1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Marine

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bronx Warlord, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

BW--A friend of mine has a son who's joining the marines. On a business trip I met an ex-marine drill sergeant who I mentioned this to.

He gave me a medallion for the "Devil Dogs" in NJ. What's the significance of this? BTW the kid carries it with him everyhwhere.

Can you also talk to me about force recon. I know a CO that was deployed in both Gulf Wars but won't talk about it much.

2. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

"Ask a Marine".

Cool.

Maybe we can get some answers too ?

3. koondrad

koondrad Prince

It's a new thread! Cool your engines.:old:

4. Bronx Warlord

Bronx Warlord Squad Leader

I don't know any personally... I am sure sooner or later it's happened. I really don't care so much, being secure and all.

No left hand for contact, don't show women attention, don't ask males questions about female relatives ( duh on the second part ), Don't withdraw if a man greets you with a hug or kiss, it's a common greeting among friends, point with your entire hand, when speaking to an iraqi male give him your full, respectful attention, NO SOLES OF YOUR FEET, Don't give a thumbs up, don't comment on their possesions too much and above all else in my book

It's someones country, treat it with respect and dignity.

Well your going to work out of some sort of military instialliation at all times. The chances of you staying in one place for more than four years? unlikely. You can also ask to transfer when you " re-up "

Well the Army has Medics, we have Corpsmen from the Navy. You would have to join the navy to be a " medic " for Marines. Sniper you are often offered, you can request it and get in line as well. Recon I think you can join with an intent to try out in your contract. I would reccomend going into the Infantry if you wanted to try that kind of work. Get a few years experance before making that choice, I think both add a few years to your contract too due to all the training time. Ask a recruiter :)

Depends on the agreement between the USA and te Nation we are in. In a full out, declared war, no. In Iraq, no. Though if you look into it the UCMJ is pretty hardcore. Google it : )

Good question. In the example you asked for I would say it depends. If said leader and his buddies are spraying automatic gunfire and such from the house then they have to be delt with. If for some reason it's a stand off, I don't think I know any officer that would not allow unarmed civilians to surrendor to US coustody. Now the second part... that comes down to trust. I have to trust my fellow Marines in judgement. If I am told to engage, I expect it to be a lawful order and under the UCMJ unless I strongly feel it's unlawful I am expect to carry it out, to the best of my ability.

Depends on the ship though from what I have seen and heard it's often 6-12 months with a decent amount of port calls. Never been on one, my entire time in :lol: You have to go to a school before you can go to sea also

A friend that lived down the street from me, shattered his leg in a really, really bad accident at the island.

Corporal, a junior Non Comissioned Officer, it is a leadship position and I am in charge of a fireteam or squad depending on the situation or mission.

I have been in for just over five years

I joined to serve my country, as I said I felt and still feel it's an extremely honorable thing to do and not seen so much in todays world. What brought me to the Corps was the fact they diden't say " Oh we have colleage money " or " You can see the world " though both are benifits. They told me " You can earn the title of United States Marine. " That really sold me more than anything.

5. Bronx Warlord

It all depends really. I've had reactions from one guy comming up to me and saysing " Michael Moore is a ***** " to some lady throwing dog poop at me. Depends on the area really... if they think they are going to get killed for talking to you then obviously they won't. If they can snitch someone out and get away with it they will. Sometimes they are friendly, sometimes not.

I was full off anger at first, in afganistan I would show any captured fighters I could a small picture I kept of a little boy named Bernard Curtis Brown. I would show them the picture and say " Mr.Brown sends his regards " with a bit of gangster stare. Bernard Curtis Brown was a little boy, 11 years old and one of the passangers on flight 77. I diden't know him, part of me felt like I wanted to let the enemy know who I was settleing the score for.

I got to Iraq and... it was diffrent. I looked at the place and people trying to change it for the better. I saw basicly thugs doing horrible things, looting, disorder. Part of me felt responsible for it all, part of me felt pity, another part rage. I had a lot of mixed feelings and I had a long talk with a very senior NCO, it really made me think about things.

I also saw a film called " Gunner Palace " some time later. A scene in it sticks out in my mind to this day.

Some Soldiers raided a house, they have the occupants outside and flexcuffed. They are yelling about something the Soldiers do not understand. The Soldiers yell " Shut Up " and the Iraqi goes, in broken english " I know shut up " and does so.

It pointed out to me that at that moment, he felt like he traded Saddam for another thug. It really made me think. I then took a class, held by a Captain in the USMCR. He's a state trooper in the civilian world. He explained why it's s.o.p for cops and troopers to be extremely polite at all times. I diden't think about it till I watched cops later that night.

Yes, about 99% of them not fit for a family establishment like this :)

Two guys screwing around pulled a fire alarm. In the words of SDI Morgan

" Weeeeeeeeeeeeee gonna play the pain game all night long! "

Lord help us, we did. I pushed to china, I climbed to the top of the mountian, I leg lifted to glory and for a moment, I saw bliss in the bounceing ball.

Oh it better be in your skull and working, that is what makes it so hard. You have to be alert and keep your wits about you while tired, hot or cold, hungry and under stress. They don't yell at you for the hell of it, it's to toughen you up for combat.

The Corps is pretty selective, I could apply yes. There are programs one can enroll in to attend school full time, or if one enlisted with a 4 year.

It's scary as hell. No place I have ever been compairs to it. You spend a day in that country you know it's real life.

Well according to Bob Jahadi I had to kill my sister and my dog to even join. Oh yes I am superhuman and can see in the dark, the Abrams does have a forcefield and we are all without families, bred to be " devil marines "

:goodjob:

" Yeah it's called the Men's Club "

Don't walk away from a disposible camera that your sending home so your family can devolpe the pictures :mischief:

0311 Rifleman, I keep it real ;)

:lol: Is it hot or cold? What does the LT say?

New uniforms you can go long in now without much discomfort in the heat.

240G

Yes though not hardcore, I hope so :) , Yes while " working " or on duty, in my personal time for the most part thought it was worse at one point.

Prehaps it's just not something I want to discuss?

Yes but remember the golden rule... you bring it your carrying it. And yes, depending on your rank and station is who your living arangements will look. It's nothing like basic once you get into a unit.

I did before I got married, I do again now that I am divorced. It's like having a few roomates. I share a decent sided room with another CPL. Saves me a ton of money.

I think it may be a youth group, google it :)

In my experance anyone that says they were was not. Aside from that, google it :)

I'll be nice and say this... typical Recon goes up to 6-10 miles outside of Marine lines. Force Recon goes beyond that. Aside from that I know nothing :mischief:

D.B.A.D

6. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

When in a combat zone, how often were you forced to go without supplies that you thought were necessary?

I ask because at the start of the war, there was a lot of controversy about inadequate armour. At the same time, the Air Force was getting new F-22s and other toys. I wondered if there was ever a resentment towards what might be perceived as misappropriation of funds.

7. mayakovsky

mayakovsky Cosmic Slop

Why was the Marine Corps recruiter I talked to such a moron?

I'm 28 years old with a university degree and he's telling me all the Marines do is get drunk and get laid like I'm some 18 year old punk. (no disrespect intended to the 18 year old punks here) Here I am looking for a career, challenge, duty and he's acting like it's nothing but a big frat house. He really blew it, because I was desperate to get out of the situation I was in. Probably good for me, though.

I wanted to go into intelligence. What do you know about that?

He also never got around to telling me about any kind of Officer School. Did you go through Officer school? If not, do you know much about it?

Really the guy was a moron. He kept calling me "Dog" and telling me how much tail I was going to get.....I left very disapointed.

8. Riesstiu IV

Riesstiu IV Deity

Can recruits be beaten or physically attacked by superior officers as seen in many Vietnam movies? Will recruits carry out any retribution against a soldier that doesn't pull his weight and/or acts like a jack ass?

I've heard the military has gotten much more lax about requirements and punishment since the end of Vietnam. I've even heard stories of allowing pushups while the knees are touching the ground!

As a little extra, the Russian army is notorious for abuse and hazing rituals conducted against conscripts. I just wanted to know your general opinion about Dedovshchina? I've always wanted to ask one of our guys about it. In comparison, our recruitment training seem like paradise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedovshchina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Sychyov

9. Field_Marshal

Field_Marshal Warlord

Do you have to get in shape prior to enlisting or do they whip you into shape in basic?

10. cidknee

cidknee Emperor

ok im no marine, but when i joined the army, i was in good shape, and man did basic kick my butt. So u might want to get in shape, and well it will make basic a lil bit easier

11. Field_Marshal

Field_Marshal Warlord

Im already in shape but im kinda lacking a little knowledge on......how to swim....its kinda embarrassing:(

12. Yeeek

Yeeek Seizing The Day

Have you ever participated in operation with foreign forces, such as Europeans (UK/France/Germany), Aussie/kiwis, Candadian.

Whats your opinion about foreign armies, in this case Europeans.

Since you served in Afghanistan, i'm curious. I've watched some docu about French troops in Afghanistan. Is there some kind of huge camp for all the military personal there? I looked like some kind of city built for military peeps.

13. Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo Emperor

There is one large camp in Southern Afghanistan called Kandahar Airfield. There's a ton of troops there. I forget how many. I do know there are around 2300 Canadian troops there though. There are also American, Dutch, French, Romanian and British troops there. I have seen a few troops from a few other countries there but it only seemed as if they were there as a small group of officers.

@Ram: Soldiers generally don't like talking about who they killed (especially to non-military people). I recomend a few books that may explain this in greater detail for you.

On Combat

and

On Killing

Both are by (Ret.) Lt. Col. Grossman

14. Bronx Warlord

The gear is not bad, at least on my side of the fence. I buy some of my own, going with what feels comfortable and is within regulation. I like a good pair of knuckle gloves, a thicker wieghtlifting kind. I also go with a big butt pack, just for some extra space. Ammo, weapons kits, chow, place to sleep that was comfortable. All of it, never had one problem asking for more. Mabey our H+S Marines were **** hot or GW:2 had that haliburton money, I know not, I do know down to batteries I had all that I and my team needed. Good gear, Bronx tested.

Well... I would like to see some programs to improve current bodyarmor and prehaps a replacement for the " Hummer ". More GPS and better communication devices always, then again that is just be *****ing. The new helmet, with the lighter wieght and diffrent padding and strap is a no-go for me. I bought an older style kevlar and use it. Oh... toss out the M9. A Glock, Browning HP or 1911 is so much better. I found that out in my personal time.

How about we invest in a bit more infantry type Soldiers/Marines... it's the most selective weapon we have. It's also the one that comes home in bags. In a war like Iraq... you need Infantry. Can the US take this gut check, and hit back? Look at the latest slap back at my man Al-Sadr.

Mabey he read you wrong? I'm not sure but hey... you want my advice from your post I'll give it. Get everything you can, you can get school lones paid off... serious ammounts. GI bill for some more schooling. OCS prehaps sure... I say enlist for a few years first. Get a feel for it and go to the island or diego. Do some time in the ranks. Being an Officer has a lot of responsability to it. The Corps also has the smallest officer corps in all the american services.

Intelligance... well, as a rifleman I need to know what location and who. I need heads up on the bad guys and trends, numbers, areas of resistance. I need information to be effective.

We police our own, I do not belive in resorting to violence with my fellow Marines. Fights can and do happen, I say settle it in house. Brotherhood. If your afraid of getting a slap or punch mabey you should think about joing the Corps.

Blood, sweat and tears of joy describe my experance. More blood and sweat. Pain. Being tired, stressed, a bit of fear when handleing weapons for the first time... live ammo. Getting along with a platoon of other Recruits was the worst part of it. Being older, a bit wiser and a bit fatter... I did well, though I will admit ole Bronx had a raceing stripe and was a BMW ( body made wrong )

My advice... when you make the choice to go into the military at all, you better start a PT program.

Get in the water... relax. Hold your arms out like a bird, just at the waterline. Kick your legs and just get comfortable. Take it from that point. Once you can float and get your breathing down it's cake.

Yes

Always camp with the Canadians... they have stoves. I **** you not. Spend a week in the mountians and you'll love anyone witha stove too.

I personally love the Brits. They are a class act and... horrible as it is too say :lol: I feel like I am in a ww2 movie when I talk to them in uniform.

French Soldiers... I will go on record... the guys I met were squared away. Lean and fit, good gear and real sharp.

The French are players in the NATO forces. The USA has a good portion of the 10th mountian and 25th ( light infantry ) in country at most times. The Marine presence is small ( compaired to the army ) yet visibile. Kandahar, Anaconda and a few other places are small cities.

15. Yeeek

Yeeek Seizing The Day

I'll need some help with the term "squared-away" :p

16. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Perfectly arranged or organized. Think of shelving or bad government housing.

17. Solver

Solver Mohawk Games Designer

Have you ever had to use (in combat/while deployed, not during training) any foreign weapons - I mean, weapons not normally used by the USMC?

18. CaptainF

CaptainF The Professional Poster

What would you say is the religious demographic of the marines in your experience?

Whats the best part of the job?

Worst part?

When do you think you will retire?

What weapons do you use?

What countries have you travelled to?

Does it pay well?