1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Vegetarian/Vegan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cybrxkhan, Oct 24, 2011.

1. vyapti

vyapti Prince

I still wouldn't eat meat. There's comfort in knowing that I don't contribute to the factory farming industry ... or at least minimize my contribution. Even if factory meat production were sustainable, which it isn't, it wouldn't discount the food politics that support and subsidize meat production and the crops they consume.

I love to cook and experiment. My favorite cuisines are Indian and Italian. I mix and match traditions indiscriminately. I've made Indian dishes with tofu or temeph, even black eyed pea vindaloo. I've used chickpeas in chow mein (which was kinda weird). I've made spaghetti with red lentils & spianch. Chickpeas and cashews are awesome for cream sauces.

This was good. I made mung bean dosas with spinach & tofu filling and a red pepper sauce.

There's been talk of vat-grown meat. If they ever actually do this, I don't think I'll partake. It doesn't sound appealing. I do eat seitan (vital wheat gluten) which has a meat-like texture and simulate a 'meaty' texture in other ways. I don't know if I can reconcile that dichotomy.

I'm a big proponent of Vitamin D supplements, especially in Oregon where the sun goes away for 6 months a year. They add it to things like milk and orange juice, but not nearly enough.

In most other ways, a varied vegan diet is healthy and has many benefits. An unhealthy vegan diet can be quite unhealthy. Animal sourced Iron is better absorbed than vegetable sourced. There are plenty of vegetable sources of calcium, but not in french fries and processed soy-whatevers.

Generally speaking, a vegan diet is low in saturated fat, void of cholesterol, and high in fiber. It's obviously a good diet for heart conditions. It's been linked to lower cancer rates, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis. Proponents say a vegan diet will make you immortal. Opponents say it will turn Mr T into a blubbering man-boob. I think that, logically it makes for a healthier, more balanced diet.

Just because we don't eat it, doesn't mean a dead animal is wasted.

Agriculture subsidies are set up entirely to make meat less expensive. And so it is. That being said, a diet that revolves around beans, grains & veggies and is made in the kitchen (as opposed to the freezer aisle) can be very inexpensive. Because of subsidized meat prices and a lower demand for vegan convenience foods, a convenient vegan diet can be quite expensive.

2. vyapti

vyapti Prince

I honestly have never thought much of them. I would definitely read an "ask a fruititarian" thread.

I like this answer =)

3. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

What do you about meat substitutes in general? Can you like a meat substitute dish a lot or is it just some mostly undelicious weird middles ground be between meat eating (delicious) and vegetarian food (delicious)?

4. vyapti

vyapti Prince

For me, that middle ground was when I first went vegetarian. It was when I would just take the meat out of the meals I used to cook or, often worse, replace it with something like tofu. I usually don't cook or eat anymore with the intent of replacing the meat, but to cook with the ingredient I want to use.

I make most of my meat substitutes. I make burgers (which don't much resemble their meat counterparts), sausage links (which I usually grind for sauces & gravy) and seitan (which I slice thin for sandwiches). Burgers are the only thing I make often. There are a few store bought fake meats that I use, but not many. I find that texture of meat is the most appealing aspect for me.

5. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

I have came across some realy deliciouss meat substitutes but thats not realy close to be a rule. Actualy something can start as a meat substitude and develope into some pretty good processed food in its own right. So it depends case by case.

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I've lived with meat substitutes my entire life, so using them is as natural to me as using normal meat for most non-vegetarians. I don't like or not like it - it's just... natural for me to use it.

That being said, I know some vegetarians (and non-vegetarians) who hate the idea of imitation meat. Their logic is that if you want to be vegetarian, why are you trying to eat something that's like meat in the first place?

7. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

If "meat" cells could be cultured without being part of a living being would you still consider the resulting food meat for ethical/spiritual purposes?

Also, would/do you keep carnivorous pets?

8. Arwon

Arwon

For what it's worth, the best vegetarian burgers I've had were not even attempting to imitate meat. Instead they had things like pieces of of roast eggplant and capscium, or a slab of fried tofu, or a spiced chickpea pattie. Yum.

9. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

It depends on how the meat cells are made. If we disregard that, then I would say probably yes, because then it wouldn't really be different than eating imitation meat in the sense that it's supposed to be meat but it's not coming from a slaughtered animal.

For me, most likely no. Since I'm also vegetarian for ethical reasons, if I did have pets, I'd try to ensure that they were pets that could feed on vegetarian stuff. That aside, me and my brother used to have some fish when we were little, and we had no choice but to feed them meat products since that's all that were sold.

10. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

My cousin's husband is an Hindu and he did not know that cheeseburgers had cow in it, but he said that it was delicious though. :lol:

How many fellow vegetarians/vegans do you know who are the "meat is murder' variety?

I really hate those kinds of people, since eating food is a personal choice. I don't mind people promoting the vegetarian lifestyle but promoting the health benefits or if they think it will help the environment.

11. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I do think meat is murder, to bluntly put it. However, I don't really go around trying to convince people to become vegetarians or vegans. There's really no point. Most people won't or can't do it, and plus many people don't care what I would say anyways, so I don't try to push it on them.

For me, the thing is, I get annoyed when non-vegetarians try to convince me to give up vegetarianism. It's really annoying especially since I usually don't convince them to become vegetarians, so why should they bother trying to convince me? I also really hate it when some non-vegetarians do the "eating plants is murder" thing.

But as you say, eating food is a personal choice, even if I have strong opinions about it. There's really no point pushing it on others. Some vegetarians I know have done that sort of thing, particularly my father, and I can just tell that he was really annoying the people he was trying to convince. It just doesn't work that way. It's easier to make them vegetarian if they genuinely want to become vegetarian, from my experience, not when they're forced to.

12. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

That reminds me of some Muslims I knew in the US who were eating pork rinds until they found out it was pork. They thought they were just chips.

The practicing Buddhists I knew in China all ate meat but they never fixed it at home, they only ate it at people's homes or when going out to eat with others. Of course Buddhism varies a lot by country.

13. Pacioli

Pacioli Prince

What are your favorite websites for making vegetarian meals?

14. squall78

squall78 Prince

I find it very hard to go vegetarian unless I'm getting junk food (Panda Express, pizzas, etc). Not so much trying to go all out but I modify my diet to not put too much junk in me if I can help it.

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I don't know any, sorry. :(

However, I'm pretty sure many of the recipe websites probably have vegetarian sections. Even if they don't have, I don't think it's too hard to find recipes that are vegetarian or could easily be turned vegetarian by using meat substitues.

16. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

what spices are used or do you use in vegan meals?

what do you think of the possible links between animal protein and disease?

the heart disease is obvious (clogged arteries) but I've read even milk given to babies may cause type 1 diabetes by triggering an immune attack on pancreatic cells responsible for producing insulin.

17. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I like to use Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute in most of my meals - I kind of grew up on it. I also like basil, garlic, and occasionally hot peppers.

I think it all makes sense. Any type of diet will have certain risks with it, after all. As much as I'd like to say "Harhar, you evil meat-eaters, your diet will make you ill!", again, every diet has certain health advantages and disadvantages, and I think it's important that you know how to manage them.

18. vyapti

vyapti Prince

I have cats and chickens. I feed the cats chicken-based cat food, but not my chickens. I would say most of the vegans/vegetarians have pets. Dogs can have a healthy plant based diet, but cats cannot.

I agree. My favorite burgers are chickpeas with cumin & cilantro. I also make burgers out of oats & hazelnuts.

I don't know any confrontational vegans. I've been known to have a heated discourse about food politics, but its more of a "this is what Monsanto does" rather than "don't put that in your mouth." I've never wrapped myself in cellophane.

vegweb.org is popular, although I don't care for it. I read blogs for inspiration. This month is the Vegan Month of Food. The VeganMoFo site is littered with vegan food blogs.

I cook with far more variety than I ever did as an omnivore. I keep about 70 dried herbs & spices on hand and grow a dozen or so herbs. Indian spices, I think, are more common amongst vegetarians because that cuisine is so vegetarian friendly.

I like this site (The Vegan RD). She's pretty balanced about the pros and cons of a vegan diet and talks about things you should look out for. She is vegan, so she has an inherent bias. I'm not qualified to make any specific nutritional claims, but I do think dairy causes more problems than it solves.

19. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I can understand your hatred of Monsanto. I have them too. They are just a plain evil company and they doing untold damage without any oversight from the government, since basically the government agencies responsible for their oversight are basically arms of Monsanto, since most people in the FDA once worked there.

20. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

:bump:

I started being a vegetarian a few days ago, and I already have an issue. What are some vegetarian sandwich ideas? I just went to a sandwich store today and didn't know what to order...