Ask a persian.

edit: I asked the mods to permaban me because I was addicted to this site (lol) but any other Persians are welcome to answer questions here.

I am an Iranian-American (at least from my father's side of the family), and I am rightfully proud of my heritage. Persians have accomplished many great things, and have a rich history to be proud of.

It is surprising that Iran is currently an Islam theocracy considering Iranians that live elsewhere are amongst the most secular Muslims (if Muslims at all) in the world, much like Turks.

Feel free to ask anything you like, but please refrain from questions that obviously have absolutely nothing to do with Iran one way or another. For example, "what do you think of the Dallas Cowboys" would not be an appropriate question, that said, they suck.

Also don't ask questions that are obviously flaming me or other Iranians. Questions such as "why are Iranians so backwards" would be an example of such.

Thanks for reading and ask away. :)

Why do you prefer calling yourself Persian over Iranian? Or do you not have a preference? Was just guessing

Are you a Shi'ite muslim? If so, how's that going for you?

Do you consider yourself white?

edit: to answer your question straightfowardly yes I consider myself to be white because my mother is white and my father is persian, and modern persians are at least part white. So I definently have some non-white in me from my fathers side (because other groups intermarried with the original persians) but overall i'm mostly white so I guess that would make me white.

An excellent question to ask. There is actually a fascinating book called 'the history of white people' written by a Princeton Professor that talks about things such as that. The book is not hateful against white people, nor does it suggest that white people are better or worse than anyone else. It's not a racist book, and I suggest you check it out.

As to my personal answer? More or less. I mean, it depends. How do you define white? If you ask some people, they will say "anyone of European descent". Others will tell you otherwise. For example, both the Persians and Indians (not native americans) were, to the best of my knowledge founded by aryan tribes.

These original aryan tribes spoke a language very much related to the language of europeans at the time. Persian is an indo-European language after all. The first Persians were definently white, because they were founded by aryan tribes that came from either Russia, or the Mediterrenian area.

However, modern Iranians are NOT pure original persians by any means. Mongols, Arabs, and possibly other groups intermarried with them.

1) How did/do you feel about the portrayal of Xerxes and the Persians in the movie "300?" Offensive?

2) When you describe yourself, how many adjectives do you use before bringing up "Persian?"

Threads like this (Ask a(n) X...), always imply to me that the thread starter has something to say. So why did you start this thread? Is there something you want to correct about the way other posters talk about Persians? Or did you just start this thread to feel special/unique :D ?

Why do you prefer calling yourself Persian over Iranian? Or do you not have a preference? Was just guessing

Well "Persia" was the golden age of my heritage (from my middle eastern side) and Present day Iran is filled with human rights injustices, poverty, and many other things I"m not exactly proud of. This is not to say that modern day Iranians are not great people. I have met many Iranians, and they seemed to be very pleasant people.

I personally don't really care if people call me Persian or Iranian, but I am more proud of the contributions of the Persian empire than I am Modern day Iran. Does that answer your question?

Are you a Shi'ite muslim? If so, how's that going for you?

I am not a Muslim at all, nor have I ever been one. I am a Christian. I read somewhere that Persians have the highest Islam to Christian convert rate in Western countries. I personally consider that to be a good thing, because it shows how well Persians are integrating into western society. :)

1) How did/do you feel about the portrayal of Xerxes and the Persians in the movie "300?" Offensive?

2) When you describe yourself, how many adjectives do you use before bringing up "Persian?"

Threads like this (Ask a(n) X...), always imply to me that the thread starter has something to say. So why did you start this thread? Is there something you want to correct about the way other posters talk about Persians? Or did you just start this thread to feel special/unique :D ?

1) Here is how I feel about the portrayal of Xerxes and the Persians in the movie "300": I think the portrayed him wrong. Still, I think that Xerxes was a bit of a jerk. I mean, he did some unpersian things to the greeks that would have made Cyrus cry. The way I look at it, what Xerxes was to the Persians, was what Hitler was to the Germans. The country of Germany has done many positive things, particularly in recent years to improve the world. They have made many contributions to our society. However, they get stuck with a nazi stereotype just because of a short part of their history.

With the Persians, it's the same way. One jerk comes along like Xerxes, and then the reputation of a beautiful empire is ruined. Even with the above being said, such as Xerxes being a jerk, I still think that they portrayed him wrong. For one thing, he was not a homosexual. In fact, he was married to a Jewish woman to the best of my knowledge.

And while Xerxes did some wrong things for sure, I wouldn't consider himself to be pure evil.

And to answer your question about did it offend me? Well it is just a fictional movie so in that since I was not that offended. What did bother me though is when one of the directors (I think it was one of the directors but i'm not sure) said "the movie 300 is at least 90 percent historically accurate" (or something along those lines.)

If it's just a movie, then be open about that and just admit it's just a movie, rather than lying that it is very historically accurate. Both the portrayal of the persians AND greeks were not accurate. As far as I'm concerned, greeks should be offended by the movie as well for that very reason.

2) Well a lot of things define my besides my heritage. In fact I don't think my heritage defines me as a person at all. Still I am proud of it though, and gladly celebrate Persian cultures and traditions. There is nothing in particular I have to say, but I am glad to answer any questions people may have.

What do you think of the current Persian leader?

Do you mean the man in charge of present day Iran? In that case, I would say I am very disgusted. He is a disgrace to the Iranian people, and says anti-semetic things which makes us look bad because the vast majority of persians (including myself) are not anti-semetic. In fact, Persians go way back having friendly ties with Jewish people, such as Cyrus the great which was the only gentile to be named a messiah.

I want Iran's government and leaders to be changed. I want Iran to be a secular nation with separation of church and state. I want Persians to be able to speak out against the government legally, whenever they want too. I hate Iran's current leader and government, to answer your question straightforwardly.

Is Coldplay popular in Iran ?

All western music is banned in Iran. So to answer your question, no.

edit: I also don't like where this is going. One more peep about Coldplay on this thread will be reported. Iran/Persia has nothing to do with coldplay, and all of you know. Don't make personal attacks against me because of something that happened over a year ago. This is about Persia/Iran, and that only.

All western music is banned in Iran. So to answer your question, no.

edit: I also don't like where this is going. One more peep about Coldplay on this thread will be reported. Iran/Persia has nothing to do with coldplay, and all of you know. Don't make personal attacks against me because of something that happened over a year ago. This is about Persia/Iran, and that only.

Really? Is Iranian music as good as Western music?

Really? Is Iranian music as good as Western music?

That's all a matter of opinion. As to whether you would personally like Persian music as good as western music? See for yourself.

I personally think this Persian song is beautiful. :)

edit: And the fact that all western music is banned in Iran is just one more thing I hate about the current regime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rnDfwlT54

Did Iranians sometimes worry about the Iraq war carrying over onto Iranian territory?

I personally don't worry about that, because the last thing our country (I'm a persian-american) needs is another war. Besides that, Iran is much larger than Iraq, and Iran has lots of mountains perfect for gorilla warfare. Combat in Iran would be a nightmare for American troops. American military experts know this, and this is probably one of the reasons why US has not invaded Iran. In a war between America and Iran, both countries would lose. Iran would lose because their country would be devastated. America would lose because it would be a complete waste of money and lives.

Although: Afghanistan was part of the Persian empire before the british split it in two. So in that since, American troops are still in "persian" territory. Does any of this answer your question?

Hiya! I happen to be Iranian too! :high5:

Well "Persia" was the golden age of my heritage (from my middle eastern side) and Present day Iran is filled with human rights injustices, poverty, and many other things I"m not exactly proud of. This is not to say that modern day Iranians are not great people. I have met many Iranians, and they seemed to be very pleasant people.

I personally don't really care if people call me Persian or Iranian, but I am more proud of the contributions of the Persian empire than I am Modern day Iran. Does that answer your question?

Do your Iranian family members call themselves Persian when speaking in Farsi too? Because I've only known Iranians to say they're Persian when speaking in English, otherwise we just refer to ourselves as Iranians.

Do you speak fluent Farsi?

Have you ever been to Iran? If so what did you think?

Although: Afghanistan was part of the Persian empire before the british split it in two. So in that since, American troops are still in "persian" territory. Does any of this answer your question?
Do you really consider the Afghanistan to be a part of Iran still? Does your family? I've never heard of an Iranian who wanted more of Afghanistan. :lol:

Hiya! I happen to be Iranian too! :high5:

Do your Iranian family members call themselves Persian when speaking in Farsi too? Because I've only known Iranians to say they're Persian when speaking in English, otherwise we just refer to ourselves as Iranians.

Do you speak fluent Farsi?

Have you ever been to Iran? If so what did you think?

Do you really consider the Afghanistan to be a part of Iran still? Does your family? I've never heard of an Iranian who wanted more of Afghanistan. :lol:

Afghanistan is not a part of Iran but it was very much a part of the Persian empire. I don't know about the rest of my family though, haven't asked them. I do not speak fluent farsi, but I know a little bit. I have never been to Iran, and have no immediate plans to go considering the current situation of the country. It's a shame that such a beautiful country has to be in the shape it's in.

As to your first question? Well it depends who we're talking too. If we are afraid that who we are talking to is prejudice against Iranians, we will say we are "persian" not "iranian" if we do not think they are prejudice, we will refer to ourselves as either one.

I used to work with a guy who was from Iran and he spoke Farsi and he absolutely hated the current regime in Iran, since it was so restrictive.

Just about everyone in my family (if not absolutely everyone) feels the same way. My iranian family ranges from people that were born christian, to converted to Christianity, to people that simply left Islam, to very liberal muslims that did things that fundamentalist muslims would consider unspeakable (one of my Iranian relatives married a Jewish man).

And who can blame us for hating the current regime so much? They are a disgrace to the Iranian people, and most of the anti-western crap that comes from Iran is not actually from the Iranian people, but from the government.

The current regime gives Iranians no basic human rights, whereas Cyrus The Great did.

Top Bottom