1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Russian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gelion, Oct 13, 2006.

1. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Multiple artillery would negate high angle of attack ?
    Plus after a steep dive, dragon would then then bleed speed pulling up which is the ideal time to shoot. I remember that German Stukas were most vulnerable after coming out of a dive bomb attack.

Far better for NIGHT attack when Artillery is nearly blind, all Artillery positions were easily spotted in day time in fixed locations. Even better have siege army fire flaming boulders into the Artillery positions both to illuminate them and attract the enemies attention. But you know Americans they love giant explosions and have to make battle exciting.

red_elk likes this.
  2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

How do you spell New Zealand in Russian. Gopnik power.

3. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

About the roadsign.
    It's a reference to novel of Mikhail Bulgakov, "The Master and Margarita", written in 1930-s.
    It is a mystical/philosophical and satirical novel, the main plot line is about the devil visiting USSR.
    The first chapter is called "Never talk to strangers" and the events happen at Patriarch Ponds.
    The thin man and the cat are part of devil's entourage.

"Новая Зеландия"

AdamCrock likes this.
  4. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

Of course ! The cat's name (on the sign) is Behemoth ! :D I have watched a theatre play based o Bulhakov's Novel, it was awesome ! Idk for sure but I think that Stalin let Bulhakov work at the theater but forbid him from displaying his own plays. I would have guessed it if I didn't forgot about chapter 1 setting. ;)

red_elk likes this.
  5. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Rock-N-Mob, 19 May 2019.
    Moscow, Gorky Park

Rock-N-Mob is a rock orchestra where everyone can participate. They gather and plan performances together. This year more than 270 musicians participated in Moscow concert.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Anyone tried the Atom RPG? I've just bought it so probably a bit late to ask for opinions on it but advice on character creation etc always welcome.

7. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Never heard of it. I like USSR setting (nostalgia!), so maybe I'll try it later, though post-apocalyptic RPGs are not my favorite.
    Of course you are welcome to share your impressions here :)

8. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Well I'm not sure I'd recommend it.
    Its very old school rpg but with better graphics and character creation, combat, crafting all work well but so far the stories/quests aren't very inspiring.
    Lots of Russian atmosphere, some good jokes, and you wouldn't have to deal with the sometimes poor translation of the English version.
    Then again its not that expensive and when its on sale it will be pretty cheap to pick up.

red_elk likes this.
  9. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

- So, how is your fiancee?
    - Oh, everything is great! We've only had one little disagreement so far.
    - What disagreement?
    - Well, I want to wear a beautiful white dress for our wedding.
    - And he?
    - He doesn't want to marry.

AdamCrock likes this.
  10. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Watched surprisingly decent family movie, "He is a Dragon", 2015.
    Slavic fantasy, loosely based on Marina and Sergey Dyachenko's novel "The Ritual"

(The song - "Snake's bride" by Helavisa)

The problem with contemporary Russian movies is that the storyline is often a complete disaster and this makes most movies unwatchable. The good ones are either remakes of old movies, or book adaptations. In this case the story is based on a novel of pretty good authors, so the plot is ok, though actors play could be better.

11. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Professor Woland, accompanied by his henchmen Koroviev and Behemoth. ;)

red_elk likes this.
  12. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Have you seen real badass Russian truck driver? :)

(Sorry, there is no translation, but it's not required to get the point)

I wonder if it's common in Western countries. In Russia it's extremely rare, as I can see from the videos, people's reaction is often like "Wow! :eek: ".
    Very surprised, but positive.

13. Yeekim

Yeekim Warlord

... one of the best books of all time.

red_elk likes this.
  14. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

"A thousand years of sacrifice in our veins"

15. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

Curiously the three guys who went under the reactor to open the water valves in that was supposed to be a suicidal mission survived. Two are still alive today. That does not make it any less heroic though.

red_elk likes this.
  16. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

It was heroic and they were risking their lives, but in reality it wasn't suicide mission as the movie suggests.
    And the possible consequences of steam explosion were vastly exaggerated in the movie. It would likely cause additional leak of radiation, which is already bad enough - in the movie it was shown like it would cause megatons-scale explosion and render half of continent inhabitable for hundreds of years.

17. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

Obviously it was not suicide as they are still alive. But the question is if they believed it was suicide when did it.

The movie says it would be a 2-4 megaton explosion. I also thought that was greatly exaggerated. However it didn't need to be megaton-size, only big enough to blow up the three remaining Chernobyl reactors.

18. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

I read Ananenko recollections about that mission. He says the decision to send three people was made by Baranov, their supervisor, who also went with them (another case of "then I'll do it myself"). The level of radiation was measured in advance, so they were not expecting to get dangerous dose, but they were afraid that something might go wrong, like valves get stuck or there will be no signs to find them. But everything went surprisingly well, he says he doesn't remember exact dose he got, but if it was something extraordinary like tens of roentgen, he would remember that. One dangerous moment was on the way back when they saw pile of highly radioactive rubble, radiometers went off scale and he felt metal taste in mouth. They had to run through this zone.

He describes it almost like it was work as usual by Chernobyl standards, maybe he is just being modest though.

True, but from what I read that would require much more powerful explosion than steam could cause. The only risk was additional damage to the remains of 4-th block walls and another significant release of radioactivity.

By the way, scientists also underestimated resilience of concrete pad. The corium didn't burn through it and cooling reactor from below wasn't required. If only it was known in advance.

19. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

20. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Playing this now, a new game made by Ice-Pick Lodge studio:

It's a survival horror, essentially a remake of their first "Pathologic". Quite challenging but interesting - seems the kind of game @Kyriakos may like.

Kyriakos likes this.