Ask a religious Jew

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civ2, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

First, I was not aware that Jewish-Iranian relations were any worse in the 1970's than they are now, thus my point "do Jewish people consider Iranians to be enemies"

Second, I am not sure what you mean by the "nuke" emoticon, because to the best of my knowledge, Iran did not have nuclear weapons in the 1970's.

2. timtofly

timtofly One Day

The written (full) name could not be destroyed. If the scribe made any other mistake in his copying of the text, the document could not be destroyed. The writing of G-d did allow the document to be destroyed if a mistake was made. Not only did this help prevent errors, but if a scroll was found "not finished" the mistake was in writing the name of G-d. The Jews were very serious in keeping error out of the Word, G-d had given to them.

That was the sense that I received when it was explained to me.

3. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Yes, you are correct. Judaism has no "enemies" (unless you count biblical ones like the Philistines). It would make little sense to label an entire people an "enemy", especially considering there are Iranian Jews. It's a silly notion and I'm glad you don't subscribe to it.

4. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Thanks for the explanation, it makes perfect sense to me that they don't want to destroy something with the name of their god on it.

I find it strange that you use g-d even when you talk about a deity, though. I suppose it is because you believe that every religion prays to the same god but just has a different idea of him (which I believe is a brilliant and pacifistic idea, if only some extremists - both Jewish and from other religions - would remember it...)?

5. civ2

civ2 Emperor

EM
    ANSWER
    Spoiler :

Oldschooler
    OK, let's drop it.
    I just meant, that when Jews hear "Iran", they think of Ahmadinejad, who wants to NUKE Israel (thus my emoticon).

strijder
    The "same" G-d applies only when it's ONE G-d, however named or described.
    Otherwise, it's a different concept.

6. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Ahmadinejad is certainly not popular among Iranian-Americans, and as far as I know, not even among Iranians. When he won the election a few years ago, Iranians weren't terribly happy about it.

edit: did I say he won the election? I meant he "won" the election

7. civ2

civ2 Emperor

Oldschooler
    Well, I'm not Iranian, so how would I know that?
    And from what I did hear about him, he's a representative of Iran's politics now, and he's a personal enemy with Israel.
    Does it mean, Iranians are enemies too?
    I say, no.
    Does it make people to be very negative towards them anyways?
    I say, yes.
    Thus, those who actively dislike Iranians, do this purely due to Ahmadinejad and his attitude towards Israel.

8. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

Civ2, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you. No need to nail it down either, if you can give an answer in a five year range, that's good enough for me.

Also, this:
    Really isn't accurate:

9. civ2

civ2 Emperor

Buff
    I'm 28, so what?
    Also, about circumcision, it's not MY article, you know. :D
    Though, yours also mostly says "we don't have definite data".
    Also, the key point isn't about how it affects sexual life, but rather the spiritual part.

PS. I have a similar joke to yours: "Rabbi Wiki". :lol::lol::lol:

10. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Does anybody do the Nazirite thing today?

11. civ2

civ2 Emperor

random
    Hmmm...
    Good question.
    Technically, it's possible, but only "one way", cause it required to bring a sacrifice in the Temple to end it, which is now impossible.
    So, unless someone is REALLY against wine and all, I doubt anyone would inflict such things upon oneself.

12. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

How do you determine if someone is ethnically a Jew? I assk this since my Grandmother would have been classified as a Jew according to Nazi Doctrine, since she was the granddaughter of a Jew. I was told this by my mother, so I know that, but thankfully my Grandmother was living in Australia at the time, so she was never in any danger of the Nazis.

13. civ2

civ2 Emperor

classical
    I very much dislike such concepts as "ethnical Jew".
    Someone is either JEWISH or not, and this is EASILY determined by these 2 options:
    1. Born to a Jewish mother.
    Includes ANY number of generations, as long as all of them are girls.
    Thus, if someone's mother's.....x10 mother was Jewish, he/she is Jewish.
    Not necessarily he/she KNOWS it, but the actual fact is so.
    (BTW, the missing ten Tribes will survive exactly this way - even though they now have no clue about their Jewishness, for the last 2500 years actually, but it's there, regardless. and when Moshiach comes, he'll be able to trace it back, however long backwards.)
    2. Proper convert by an Orthodox Rabbi.
    A proper convert is considered 100% Jewish, so option 1 also includes children of converted women.
    The non-Orthodox conversions are a huge problem, for 2 reasons: uncertainty of whether the convert knows enough and will continue living a Jewish life (which they should) AND whether this is even acceptable by true Torah standards (which might mean, they did NOT become Jewish).
    Also, insincere conversions of any type are also problematic.
    But enough about it. :D
    So, to sum up: either mother OR convert.

14. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

If somebody converted to Reform or Conservative Judaism and decided they wanted to go Orthodox, would they have to go through the rituals again?

15. civ2

civ2 Emperor

random
    More than probably.
    Except, the only "rituals" involved are circumcision (for men :lol:; more than probably would NOT need correction) and ritual immersion (easy to do anyways).
    The serious stuff, though, would involve their LEARNING, there's a big chance, that they'd be required to go through another crash course on religious Jewish life.
    Or, at the very least, to learn the Orthodox version of the laws (they are going to live as Orthodox Jews, you know :D).
    Anyways, NOT MUCH (physically, while a huge step spiritually).

16. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

How would that work for a circumcised gentile?

17. civ2

civ2 Emperor

random
    For those, who underwent any other type of circumcision: be it medical, which is physically different, OR even if physically correct, but by an unqualified agent, like a doctor, - there's a simple procedure, called "drawing the blood drop", which is exactly that: a small cut is being done and the proper blessing is being made, then it's considered as done fully; or in the case of physically incorrect, it's just completed to be as usual, of course with proper blessing, and then also is OK.
    To make it short:
    What wasn't cut, gets cut, and what wasn't said, gets said.
    Easy. :D

18. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Wow. So, he gets what he wants because "cannot have lied to Rachel", but this is the same dude whose heroics include deceiving an old, blind father?

Honestly, it seems like double-speak

19. civ2

civ2 Emperor

EM
    Deception? R U sure?
    Spoiler :

Blessings and recipients.
    Spoiler :

20. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Honestly, if Joseph and Benjamin had never been born.... How do we know that Jacob had any influence over his decisions?

Seems to me the only thing Jacob did right was this:

Spoiler :
    25 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.

26 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was strained, as he wrestled with him.

27 And he said: 'Let me go, for the day breaketh.' And he said: 'I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.'

28 And he said unto him: 'What is thy name?' And he said: 'Jacob.'

29 And he said: 'Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel; for thou hast striven with G-d and with men, and hast prevailed.'

30 And Jacob asked him, and said: 'Tell me, I pray thee, thy name.' And he said: 'Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name?' And he blessed him there.

31 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: 'for I have seen G-d face to face, and my life is preserved.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.