1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Russian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gelion, Oct 13, 2006.

1. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Well, you can try sites like lenta.ru or rbc.ru, but they are regular news sites. I don't know any of them which use simpler language.
    There are youtube videos with subtitles, movies and podcasts in Russian. I often read blogs at livejournal.com, many interesting people write there.
    But this content is in 99% cases written by native speakers for people who are fluent in Russian. The only sites with easier texts I know of, are language course sites.

2. Peuri

Peuri Game

Ok, thanks. There's local news in Russian on TV here, but you native speakers speak too fast. :lol:

3. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

I know but the crew is Russian apparently. I asked about that and got told they're Russian.

Some words are almost the same. Mama, papa for example. NZ kids use those words as well.

4. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Jeans, chips, coffee, hotel, bank, doctor, nose, lamp, class... hundreds of them :)
    But in general, Russian and English are quite different. Russian is very close to Ukrainian and Belorussian, to the point where people can understand each other.
    I occasionally watch videos from Ukraine and quite often there is a situation when two people talk to each other, one speaks in Russian and another replies in Ukrainian. It looks strange to me, but seems like they don't even notice it! I understand may be 80%-90% of what Ukrainian is saying despite I never learned their language.

5. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

I can read Cafe and bar in Russian.

This here isn't that different to New Zealand we had a similar spot where I grew up.

Head for the great out doors and fall in a river is fairly standard here.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Cool video! Strange that the guy pronounces Ufa in English way, with stress on the first syllable - in Russian we say Ufa instead.
    New Zealand has beautiful nature, I'd like to visit it some time. Though there are still too many places in Russia where I've never been yet.
    You may also like Altai mountains and Kamchatka - volcanoes, geysers and bears.

7. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Kamchatka has that valley of death with the poison gas.

Sergei probably makes it easier for his viewers. Moscow/Moskva.

Russia could probably make big money via tourism if the developed the infrastructure/training etc.

8. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Can our Slavic or Baltic friends identify the language?

9. Yeekim

Yeekim Warlord

Expected something slightly more exotic. :lol:

10. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

May be it won't be so easy for others :)

11. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Same singer, another East Slavic language

12. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Street protests in Moscow this weekend. Not as massive as yellow vests, but bigger than anything in previous couple of years (est. 10,000-20,000 people)
    Spoiler :

13. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

What are they protesting against/for ?

14. Миханя

Миханя Chieftain

All independent candidates running for Мосгордума (Moscow city government) were denied registration, so many people took to the streets to support them.

The pictures here are very sanitized because the actual protest turned very violent very fast, mostly because our police started beating people with their rubber batons and more. Many protesters were beaten until they started to bleed, including women, teenagers, and seniors. More than 1300 people have been detained.

15. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Several candidates were removed from elections to Moscow city Duma. Under false pretexts, according to the protesters.
    I didn't follow the issue closely, just reposted pictures made by Russian bloggers.

16. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Has Russia ever had a nice government?

17. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

The current one seems quite decent, comparing to whatever we had last 50 or may be even 100 years.
    By no means perfect, but it has genuine support of most people. The problem is that we still lack reliable power transition mechanism.
    Hopefully next government change will happen smoothly without destabilizing country or sliding into Trumpism.

18. AdamCrock

What sort of government Russia have exactly ? Enlightened Absolutism ? :D (joke) I know there's president Putin but I don't know much about the government structure. So how does it all work ?

19. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Russia is a federation and presidential republic. Formally it's a representative democracy with parliament and all three branches of power, but factually the parliament is dominated by United Russia (Putin's party) and the president has much more real power comparing to average Western country. I would describe it as soft autocracy, since opposition is prevented from getting serious political power, but people's personal freedoms are mostly unrestricted.

AdamCrock likes this.
  20. AdamCrock

What about regional government (Russia is really big) . You have some sort of semi-independent city governments ? (Duma - right ?) If not how does that woks ? How are regions organized ?