1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Catholic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civ_king, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

It doesn't. Intercesional Prayers are always couple with prayers to the lord.

2. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

I'd say no, since all of three of Them are the same one God.

3. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Apparently Chris Farley remained a practicing Catholic his entire life. Why isn't he a canonical saint yet?

4. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

To be canonized a saint, at least two miracles must have been performed after death.

5. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

How did Mother Teresa become a saint? How did she have time to do miracles after her death? Not to mention from her own writings she seems to have struggled with her faith a number of times, and it seems her charity was dodgey at times with some of the hospitals not really curing anything.

6. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

Mother Teresa has not been canonized, only beatified, so she is Blessed, but not a Saint. Many people have a devotion to her since her death and ask for her intercession, and out of all those prayers there have been quite a few cases where the intercession was clear enough for a claim of miracle to be made, and atleast one case that was documented well enough to be declared a miracle by the Church. I am sure a second one will follow. As for her struggle with faith, I understand that she did not doubt at an intellectual level, but simply didn't feel God's presence anymore, which is quite different. Also, much of her work was providing the sick with a dignified place to die, instead of the gutters and streets. Curing them was not always the goal.

7. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Yes, it is edited, edit: to collect, prepare, and arrange (materials) for publication
    No she did not die before the Assumption

winning!
    not really

intercessory prayers are couple with prayers to God
    Dunno, Mother Teresa isn't a saint, see RoboPig's post

8. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

@Kochman- Let's be clear, a "Dead" spirit did speak once, when Samuel spoke to Saul. However, Saul was reprimanded for trying to talk to a dead person.

"Dead" is talking about Spiritual state, so a "Dead" person can still speak, but once physically dead, I doubt people will come as Spirits to talk to people, with the one exception I provided above.

9. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

So shouldn't you start asking for his intercession to test the waters? I think I'd be more likely to become Catholic if they recognized one of the greatest comedians ever as a saint. I think you could use a good patron saint of comedians.

So how does being a patron saint work? Is it something officially declared by the Vatican, or is it mostly based on general observation that certain Saints happen to be particularly effective intercessors in certain areas?

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

So I presume the prayer to God is somehow implied when I "pray" to a saint, or Virgin Mary? Because that part seems to be omitted often, both in ad-libbed prayers and in ritualized versions like the "Hail Mary".

Speaking of which, what's the point of those endless repetitions of "Hail Mary" and similar rituals? Don't mean to be sarcastic, but to me it always seemed you assume she's either deaf or prone to be persuaded by extreme annoyance.

11. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Come on Catholics! Molestation! SRS BIDNESS!!!

Why will none of you comment? Even my Catholic grandma gave me a (BS) answer.

12. civ_king

Saint Genesius of Rome already has that position

Saint Cyprian of Antioch is what happens when frickin' Lord Voldemort gets religion,
    Saint Barbara is how to get your enemies smitten by frickin' lazerbeams on frickin' sharks lightening sent by God

In some cases it is declared by the Vatican and in other it is a folk thing. Frequently they wind up as patrons of places they were born/lived and/or in professions they were in.

Actual intercessory prayer are connected to prayers to God

The Rosary is a method of meditation, like praying the psalms

13. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

I'll leave that to others. I'm testing the waters with others I've known.
    We already have Saint Genesius of Rome. No word on how funny his stand up was. On the one hand he put to stop a comedy act. On the other hand, it was a comedy act about baptism, so I can't imagine it was all that funny.

It's generally unofficial, and related to the stories of the saints lives, and generally changes with the times. We have a patron saint of the internet, even though he lived in the sixth century. However, he put together what was, at the time, the largest single compendium of human knowledge.

14. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

So I wasn't the only one who Googled "Patron Saint of Comedians" and read the Cracked article? Anyhow, if this is anything to go by, there can be multiple patrons for a single profession (including comedians), unless Vatican policy will only name one saint per profession and the rest are just folk traditions. I admire Sts. Vitus, Lawrence, and Genesius as much as the next guy, but you have to admit that a hypothetical St. Chris Farley would totally own patronage of comedians:

Link to video.

15. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

It's not implied actually, it's right in there.
    "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen."

They're not necessary, and some people prefer repetitive prayer as a form of meditation.

16. civ_king

Ah yes, Saint Isidore of Seville, Patron Saint of Wikipedia, perhaps he can stop the internet from being a hive of villainy and scumbaggery.

17. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

He'd have to convert you guys to Protestantism:mischief:

18. civ_king

:confused: huh?

19. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

Partially because it's been asked, and asked, and asked.

20. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

You said:

I said (As a joke)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.