Ask a Belgian (non)-separatist

:agree: I don't think something that silly will happen, but then again, this is Belgium we're talking about :crazyeye:

I just think that Brussels should be expanded to include these small communities aswell. There's no point in pretending they are flemish communities while everyone is speaking french, just because of political correctness.
This hasn't got anything to do with political correctness. Like in any other part of the world, borders have been set at a certain moment in the past. Arbitrarly as they may seem (look for example at those straight lines in Africa), they are there to stay. And no country in the world is happy to give away a piece of its territory. The principle of territoriality is very important for any society, so also for Flanders.This is one issue were no compromise is possible and that's why this symbolic action was so provocative. Besides, Wallonia asking for a territorial link between Brussels and Wallonia is another proof of the importance of territoriality.

I'm all for a solution that gives, for example, the four communities with "faciliteiten" to Brussels, in exchange for setting the border between the regions clear once and for all.

Originally Posted by holy king
i'm all for seperation now, just because i want to see that!
The flag of Wallonia is yellow with a red rooster. The rooster lifts one of its legs, and faces the hoist. It shows the kinship of the Walloons to the French (Gallic) rooster, which is singing, head up and beak open.
In Wallonia, the flag is nicknamed le coq hardi (the bold rooster).
Initially, the flag should have been decorated with a cravate of the Belgian colours, with the dates 1830 and 1912. This was intended to show that the Walloon Movement was not anti-Belgian. The cravate rapidly disappeared.

gonna correct myself

not particularly a topic that stands a bit of humour, huh?

I'm all for a solution that gives, for example, the four communities with "faciliteiten" to Brussels, in exchange for setting the border between the regions clear once and for all.

i personally think that the whole country should give facilities to each citizens language :crazyeye:
But since no-one likes that, it's best to keep what we have.
Respect the laws of the territory you are in, or aq we call it "respect". :)

i personally think that the whole country should give facilities to each citizens language :crazyeye:
But since no-one likes that, it's best to keep what we have.
Respect the laws of the territory you are in, or aqswe call it "respect". :)

I'm Belgian, flemish, and don't want to split up. But that doesn't mean that Flanders should do everything Wallonia wants, like right now I think the problems are mainly caused by our french speaking brothers.

However, I can't deny that the flemish flag does look ALOT cooler than the Belgian one:

vs

I'm still curious for the answer to my question I posted earlier.
And can you please tell me what the real problem is between Flemish and Wallons ??
It can't be just economic, it can't be just language, it can't be just historic shifts - there must be a different reason. Is it that you don't feel like you are of the same peoples (Dutch: voelen jullie je niet als 1 volk) ?

No i don't feel as one person with the wallons in general, although it is tempting to support the "Belgian" persons in sport even though Wallon. Actually I have nothing against Wallonians, beautifull places, good relaxed people but I'll probably always stay Flemmish first.
But i guess it's the psychological warfare from the politics from the Wallons is what crosses the line.

a council member is charged with bribery: sacked and prosecuted.
A Wallon defense minister misused 161 million € and an airbus, and that is no problem... :crazyeyes:

I'm still curious for the answer to my question I posted earlier.
The answer is in your question.

- language
- culture and mentality
- history

We used to be one people with more or less the same language, but history has divided the Flemish from the Wallons, in the same way it has split the Belgians from the Dutch. There is nothing more to it. Sometimes we feel like one people (for example sports), sometimes we don't.

Who stills believes we will have a government before Christmas?

as belgian what do you think about african/middle eastern immigrants?
Tastes deliciuos with white wine. :)

No, i havbe no prob with them but there are at times so "many" unintegrated unskilled persons, i have no other option then to say that our immigration policy failed to create opportunities

as belgian what do you think about african/middle eastern immigrants?
I have no problems with them. I lived in a multicutural neighbourhood for years. I've had some minor difficulties with some people, but I had also sometimes difficulties with Belgians or immigrants of other parts of the world. It was a cosy neighbourhood. :)

Like Philippe says, there is a problem with our integration policy. I'm not blind to the immigration problems in our country.

Tastes deliciuos with white wine. :)

No, i havbe no prob with them but there are at times so "many" unintegrated unskilled persons, i have no other option then to say that our immigration policy failed to create opportunities

you "failed" only with them or does the little italian comunity give problems too?

you "failed" only with them or does the little italian comunity give problems too?
No, the Italian community has been here for a longer time and due to our more or less common European background, the integration went much smoother. There is also the influence of ghetto's. The Italians spread out over the country, while other groups are stuck together in the big cities;

What about Dyab Abou Jahjah? Does he still play a role in Belgium politics?
Nope, he went to fight the Israeli's in Lebanon, came back, and went again to stay for good. Good riddance...

Top Bottom