1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a published writer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I can answer- and will- although first i should note that i asked for this thread to be locked, since there exists another thread in OT with the same topic (and that one is more updated).

Anyway: I very seldom write any story that exceeds thirty pages or so. Most of my stories are at around 10 pages, so losing interest is not an issue.

However if you have to write something larger, then you can sustain interest by choosing a topic and format that you think will perpetuate your interest in it. If i had to write a novel, it would not be about my past, since i do not feel like being bound by it, but it could be about the future, since that would not bore me at all, and that is just a basic example of this mental stance :)

2. Kyriakos

Just to mark the move to the new forum (a forum which i really jope will continue its existence past this day...).

No real news to report, i am waiting for the results of a contest to be announced in one month. Also waiting for the third story to be published, as i have been told it will :)

3. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

That's great! :)

4. SKILORD

SKILORD Insurgent

5. Kyriakos

Thank you Harvin :)

Well done Skilord, excellent title for the story too.

6. Kyriakos

Some really GREAT news for me:

I would like to announce that earlier today i was at the mag publisher's, and he told me my story will be in the issue comming out in half a month. He also said that he might need a second, smaller story, for the same issue, for a different part of the magazine...
    Also said that everyone who read the story loved it.

It seems i will be published in this magazine in the future as well, all goes good for the time being! :)

7. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

The other option is to find out what independent publishing houses you have, and talk to them. Many big cities have several that specialize in poetry and short fiction (I think there are actually more markets for these works than an actual novel). You can try selling individual poems to the publishing houses or magazines, and once you get a few picked up, you'll be in a stronger position to get an entire book.

Or you can self-publish, and once you demonstrate you can hawk 750 copies on your own, you can get another house to help you sell more.

8. Kyriakos

Recieved a reply from a publishing house. Although they claimed i "know how to write", they explained that "the current crisis disables us from publishing entirely on our own expence".

This is sad. Anyway, i plan to send the book to a few more houses next.

The magazine has not yet been published, but it is likely to be before the end of this month, looking forward to that.

9. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

Just to pick up on that question about publishing poetry, don't try literary agents. Almost no respectable literary agents will take poetry, at least not from new authors. It's pretty much impossible for a new author to sell a book of poetry. The way to do it is to try to publish individual poems in magazines and journals and build up a reputation that way. But it is much harder to become a published poet, let alone make a living out of it, than it is with fiction, and that's hard enough.

See here for more information.

10. Kyriakos

Poetry is very hard to publish here as well, starting with magazines seems to be the sole way to do it.

A small notice: i just got the new magazine with my work :D

11. SKILORD

SKILORD Insurgent

If you want to get your poetry noticed or generate some sort of short term benefit from your poetry in the 21st Century you are left with pretty limited venues for it. Allow me to share two potential venues, although I will admit up front that the money isn't going to come easy in either. Oh, by the way, how's your public speaking?

A.) Find the hippest coffehouse in your city and start asking around about poetry slams. Find a poetry slam. There will be no money, but at least there will be people who like poetry.

B.) Find a sick beat. Start rapping. When your poetry has no content similarities with most rap, smile, and know that you are moving the genre forwards. If you are willing to pirate decent audio software and have a CD burner then there could well be some money here. But you'd be better served by asking how them boys in Texas and the Dirty South did it if you want money.

(I drive around with CD's of my stuff in my trunk at all times. They cost 3 bucks.)

12. Kyriakos

Some news:

-The magazine has been published (some weeks ago), and my story is there, making it my third in a printed periodical :)

-Three more stories have been published electronically in e-zines. Not much to bother with there, although it is notable that the editor of one of them did not even tell me it would be published, AND moreover dug up some info about my book...

-Expecting answers from two other printed mags. Also from a couple of publishing houses for my collection of short stories. Nothing much going on there either...

So, how are the other writers of CFC doing? I hope better ;)

13. Kyriakos

Just got an email from yet a fourth different mag. They will publish a small story by me in the September issue. :)

If you feel like it you can visit http://www.eleftheria.co.uk/, open the newspaper, and in page 23 is my story (only in Greek though, i have not managed to find an english edition...)

14. downtown

I've also started to hit paydirt. I now have regular (paid) collumns for two major sports websites. Ideally, this will be my full time job by next year.

15. Kyriakos

Congratulations :thumbsup:

16. Kyriakos

Some negative news...

Just got an email reply from one of the three printed magazines i was expecting news from, and they said that due to the story being released in an online magazine they cannot print it.

So i guess this is for me the end for releasing material in online places...

Sad really, but i see their point. :/

17. downtown

Yeah, you gotta read the fine print on rights when you post online...

18. Kyriakos

The interesting thing is that this particular story was only released in one place, some online magazine. So unless it happened that they discovered it purely by chance, they should have searched for it actively...

It was a reasonably good story too, too bad about the ruling.

My main reason (or rather the sole reason) for publishing stuff online was so as to advance the numbers of pages with my name/surname. Currently they are around 8 thousand. But this is a non-issue if it costs me publications in printed outlets.

19. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

As I understand it, what publishers of short stories really like is authors who maintain websites where they regularly post free and exclusive stories to build up and maintain a strong fan base. These fans can then be expected to buy the magazines or books that contain the author's other stories. In other words, putting material online is a good idea, but it has to be different from the material you publish conventionally.

20. Kyriakos

I thought of that too, the problem is though that this would effectively make me have a double mentality in regards to writing, that is to have the end of also producing stuff which are not that good in my view, so as to post them online.
    And posting somethign not that good anywhere probably is a bad idea by itself as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.