnus). In fact legacy can increase your odds of admission by 40% 50% 60% and more depending on how many parents/relatives attended.

There are many, many factors that go into admissions decisions and they include evaluations about whether the applicant will fit in, will contrubute to the atmoshpere and culture richness of the school, whether they will make a good Laywer, doctor etc, whether they are a good person, well rounded, interesting, are a good fit for the University on and on and on...The belief that GPA and SAT scores are the most important, or the only relevant factors is just as flawed as an NFL hopeful thinking that he is the "most qualified" because he has the fastest 40 time and highest bench press. Of course he would wish that was so, if all he focused on was 40 speed and bench press in his training... But him wanting it to be so does not make it so.

So to sum it up... There are no quotas, Affirmative action is applied equally to Asians, and having the highest GPA/test scores do not make you "the most qualified" for college admission. Colleges, especially the top rated private-institutions make their own determinations about who is "qualified" and are not bound by your narrow self-serving definitions of being qualified.

Cue the cognitive dissonance...

I'm not even sure what this thread is about any more. I thought we were talking about the stereotyping of Asians
Yeah we are, but as I pointed out in this post #157 people invoke comparisons to African Americans whenever they think it suits their argument, but then when their claims get debunked they try to fall back on "Why are we talking about Blacks? I thought we were supposed to talk about Asians?" as a way of avoiding the fact that they are wrong.

In any case, I have been and remain on point. I always try to make the relevance of my comment clear in the first and/or last sentence of the comment. So here they are (for my last 2 comments):

Stereotypes/caricatures etc can be harmful and beneficial in many ways, and Asians are not the worst (or only) recipients of stereotypical or offensive humor. That remains my point.

So to sum it up... There are no quotas, Affirmative action is applied equally to Asians, and having the highest GPA/test scores do not make you "the most qualified" for college admission. Colleges, especially the top rated private-institutions make their own determinations about who is "qualified" and are not bound by your narrow self-serving definitions of being qualified.
So the relevance to Asians should be clear. I have stayed on-topic.

Top Bottom