1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Catholic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civ_king, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

As closely as I can, but that's because it fascinates me. Ofcourse, conclaves never happen on a day's notice, so I suspect that most people just catch up on who is a favored candidate during the sedevacante.
    No, since we are praying for their intercession, and not worshiping them as we worship God.
    I'm probably totally wrong about this but angels and archangels are usually God's messengers to mankind (ex. the Annunciation).
    I don't think that there's one definite hierarchy. I know that Aquinas put together a hierarchy of angels from the New Testament, and I think that St. Gregory the Great formulated another. I'm quite sure that there are others, but I don't know who created them.
    Probably Te Deum Laudamus
    Of course, the Pope will always be necessary and terribly important in the Church. I tend to find that Catholics who treat the Pope as nothing more than a traditional figurehead are also ignoring most of the Church's other teachings. Out of Catholics who love their whole faith, devotion and obedience to the Pope usually ranks as pretty important.

2. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Those are some good questions.

1.Dan Brown is a fiction writer. Hardly anything in his books are historical fact.

2. I myself don't really follow the "politics" to closely. If there is an election, they have a list of candidates for all to see.

3. There is nothing wrong with praying to the saints. After all they are in Heaven with God so they can intercede for you. There is a lot more info here.

4. The Jews did have many lapses where the worshiped pagan gods. It's all over the Old Testament.

5. Everyone has a Guardian Angel to help you spiritually.

6. Yes, they do have free-will. At the beginning when they were created, they were given a trial. Unfortunately some rebelled against God and there were cast into hell. That were the devil and demons came from.

7. It's more or less like a military rank I think. I'm not really sure about that one.

8. There isn't any proof that Adam and Eve were related. So incest is impossible.

8. I'm not sure about Dante's vision, but it's not a nice place. The reason being is because it is the place of ultimate despair because you permanently cut your-self off from God.

On the Pope as a figurehead, RoboPig answered it well. Despite what some less devout Catholics say, he is taken very seriously.

Now the Catholics aren't Christian is such a silly argument. Is there anything specific that might cause you to think that makes the Catholics unchristian?

Dang, that took 30 minutes.:D

3. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

miserere mei deus is fantastic

Wait, you mean Chick tracts is satire? :sad:

If I cared about sermons I would go to an OF Mass and not a EF Mass

Yes, the Pope actually does stuff and the papacy is how we can trace our lineage to the Apostles

Fall over laughing, sometimes literally.

Dan Brown is a pro at pulling stuff out of him rectum and his work is about as good as stuff that comes out of the rectum.

Church politics doesn't work like that, Pope Benedict XVI prayed that he wouldn't be elected, IIRC Blessed Pope John Paul II was elected because they were deadlocked. It is unpredictable who will be the next pope.

Eh? saints and the Virgin Mary are not worshipped

The Hebrews were idolaters at the time. Saints are not gods, "First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. This is good, and pleasing to God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Tim. 2:1–4). Clearly intercessory prayers offered by Christians on behalf of others is something "good and pleasing to God."
    Paul asks for people to pray for him in Rom. 15:30–32, Eph. 6:18–20, Col. 4:3, 1 Thess. 5:25, 2 Thess. 3:1 so obviously asking others to pray for us isn't wrong.

I've never really looked into angels

Dante had no special knowledge of Heaven or Hell, but he wrote some good books.

Adam and Eve are the progenitors of humanity, they are the dividing line between us and the predecessors of humans.

4. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

Not necessarily, but I do think there is an argument to be made that the Catholic Faith is different than the Protestant Faith in important respects. Catholicism supports Faith + Works for Salvation, or at least, a lot of Catholics do. That's a dangerous road. I think as long as they get the "Faith" part right, they can still be saved even if they add "Works" even though I definitely think its a dangerous thing to do.

I'm willing to discuss this further, but not in this thread. Make a new thread, post on my wall, or shoot me a PM if you want to discuss further (I'd recommend against posting on my wall if you'd like to go in depth however, as character-limits are VERY constraining in VMs.)

I do have a relevant question though, do Catholics believe Hell is a literal fire, with brimstone and literal torture? And is there a dogma on this, or is it a matter of personal interpretation? I personally believe that it makes more sense for the "Fire" to be figurative of living without God, and I justify it by saying God cannot live in the presence of sin. I do still wonder why God could not simply annihilate them, but I have little doubt that a literal fire is a VERY primitive form of punishment, and I have little doubt that its a word picture or metaphor of sorts (The soul burns for a longing to not be eternally separated from God, or something like that.)

5. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

@Civ_King or any other Catholics who accept the Evolutionary system of biology- At what point were Human Predecessors "Human" enough to be held responsible for their right and wrong, and be able to reach Heaven or Hell. Were Adam and Eve the first ones, or not? If not, where do you think humans first got a soul?

6. civ_king

Adam and Eve were the first "humans" because they were the first with "human" souls,

7. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

Were the Neanderthals not human then?

Also, how do you explain how each animal was "Created according to his kind." I ask because I heard this brought up recently, and I'm curious how Evolutionist Christians explain this.

8. civ_king

I have no idea when Adam and Eve lived, Neanderthals might have been human, might not.

Genesis is not literal.

Glad to see you again RoboPig

9. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

I would doubt that there is an authoritative declaration on this, since I've seen a variety of opinions amongst Catholic writers. I personally don't believe in a literal fire, and take it to mean "unbelievably horrific suffering that you will always regret having gotten into".
    At a somewhat more practical level, when battling against temptation for instance, I tend to imagine the punishment for those who sin out of anger towards God and violence towards the rest of his Creation suffering in flames, while those who sinned by ignoring God in their lives suffering in some cold, windswept place without any warmth of comfort.

Hello civ_king! Happy Easter!

10. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

OK. It definitely seems like they were, based on what Evolutionists believe about them. Of course, they were actually just people with arthritis;)

Wait, so Catholics think we are saved by not sinning?

I thought Catholics believed you were saved by joining their church (Though according to some, it is possible to be saved outside the Church. Civ_King contradicted himself on this. I am unsure of what Catholics actually believe.)

11. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

If you die without repenting your mortal sins, you cannot be saved. That said, you should obviously strive to avoid sin at every turn so that you can love God fully, which is what I was getting at in my post. I don't think that most Christians dispute this, no? Maybe they do. All I was trying to say is that those are the images of Hell that I use to struggle against sin in my spiritual life.

As for salvation, Extra ecclesiam nulla salus is upheld, but Pius IX said that those who have not heard the Gospel through no fault of their own will not necessarily be damned.

12. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

Can you explain the Latin in that post please? Also, do you consider the "Gospel" to be specifically the Catholic doctrine, or simply Christianity?

What if you commit a mortal sin, and wish to repent, but cannot reach a priest?

I don't know of any Christians who dispute that. I do not agree with the mortal sin comment though, especially since I only believe there is one mortal sin, and "Repenting" of it cannot save you.

13. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus=Outside the church, no salvation.

14. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

Doesn't that contradict just about everything you have said in this thread? Can you explain what the Catholic doctrine on this is?

15. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

Essentially that turning your back on the Church will deny you salvation. As I said, there is the exception for invincible ignorance, where those who do not know of Christ are not to be judged for it.

Vatican II's Lumen Gentium phrased it as
    There may be something that I'm missing here with regards to non-Catholic Christians, and maybe one of the other posters knows of another teaching with regards to them.

It should be noted that the Church doesn't damn individuals under a doctrine like Extra ecclessiam nulla salus. As far as I know, she leaves open the possibility that those outside the Church will repent at the moment of their death.

As for failing to confess, if one had a contrite heart and earnestly hoped for and tried to receive the Sacrament of Penance, I doubt it would count against them.

16. civ_king

I'm confused, so people have been wrong since the time of Jesus and the Protestant Reformers miraculously got it right? Damn, I didn't know Protestants thought Jesus was lying that the Gates of Hell will not prevail. Less than a century is a little fast for his church to go seriously astray, thank God the reformers restored us to the true path (warning, heavy sarcasm).

Hell is not a literal place, it is a place where the soul is in eternal agony because they have been cut off from God.

Scientists aren't quite sure if Neanderthals were human or not.

If you die in the state of mortal sin without being reconciled
    Outside the Church there is no salvation, the Bible was compiled by the Catholic Church, take it as you will.

Act of Perfect Contrition

Exactly, this is why I said people who leave the Church except out of ignorance can go to Hell.

PS, RoboPig, is that a picture of Saint Thomas More from a movie?

17. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

Yes, A Man for All Seasons

18. kochman

kochman Chieftain

No it wasn't at all. Why do you insist on distorting history?
    And, don't give me this "the Church" was catholic until the Schism... it's not at all accurate either.

It was compiled by Constantine and a bunch of priests from various differing sects. There was a Bishop of Rome, and he didn't have that much input as far as I know, because Roman Catholics hadn't yet asserted their massive arrogance and demanding to be in charge and that the Bishop of Rome/Pope was "infallible" in interpreting the Word of God (which it has clearly contradicted time and time again).

At this time, Constantine (not yet "baptised" though he was) was the head of Christianity... and I say this, because in the end of the council, he had the final say.

19. civ_king

The Bible was absolutely established by the Council of Carthage in 397 (after it was approved by the See of Rome).

20. kochman

kochman Chieftain

AHHHHHHHHH!!!
    Can you people PLEASE, PLEASE stop using Wikipedia as your source of history?!
    For crying out loud, it is FULL of inaccuracies.

First of all, amongst Christians today (basing the term on the idea that not only Catholics are Christians), there are still certain discrepancies in what books are official in the Holy Bible, sooooo... when we say "The Bible", we should be more specific. That is partially my fault.

Here is a rough timeline... even the book the Catholics use today wasn't really made official until after the Reformation had begun (during which Protestants dropped several chapters).
    http://www.gentles.info/BibleHistory/Index_History.html

But, for all intents and purposes, the guy with the plan to put together a unified teaching was Constantine... based on the whole aryan conflict occuring within the fledgling church.

Some catholics love having their own idea of what is history, and pushing it on others, in the face of facts.
    See my signature line for an example. Or, see Civ King's response above for an example. This is the Catholic version of events.

The truth is, it is way more complex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.