Ask a religious Jew

Status
Not open for further replies.

civ2

Emperor
1. I "revived" the trolled-then-closed thread, due to being asked for it several times.
2. I will not tolerate (nor answer) trolling: REPORT will be my only answer to the REAL trolls, while any DISCUSSION is welcome.
3. I'd prefer to see QUESTIONS, not ATTACKS, so have that in mind.
4. I do await any serious discussion we shall have here. :D

Moderator Action: The moderator action at the end of the previous thread specifically instructed you not to create a duplicate thread. Please do not ignore moderator warning.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

What do you want to see as the status quo for the Middle East 50 years from now?

Mr. Dictator
Ambiguous question, somewhat.
1. If you're asking me as a "religious Jew" (OP thread, you know) - so I believe in the coming of Moshiach (Jewish version of Messiah, check my sig) ASAP.
Which means, he will remove ALL wars in the world, definitely including the Middle East one too.
Also, this will include establishing Israel's borders according to the Biblical prophecies.
MAP1
MAP2
Which is an automatic solution to the "Palestinian problem". :D
2. If you're asking me as a "normal person" (which means, according to the world's "secular" status quo), I'd rather NOT start discussing Israel's politics - it mostly unnerves me a lot.
(They're making more mistakes with each confrontation...)
But I'd rather NOT discuss THIS topic.
Please.

tailless
Could you be more specific about WHAT you mean by this, please?
I'm not so sure...

I´ve been given to understand that the coming of the Messiah predates the reckoning (i.e. end of time/judgement day). I fail to see how this relates to `establishing Israel's borders according to the Biblical prophecies´. Kindly explain.

What reasons does God give in the Torah (or any of the other Jewish holy books) for not eating pigs and requiring kosher meat? Is there any theological reason or is it a case of "God told us to do this so we do it"?

JEELEN
Ingathering of exiles.
We will SEE G-d, with our eyes.
Will the future be miraculous?
Stages of the Redemption.

Ajidica
LINK1
Spoiler :
The commandments are divided into three categories, called mishpatim, chukim, and eidot. The category of commandments called mishpatim, which is probably the majority of the Torah, refers to those commandments that are rational. They are so rational, that even if the Torah didn't tell us, we'd probably figure them out by ourselves. Like the prohibition against murder; you don't have to be a very pious, G-d-fearing Jew to realize that killing is not a nice thing to do. Many people are not murderers even though they're not righteous or ethical. This is the category of mishpatim.

Eidot are a different kind of commandment. Eidot are those commandments that we probably would never have invented of our own accord, but because the Torah told us, we can see some logic in them. Basically, these are the commandments that have to do with testimony: they testify that certain historical events occurred, such as Passover: when G-d took us out of Egypt, our forefathers ate matzah, unleavened bread, so we also eat matzah. It could be that we'd never come up with it on our own, but we can accept it; it makes sense in a certain way.

Chukim are those commandments that we just cannot figure out rationally. The classic example is the red heifer -- who would ever think of such a commandment? To take a red heifer, burn it, and sprinkle its ashes… who would invent such a commandment? No one. Another example is the prohibition against wearing linen and wool. Who would even think of such a commandment -- that you shouldn't be able to wear linen and wool, shaatnez? Why not? Or to deny yourself cheeseburgers. Why should the Torah say that this food is no good, that food is good; this meat is kosher because it comes from an animal that chews its cud and has split hooves, whereas the other meat is not kosher because it comes from an animal which does not have these qualifications?

We see that there are certain commandments that just don't make mortal sense. Try as you will, you will never find a rational reason for those commandments. Those commandments are called chukim -- laws, statutes, decrees. You like it, you don't like it; this is the Jewish way. Take it or leave it.
LINK2

Spoiler :
Generally speaking, the mitzvot are divided into two categories: logical mishpatim ("laws" or "judgements") and supra-rational chukkim ("decrees").

The mishpatim are mitzvot such as the commandment to give charity or the prohibitions against theft and murder, whose reason and utility are obvious to us, and which we would arguably have instituted on our own if G-d had not commanded them. The chukkim are those mitzvot, such as the dietary laws or the laws of family purity, which we accept as divine decrees, despite their incomprehensibility and -- in the most extreme of chukkim -- their irrationality.

[A third category, the eidot ("testimonials"), occupies the middle ground between the decrees and the laws. A testimonial is a mitzvah which commemorates or represents something -- e.g., the commandments to put on tefillin, rest on Shabbat, or eat matzah on Passover. These are laws which we would not have devised on our own, certainly not in the exact manner in which the Torah commands; nevertheless, they are rational acts. Once their significance is explained to us, we can appreciate their import and utility.]

Yet each of these terms -- mishpatim, chukkim and eidot -- is also used by the Torah as a synonym for "mitzvah" and a reference to all commandments of the Torah. A case in point is the Torah section of Mishpatim (Exodus 21-24), which opens with G-ds words to Moses, "And these are the mishpatim that you shall set before them." The 53 mitzvot that follow are indeed primarily logical laws, but they also include a number of "testimonials" and at least one supra-rational "decree" -- the last mitzvah in the series, which is the prohibition against mixing meat with milk ("Do not cook a kid in its mother's milk").

Chassidic teaching explains that every mitzvah is, in essence, a supra-rational chok, and at the same time, every mitzvah is also a comprehensible mishpat.

G-d created the human mind and the logic by which it operates. Obviously, then, it would be nothing less than ridiculous to assume that G-d desires something because it is logical. Rather, the reverse is true: something is logical because G-d desires it. In other words, the reason the commandment "Do not kill" is logical to us is that G-d desired a world in which life is sacred, and molded our minds in accordance with His vision of reality. In essence, however, "Do not kill" is no more logical than the mitzvah of parah adumah (the commandment to sprinkle the ashes of the Red Heifer upon someone who has been ritually contaminated through contact with a corpse -- often cited as the ultimate chok). So the rationality of the commandment "Do not kill" is but an external "garment" behind which lies the mitzvah's essential nature as the supra-rational will of G-d.

In the words of the Tanya: "The rationales of the mitzvot have not been revealed, for they are beyond reason and understanding. Also in those instances in which there has been revealed and explained a certain reason which is apparently comprehensible to us, this is not ... the ultimate reason, for within it is contained an inner, sublime wisdom that is beyond reason and understanding."

On the other hand, even the most irrational decree has its rational elements that can be analyzed by the human mind and appreciated by it as a lesson in life. As Maimonides writes, "Although all the chukkim of the Torah are supra-rational decrees... it is fitting to contemplate them, and whatever can be explained, should be explained."
I'll expand later on, probably. :D

I've often seen you blank out one letter in God (i.e. "G-d"). What's the exact reason for this? I'm vaguely aware that there's a taboo in Judaism about writing down God's name, but "God" isn't really God's name, is it? Are doing it just to be safe, or is there another reason?

Leoreth
Quite easy:
The original prohibition is to destroy the written Hebrew Names of G-d.
This was extended (as a precaution) to other languages too, also this is due to simple RESPECT.
Regarding DIGITAL "words", this wouldn't apply at all (we can't tell, whether these "words" even exist), but since there is a POSSIBILITY for the text to be printed and then destroyed, it's a good HABIT to do so EVERYWHERE.

Thanks, didn't think translations of a name would count as the name as well.

In face to face interactions, is there a lot of tension between Israeli jews and muslims?

Do you have any muslim friends or acquaintances?

Does all of this hoopla affect how you interact with these theoretical people?

What is your opinion on arguments against circumcision?

Dictator
May I remind you, that the OP is "Ask a religious Jew", not "Ask an Israeli"? :lol:
I'm not the latter, well, YET. :D
This should be my answer. :lol:

I was under the impression that you lived in Israel, my bad.

How do you view other religions/spiritual paths?

Would you please give me short version of Messiahs coming?
From my point of view one has to work very hard inwardly/spiritually and then the salvation comes naturally in accordance with the spiritual laws. It doesnt come just by outward acceptance of certain doctrines but I admit it could be sufficient, I think, when one takes refuge with some spiritual giants like Buddha or Christ.

What do you understand by salvation?

How do you view Kabalah?

More in-depth, please.
I do prefer fully formulated questions. :D

For example, some people argue that removing the foreskin of infants without a medical reason (e.g. infection) is unethical as the baby has no consent. People also think that it removes the sensitivity 'down there'. What do you think of these arguments?

Also, does traditional Jewish circumcision at least use some sort of anaesthetic?

Gorakshanat (can I shorten it to Gorak? :D)
1. I'd prefer not to start the "war of religions" here, please.
But generally, like ANY religious person, I consider mine to be the right one. :lol:
2. Did you read my sig links?
If you have any specific questions afterwards, I'm all open.
3. Judaism is more about Revelation, rather than Salvation.
The future WE await, is about "seeing G-d with our eyes" and "Earth being filled with knowledge of G-d".
Do you have any specific questions on this topic?
4. As a deepest part of Torah, nowadays it's quite exposed through Chassidism (as in "adapted for the general audience").

Farsight
Your second question undermines the lack of knowledge on the first. :lol:
Anyways.
LINK
Spoiler :
Perfection

We are born with natural instincts for self-preservation. Babies are intrinsically selfish. They cry when they want to be fed, scream when they want to be held and take no interest in other people’s feelings and needs. From our earliest moments, we place ourselves and our needs ahead of others.

In a baby this attitude is cute and charming, but left unchecked this attitude grows corrosive and quickly loses its charm. We become demanding toddlers, then selfish children, and finally self-absorbed adults. The work of purification and refinement must begin early. There really is no time to waste.

Circumcision purifies and refines. It forces us to make a sacrifice. Removing the foreskin diminishes the pleasure and enjoyment of intercourse.1 We sacrifice such pleasure and proclaim that, on our scale, Divine instruction is a greater priority than self-gratification.

Males could have been created without the foreskin, yet G‑d wanted us to remove it ourselves. This was to demonstrate that as we complete the physical appearance of our bodies, so can we perfect the contours of our personalities and the shapes of our souls.
Universal Bond

Our sages saw circumcision as a feature of Jewish identity, a testimony that we are unique in body as we are in soul.

The mystics explain that as we remove the foreskin and reveal the organ beneath, a veil is simultaneously lifted from our soul that reveals our intrinsic bond with G‑d. This mark is universal to all Jews, for we all share this intrinsic bond.
Discovering Light

Circumcision does not forge this bond, but rather reveals it. In this sense circumcision is different from all other commandments. All other commandments forge new connections with G‑d; circumcision reveals our existing connection with Him.

By way of illustration, consider a dark room that might be illuminated by one of two methods. One can either turn on a light, or remove the opaque covering from the windows and allow the plentiful sunlight to stream in from outside.

The first method creates a limited amount of light where there was only darkness before. The second method reveals an unlimited source of light that is already in place. It is necessary only to uncover the windows or, in other words, discover the light.

Circumcision works in a similar vein. While the other commandments forge new connections with G‑d and draw new Divine light into our world, circumcision reveals the intense, intrinsic bond that we already enjoy with G‑d, the bond that G‑d forges with all Jews at their moment of birth.

If our bond with G‑d were forged through circumcision, then even a one-day delay of circumcision would be catastrophic. It would mean losing a full day of Divine connectivity. In truth, however, our bond is intrinsic. We are born with it. Delaying the circumcision does not affect the bond. It only delays the date on which it is revealed.

Deeper Meaning

We can now understand that Maimonides’ final comment is not cavalier toward circumcision. His earlier comment explains that protecting the baby’s life is our primary consideration. Then he adds that delay of circumcision does not affect the baby’s bond with G‑d.

“The circumcision,” he writes, “can be performed later, but we can never bring back a single Jewish soul.” These words might be translated as follows: The delay of circumcision will not affect the baby’s Divine bond, because this bond is eternal. “A Jewish soul,” irrespective of circumcision, “can never be brought back.” It can never be made to turn back or away from G‑d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom