[RD] Ask a Schizoaffective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoaffective

I have been diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder at the age of 18, and I'm 20 now.

The disease is identical to Schizophrenia in the symptoms, but different in what triggers them.

I have got permission to make this thread from birdjaguar.

Feel free to ask anything you like, but deliberately mean comments such as "how does it feel being crazy" will be ignored and reported.

Thanks and ask away

What do you mean by "The disease is identical to Schizophrenia in the symptoms, but different in what triggers them"? Can you elaborate more on the differences between schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder?

What do you mean by "The disease is identical to Schizophrenia in the symptoms, but different in what triggers them"? Can you elaborate more on the differences between schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder?

The symptoms, i.e seeing/hearing things that aren't real/ delusional beliefs are the same.

What causes those things to come out are different. For Schizoaffective, the mood of a person seems to be the main thing that triggers it.

Do you view your schizoaffective perspective as something of value and benefit, or is it a heavy burden to bear?

Do you view your schizoaffective perspective as something of value and benefit, or is it a heavy burden to bear?

That's a good question. Heavy burden to bear all the way. In fact it makes me have quite a inferiority complex and that I've got to prove myself to the world.

The only "value" whatsoever is that I have unconventional answers to some things- but I would easily trade that gift for better memory and being able to take care of myself better.

I'm making an assumption here that you're on some of the newer generations of medications. How are the side effects? Were you ever on anything older?

I'm making an assumption here that you're on some of the newer generations of medications. How are the side effects? Were you ever on anything older?

Yes I'm taking second generation meds. I don't know anyone with this type of mental illness who isn't.

I take Saphris which is certainly a newer medicine, and before that I took Latuda (also a newer medicine) and before that I took Abilify (still a relatively newer medicine)

So to answer your question, yes. Newer meds.

As to the side effects: More than anything else, is that I fidget a lot. I mean, I have to tap my fingers or toes all the time and things like that.

So, unless you're tapping your fingers raw, I take it the side effects aren't horrendous?

I want to applaud you for making this thread. It's something beyond my courage.

So, unless you're tapping your fingers raw, I take it the side effects aren't horrendous?

I want to applaud you for making this thread. It's something beyond my courage.

Oh the side effects of the medicine aren't that bad. Its the job the medicine doesn't get done- My memory is terrible. I'm only 20 and you'd think I have althimerz disease.

I have trouble focusing, even at critical times such as while on the road. I'm also very disorganized.

And as for me having the courage to make this thread, thank you. I know some of the people here will flame me, although I won't name names.

Don't pay attention to the flamers, how sad can one be to try to flame anyway?

Good luck with recovering. Keep in mind that drugs are there not to solve the problem, but merely so as to ideally allow you some more space to work through it yourself. They take away to some degree the symptoms, but it is your work to build-up the eternal negation of them.
Also i heard from a psychiatrist that in cases of schizophrenia or related disorders usually the drugs work very well and fast, due to the person not really meaning to be in this state of openess in regards to the (relative) depths of his internal world. The drugs will close the corridors towards the depths, and the person can return to "normal" consciousness.

Anyway i wish you manage to get to the point you want to be in, whatever that is :)

are you involved in any other treatment modality (psychotherapy, group, etc) other than medication management?

if so or if not, how often do you see your doctor and/or attend therapy?

can you "tell" when you begin to experience symptoms of psychosis? are there any prodromal symptoms ("warning signs") you are aware of?

Don't pay attention to the flamers, how sad can one be to try to flame anyway?

Good luck with recovering. Keep in mind that drugs are there not to solve the problem, but merely so as to ideally allow you some more space to work through it yourself. They take away to some degree the symptoms, but it is your work to build-up the eternal negation of them.
Also i heard from a psychiatrist that in cases of schizophrenia or related disorders usually the drugs work very well and fast, due to the person not really meaning to be in this state of openess in regards to the (relative) depths of his internal world. The drugs will close the corridors towards the depths, and the person can return to "normal" consciousness.

Anyway i wish you manage to get to the point you want to be in, whatever that is :)

Thank you for this information. :)

Can you elaborate a bit on what 'delusional beliefs' might entail?

Things utterly ridiculous such as "God will allow me to become rich and famous if I do such and such" or the one I had when I was 18: "The CIA is tracking my every move and knows my thoughts"

are you involved in any other treatment modality (psychotherapy, group, etc) other than medication management?

if so or if not, how often do you see your doctor and/or attend therapy?

can you "tell" when you begin to experience symptoms of psychosis? are there any prodromal symptoms ("warning signs") you are aware of?

Yes, I go to NAMI meetings, as well as the nami online forum. I go to a therapist about twice a month or so. I do see a psychiatrist, I would say about once every 3 months.

It is to be noted that there is a difference between delusional beliefs an arrogance. For example, someone without a mental condition could believe "if I practice the guitar really hard I will one day become a rock star". This is an arrogant belief, but not delusional because there is no way to PROVE that he's wrong. It's just improbable. Delusional would be "there are aliens on mars, and I am communicating with them" because everyone knows there is no life on mars.

Does that make sense?

Glad you found the information of use :)

The fact that you understand the difference between delusion and megalomanic/arrogant thought shows that you have shielded yoruself from the bulk of delusions (at least i would expect so). Most people are not really aware of their psychical make-up, so you are already one step ahead of them.

The symptoms, i.e seeing/hearing things that aren't real/ delusional beliefs are the same.

What causes those things to come out are different. For Schizoaffective, the mood of a person seems to be the main thing that triggers it.
Interesting. How are the prospects of you actually being able to control your mood, and so to speak roll with the punches to consciously mitigate the effects of this?

Is this disorder common among Coldplay fans ? I mean, this does explain a lot of things.

Moderator Action: Out of place in the conversation and inappropriate for the topic and nature of the thread. RD threads deserve better.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I sometimes wonder if I have something similar to schizophrenia. What sort of symptoms should I look for?

For example, someone without a mental condition could believe "if I practice the guitar really hard I will one day become a rock star". This is an arrogant belief, but not delusional because there is no way to PROVE that he's wrong. It's just improbable. Delusional would be "there are aliens on mars, and I am communicating with them" because everyone knows there is no life on mars.

Does that make sense?

yes, but my question referred to whether you were able to recognize early signs and symptoms that your condition was worsening....for example, some individuals become more withdrawn or their sleep patterns change....since it is generally considered beneficial to deal with an exacerbation asap

How does it differ from manic depression? Other than frequency of delusions and/or av hallucinations. If it happens during amplitudes of either episodes I'm having trouble seeing the difference.

I sometimes wonder if I have something similar to schizophrenia. What sort of symptoms should I look for?

Quoting from wiki:

Criteria

The ICD-10 criteria are typically used in European countries, while the DSM-IV-TR criteria are used in the United States and the rest of the world, and are prevailing in research studies. The ICD-10 criteria put more emphasis on Schneiderian first-rank symptoms. In practice, agreement between the two systems is high.[63]

According to the revised fourth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR), to be diagnosed with schizophrenia, three diagnostic criteria must be met:[64]

Characteristic symptoms: Two or more of the following, each present for much of the time during a one-month period (or less, if symptoms remitted with treatment).
Delusions
Hallucinations
Disorganized speech, which is a manifestation of formal thought disorder
Grossly disorganized behavior (e.g. dressing inappropriately, crying frequently) or catatonic behavior
Negative symptoms: Blunted affect (lack or decline in emotional response), alogia (lack or decline in speech), or avolition (lack or decline in motivation)

If the delusions are judged to be bizarre, or hallucinations consist of hearing one voice participating in a running commentary of the patient's actions or of hearing two or more voices conversing with each other, only that symptom is required above. The speech disorganization criterion is only met if it is severe enough to substantially impair communication.

Social or occupational dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations, or self-care, are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset.
Significant duration: Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least six months. This six-month period must include at least one month of symptoms (or less, if symptoms remitted with treatment).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia#Criteria

Top Bottom