1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Russian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gelion, Oct 13, 2006.

1. red_elk

red_elk Deity

It's not like it didn't have a purpose anymore by 70-s.
    Mi-26 has apparently more successful design and still has many uses up to this day.

2. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Moscow prom at Gorky Park, 2020

AdamCrock likes this.
  3. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Slav girls are so beautiful !

red_elk likes this.
  4. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Mil helicopters look like a crocodile !! :D

5. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

During my exploration of Russian music I've found Maksim (МакSим) I think it is superb ! ^^

6. red_elk

red_elk Deity

warpus likes this.
  7. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Great news, Zhenya is back!
    https://sports.yahoo.com/figure-skater-medvedeva-returns-coach-tutberidze-142736391--spt.html

She left Russia in 2018, lived and trained in Canada since then. Yesterday it was announced that she made decision to return to her first coach, Eteri "The Iron Lady" :)

Glad that she is back home again and wish her all the best!

8. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Makes sense why some Russians miss the USSR.

9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

For the Russian speakers here, I have a favor to ask you. I'm involved with a Model United Nations group where we simulate various historic Security Councils for college students. To help them get a better understanding of the world at the time, we provide the student representatives with some news articles from that time on the topics the council will be discussing. As things stand, we usually have to rely on New York Times or Washington Post archives. However, last year, @red_elk was very helpful in finding me a Russian news source for the Congo Crisis of 1961.
    This year, I am involved in simulating events of 1990 and a Russian language news article would be helpful in 'setting the stage' for the representatives. If any of the Russian speakers here have a chance over the next week or so, I would very much appreciate it if you could find a Russian language news article (a couple paragraphs would be fine) from January to March of 1990 (the simulation starts in March of 1990) talking about either the situation in the Middle East (so Lebanon or Iran-Iraq War peace talks) or Cambodia peace talks. I really just want to give the representatives a different perspective on topics, beyond the Washington/Atlanticist perspectives found in the Times or Post.
    An English translation would be highly appreciated, unless you guys want to see how badly I can mangle the Russian language using google translate!

Many thanks in advance!

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

What are the premier hiking trails in Russia? By "premier" I mean.. for instance.. In Chile they have the W-circuit, in Nepal they have the Everest Base Camp Trek, in NZ they have the Milford Track, etc. I wouldn't mind seeing an answer that distinguishes between day hikes and multi-day hikes. Thanks!

I'm asking because I just realized I've never heard of hiking options in Russia at all.. ever. It just doesn't seem to come up, but it's such a giant country, there's gotta be some beautiful trails to hike!

11. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I can't name a hiking trail which would be a "country-wide" premier one, like Everest in Nepal.
    There are dozens of popular tourist destinations and each one has one or several best hiking trails. Altai, lake Baikal, Kamchatka, Karelia, Golden Ring towns...

I'm not a hiker myself, but there are plenty of resources available to choose a good trail or share your experience.
    https://www.alltrails.com/russia
    https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/hiking/russia

Considering places to go for vacation, personally I would choose Altai or Kamchatka. Or multiple locations trip, like Volga boat or Trans-Siberian train tours.

warpus likes this.
  12. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I tried to find anything, but unfortunately the site I used last time closed free access to their archive.
    Only found few pages from Izvestia in 1990, but there are no articles about Middle East :(
    I'll try to find something more this week, or may be someone else will be able to help.

Ajidica likes this.
  13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I tried to do some quick research, and it seems that you're right and I should be doing research not "Best in Russia", but instead best in each of these regions. Thanks!

I don't think I'm going to Russia anytime soon, but it occurred to me that there must be so many great hiking options there, given how huge of a country it is and how many biomes it covers.

red_elk likes this.
  14. red_elk

red_elk Deity

@Ajidica
    Found this, weekly news program from March 4-th, 1990

It briefly mentions the Middle East and Cambodia.

"An informal meeting on Cambodia has been going on in Jakarta for the last several days. The final document wasn't accepted. The prime minister of Cambodia Hun Sen and Vietnam Foreign Minister Nguyễn Cơ Thạch put the responsibility for the failure of meeting on the delegation of Pol Pot supporters."

"People of occupied Arabian territories are mass protesting again on Western bank of Jordan river and Sector Gaza. 60 Palestinians were wounded in clashes with Israeli troops. According to Reuters agency referencing Israeli television, prime minister of Israel Yitzhak Shamir will probably agree to conduct negotiations with the Palestinians using the formula put forward by the USA. However, block of right wing parties still insist on exclusion from talks the representatives of Palestinian Liberation Organization."

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Ajidica likes this.
  15. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

From what I've seen as outsider looking in such things exist but they're a lot more localized.

Russian forests have ticks though and apparently they're are bad so perhaps Red_Elk can shed some light on them.

I know there are/were some NZers in Sochi doing adventure tourism a'la Queenstown and another was doing land cruiser safaris in Siberia. The Sochi ones were ex AJ Hackett employees.

Lots of nice things mentioned about the Russian people as well. Helps to know Russian though.

There's also river rafting and some places are very pretty.

One month visa not long enough;). I was looking at a 3 month one and skipping winter one year.

warpus likes this.
  16. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Not much dangerous in European part, worse in Far East. Usual precautions should be taken, I think it's about the same as in Canada.

warpus likes this.
  17. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Bit weird for me here the climate can be dangerous. No ticks, snakes bears, wolves or anything poisonous.

Some parts of Russia look a lot like parts here. Other parts are very unique though.

Thought more than once if I did move to Russia do something outdoor related.

Respect the environment don't be stupid.

18. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Many thanks for your help! Simply using the right 'tone' when providing reports from Moscow to the Soviet representatives helps a lot in contributing to a good simulation.

red_elk likes this.
  19. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

@warpus This guy has a few videos on places not covered by vloggers in Russia.

I quite like a few of his videos. Some of them are on Russian tracks.

There's tracks in Urals as well.

20. red_elk

red_elk Deity

In Moscow area the nature is safe, there are almost no dangerous animals apart from humans. It's very rare that somebody gets sick from tick bite. There are poisonous vipers, but also almost never deadly. Comparing to Australia it's safe haven here.

But living in "human anthill" I sometimes dream of moving someplace like Pitcairn island :)