1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Belgian (non)-separatist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Fuzzz, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Fuzzz

Fuzzz you

Hello all,
    as you might have read in the other Belgian thread, there's are some political issues going on in Belgium right now. There are people who want to see our country as two nations/states and people who want to keep it together.
    I wanted to start a thread where I could answer your questions about these topic, but I didn't just want to give my non-separatist view. I know Philippe is a Belgian who wants Belgium to split into two separate parts and he has agreed to answer as well, so you can ask him questions as well if you want to know something about that. I want Belgium to remain as one nation.
    This is probably the first ask a.. thread with two people answering, but it will give you two opinions. Anyway, hope you will be better informed now.

Ps: We have approvement from a moderator to do this.

2. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

If Belgium was to split, would many people want two independent staes to emerge, or one or both to join Holland or France?

3. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

lol Flemish don't want to join the Netherlands LOL

4. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

An understandable mistake many foreigners make, and something i pointed out already: same language is not same culture.
    I think that none of our communities has the intention to ever join another country; there are people who want this, but they are not with many.

I hope this answered your question :)

5. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

OK, so two independent states then. what would they be called? Would they be monarchies?

thank, thats pretty conclusively did answer me ;-)

6. philippe

In hypothesis i guess Flanders would become a republic. The Republic of Flanders with as flag a yellow field with a black lion on it.
    For the Walloons i guess they would go for a republic too or very maybe "out of pity" they take over the monarchy ;).
    A name for the republic; hard to guess, maybe: "the people's republic of Wallonia" :lol:
    Their flag would be a red flag with a cock on it :).
    I hope this has answered your question yet again :).

7. Izipo

Izipo Hardcore casual gamer

Hi neighbors,
    Seriously, whats taking you so long to fix the situation ? I understand there are some issues, but honestly it doesn't get talked about much in the news, so my understanding of the situation is very poor at the moment.
    Care to summarize what exactly is the situation ? (As I understand it, you don't have a working government atm because nobody wants to step in).

8. sirdanilot

sirdanilot BBcode owns in sigs!

What would happen with the german community in the east if belgium splits up? Will it be part of the 'people's republic of wallonia'?

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That sounds very communist.

And that sounds very obscene ;)

10. philippe

About the german community: This subject is a difficult one: I think it's either part of wallonia but then with a seprate goverment for "gemeenschappen (parts of goverment branches related to persons" or as very mini-state;
    A return to Germany would seem logical but in a poll done in the german part (which only contains 70 000 persons) only 4 % would want to go back to germany.

I hope this answers the questions thus far.
    As far is the current state of crisis i think there's already a wiki article
    (will search it up later)

i hope this answer helped :).

11. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Do you have some polls saying
    - How many Flemish want independant?
    - How many Flemish want to join Netherlands?
    - How many Flemish want to remain one country?
    - How many Walloons want independant?
    - How many Walloons want to join France?
    - How many Walloons want to remain one country?

You can also tell us how many Flemish want to join France, and how many Walloons want to join Netherlands, but I guess the figure could be quite low

12. Pannonius

Pannonius Reconquistador

Why is cock obscene? We're obviously talking about an animal here, this reminds me of all that ". .. .. .. .. ." nonsense. You can't use a name for a female dog anymore because some jerks use it as a insult!

Moderator Action: Spam and use of language through autocensor.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

13. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Yes, I don't see either what is obscene with a gun hammer?

14. sirdanilot

sirdanilot BBcode owns in sigs!

That would be a bit weird if you see the map of the german community.

Or would they then have two mini states: Federal Republic of South German Community and People's republic of North German Community? :crazyeye:

15. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

What do you think about Vlaams Belang in general, and how is it affecting this crisis?

16. philippe

Ok i'll give you the results of some polls :).
    I got an rather recent one for the dutch among us:
    http://www.hln.be/hlns/cache/det/art_606290.html

but for your specific answers Steph:
    Ask Fizzz :p ;) or
    Spoiler :
    until i find the results of a very recent poll

Well this is my opinion not Fizzz's: I think the Vlaams Belang is Extreme-right, has Fascist tendencies but is needed in society so that a number of people feel represented.
    Unfortunaly due to the crisis to the VU (volksUnie) there were for a while the only "Flemmish nationalistic" party. I believe they have tainted the face of Flemmish Nationalism and made it look like an issue exclusively for (extreme-)right. I guess they always will get a number of votes, but fortunaly they will never govern, not even in a independent Flanders :).
    It does tastes bitter that they claim to be the great defenders of Flanders, and their "influence" only makes negotiations harder for nationalists with common sense like Bart De Wever from NVA (Who is allied with Yvez-Leterme the big winner of the elections and soon to be prime minister)
    I hope that answered your question Dutchfire

17. EconomistBR

EconomistBR King

As nationalism dies what is happening to Belgium will happen to the rest of Europe in the future.

In 200 years, European country's will split and return to nation states. Belgium, Yugoslavia Czechoslovakia are just the beginning of this trend.

18. Fuzzz

Fuzzz you

There are some people who are for this type of separatism. There is even a Flemish far right movement who wants nothing else but to join Holland I think it's called "voorpost"

I don't know what they would be called. I hope it won't happen, but probably just Vlaanderen and La Wallonie. They would both probably not be monarchies, becuse the only reason our monarchy is still alive is because it's one of the reasons it keeps our country together.

We indeed don't have a working government at the moment, but the previous one is still doing its job (though our former prime minister has resigned after the defeat he suffered from the elections). Until we have a new government, the old one will still function as before.
    the reason it takes so long to form a new government is because the new government wants to make decisions about new levels of splitting our country up. This doesn't mean that our country will be split up completely, but there will will be new laws in bilingual parts for example.

I have no idea, There are no real talks of splitting Belgium up, but most probably it would become a part of Wallonia.

Most people don't want Flanders independant, though more and more people want Flanders independant. The people who want Flanders independant is growing though. People in Wallonia are far less separatist then the Flemish people. The number of Flemish/Walloon people who want to join Holland/France is very low.

I don't want to use words that are not allowed on CFC.

19. Evil Tyrant

Evil Tyrant Eccentric Dictator

Which ethnic group are you from, and what convinces you to side with united Belgium as opposed to split Belgium?

20. Eniotna

Eniotna Warlord

May I answer? too? :p

The percentage of separatists in Flanders vary from 15% to 45% from poll to poll. The most recent polls have the highest percentages though. The number of separatists in Wallonia varies from 10% to 20%.
    There are no polls about whether Flanders/Wallonia would join Holland/France but these are options we never talk about in Belgium. There is no "orangist"(pro-joining the Netherlands) movement in Flanders, athough there are a few people who like the idea. There is a "rattachiste" party in Wallonia, but it can hardly score more than 1% at the elections. But these are dying ideas who were more popular in the past.

About the German community, it can also join Luxemburg, which could be good not only for the French-speaking minority, but also for the Letzebuergesch-speaking people from Sankt-Vith.