Ask A Catholic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not implied actually, it's right in there.
"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen."
Okay, point taken.

I'm still not thoroughly satisfied about the point of it all. Excuse my probably inappropriate terming, but can you actually "get more out of the deal" with intercession compared to directly praying to God? If so, how? If not, what's the point?

They're not necessary, and some people prefer repetitive prayer as a form of meditation.
This I can understand. There just two different instances where the circumstances look odd to me:

1. As a ritual in larger groups. I don't attend Catholic masses, so I don't know how commonplace it is, but I've witnessed (and to be frank, endured) it during funerals. Should I take it as a kind of collective meditation?
2. Okay, that one is only hearsay but I'm talking about the priest telling you to "pray [seemingly arbitrary number] of rosaries and you're free from sin / your sins are forgiven". Before I go on rambling about this one, could you please confirm if this actually happens?

Okay, point taken.

I'm still not thoroughly satisfied about the point of it all. Excuse my probably inappropriate terming, but can you actually "get more out of the deal" with intercession compared to directly praying to God? If so, how? If not, what's the point?

This I can understand. There just two different instances where the circumstances look odd to me:

1. As a ritual in larger groups. I don't attend Catholic masses, so I don't know how commonplace it is, but I've witnessed (and to be frank, endured) it during funerals. Should I take it as a kind of collective meditation?
2. Okay, that one is only hearsay but I'm talking about the priest telling you to "pray [seemingly arbitrary number] of rosaries and you're free from sin / your sins are forgiven". Before I go on rambling about this one, could you please confirm if this actually happens?
Saints are better at getting God to help you than you yourself are.

1) Praying the rosary at funerals? Dunno I've never actually been to Catholic funeral since my family enjoys excellent health (I have been to a funeral, but it was of a Catholic man whose wife held a Protestant service even though he wanted a Catholic one...)

2) The whole pray x, x times is about growing spiritually so one doesn't commit sin again.
And Catholics:mischief:

Nah, probably more atheists than Catholics, have you looked at Europe or East Asia recently?

Saints are better at getting God to help you than you yourself are.

Are you serious? Is God going to go "Oh, my child is in trouble, oh whatever, I'll wait for him to ask Mary, than Mary can ask me and THEN I'll help him."

Nah, probably more atheists than Catholics, have you looked at Europe or East Asia recently?

You're taking me far too seriously. Yes, no doubt there are more Atheists than Catholics on this particular site anyway.

In general, Atheists are only a very small subset of people, and most of them are Westerners.

Are you serious? Is God going to go "Oh, my child is in trouble, oh whatever, I'll wait for him to ask Mary, than Mary can ask me and THEN I'll help him."

You're taking me far too seriously. Yes, no doubt there are more Atheists than Catholics on this particular site anyway.

In general, Atheists are only a very small subset of people, and most of them are Westerners.

No, they are already in Heaven. It is basically calling someone asking for help vs asking one of their friends to persuade them.

A lot of Europeans have internet, also most Japanese have internet.

No, they are already in Heaven. It is basically calling someone asking for help vs asking one of their friends to persuade them.

Why does God need "Persuasion?" Doesn't he already know what he's going to do?

A lot of Europeans have internet, also most Japanese have internet.

There might be some exceptions, but most Japanese aren't atheists. Hardly monotheist, but not Atheist either. They are Buddhist and other Eastern Religions mostly.

Europe, atheists are common, but still less than 50%.

Why does God need "Persuasion?" Doesn't he already know what he's going to do?

There might be some exceptions, but most Japanese aren't atheists. Hardly monotheist, but not Atheist either. They are Buddhist and other Eastern Religions mostly.

Europe, atheists are common, but still less than 50%.

France for example is "51% Christian," but only 52% of declared Christians believe that the existence of God is "certain or possible." The statistics lie.

In census questionnaires (for Japan), less than 15 percent reported any formal religious affiliation by 2000, IIRC 15% is less than most.

Belief in God

Wait, belief in God is more in Turkey than Italy?

I do question that statistic a bit. From what I've heard about Italy, nearly everyone is Catholic.

And moreover, doesn't He care more than that to need to be talked into helping His followers?

Exactly.

Wait, belief in God is more in Turkey than Italy?

I do question that statistic a bit. From what I've heard about Italy, nearly everyone is Catholic.

Exactly.

It is correct, there are "Catholics" in Italy who don't believe in God, and the amount of Catholics is steadily declining.

Well, can I be linked to where its been answered then?

Surely if its been asked so many times there are preloaded counter arguments ready to go?
Try asking a serious question. The way you asked it sounds like you are trolling us.

Try asking a serious question. The way you asked it sounds like you are trolling us.

I'm serious, why does God allow allow his Church to facilitate child molestation and protect offenders?

And, if you view this as an issue related to the evil of men's free will, should restrictions be brought onto the organization to make sure this never happens and if not, why?

@Communisto- I'm not even Catholic, but c'mon! That question is ridiculous!

Why?

There are many, many examples of the Church moving child molesters around to avoid detection. This is, imo, the only real, tangible thing that the Catholic church does. Everything else is personal, spiritual fulfillment or whatever you want to call it. Too many Priests molest kids, in record numbers, and have been doing so for probably hundreds of years. It is only now that we are beginning to find out about it and it must not be ignored by Catholics.

I mean really, if this were occurring at Home Depots across North America, I'm sure if you were a customer of HD, youd have more to say about it. But because its a Church its a non-issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom