Ask a Young Earth Creationist 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then there is the omphalist explanation that God made it that way.
Which of course prompts questions like: Why is an omni-benevolent God creating a universe with the seeming purpose of lying to his children?
Exactly. If a god actually exists but is deceitful and deceptive, why bother to worship him/her/it at all? Everything else he/she/it says is likely to also be a trick and a lie, so why spend your life "serving" him/her/it?

Which of course prompts questions like: Why is an omni-benevolent God creating a universe with the seeming purpose of lying to his children?

Exactly. If a god actually exists but is deceitful and deceptive, why bother to worship him/her/it at all? Everything else he/she/it says is likely to also be a trick and a lie, so why spend your life "serving" him/her/it?

Deceit is not the only possible explanation; what if God rather liked the idea of an ancient universe but She was under some sort of time crunch? Or whatever the possible explanation, trying to trick us into damnation (presumably, otherwise why get so upset) isn't the only.

I have questions:

After the Earth was without form or void, but covered by water, God made the firmament calling it "Heaven". God used this "Heaven" to separate the waters, waters that were already there.

Given that, how can "Heaven" be the universe?

We're told the earth existed, but was in some other form that ~disqualified it as "Earth". How did God define "Earth"? This planet? But God didn't create the waters.

When the Earth finally makes its appearance in Genesis, its the name God gave to the "dry land" exposed by the receding waters.

So if the story of Heaven and Earth are not about the universe, YEC dont need to explain starlight ;)

Deceit is not the only possible explanation; what if God rather liked the idea of an ancient universe but She was under some sort of time crunch? Or whatever the possible explanation, trying to trick us into damnation (presumably, otherwise why get so upset) isn't the only.

Yah, but the simplest explanation of them all is that things are actually as old as they appear.

Yah, but the simplest explanation of them all is that things are actually as old as they appear.

Well, yes, but that has nothing to do with my comment.

And remember I don't actually believe in a "young" universe . . .

If it's omnipotent, then one can assume that it could simulate the entire history of our universe on a computer instantaneously (as omnipotence implies the ability to build an infinitely powerful computer), and thus there is no fundamental difference between a second and ten billion years of history from the deity's perspective.

Why do the vast majority of Christian scientists believe in evolution?

Because they're mistaken/refuse to admit the truth/refuse to accept the evidence, just like the vast majority of non-Christian scientists.

Their whole schtick is that they are supported by the evidence. Just because millions of others believe something that contradicts the evidence doesn't make a bit of difference to the evidence itself.

Of course, that begs the question 'show us the evidence', which they're usually pretty reticent about doing.

And it also makes you wonder why they forget that they've said 'just because lots of people believe it doesn't make it right' when talk moves on to other topics they're interested in, i.e. dictating morals for everyone.

Then there is the omphalist explanation that God made it that way.

Which is one tiny step removed from Last Tuesday-ism. That is, the belief that the universe was created last Tuesday, complete with all of us and our (fake) memories of everything that supposedly happened before then.

And only one tiny step further along, we find Next Tuesday-ism. That is, the belief that the universe hasn't actually been created yet and won't be until next Tuesday, and what we think to be our current perception of everything is merely our (fake) memories of what's supposedly happening now, which will be created along with everything else next Tuesday.

I have questions:

After the Earth was without form or void, but covered by water, God made the firmament calling it "Heaven". God used this "Heaven" to separate the waters, waters that were already there.

Given that, how can "Heaven" be the universe?

We're told the earth existed, but was in some other form that ~disqualified it as "Earth". How did God define "Earth"? This planet? But God didn't create the waters.

When the Earth finally makes its appearance in Genesis, its the name God gave to the "dry land" exposed by the receding waters.
Hebrews used the same word often with multiple meanings. Heaven in Hebrew is one of these words. it can refer to the upper atmosphere, or to the universe outside of earth, or to the place where God and his followers and angels live. An intelligent guess which meaning is relevant can usually be guessed from its context.
In Genesis ch 1 where it talks about the water, Heaven is the atmosphere. God separatd the waters into 2 bodies, 1 on earth for the oceans and lakes etc, and also a large body of water suspended in the upper atmosphere. This 2nd body of water collapsed and fell to earth during the time of Noah's flood. The existence of the body of water dispersed through the upper atmosphere resulted in a climate totally unlike todays climate.
The water absorped and dispersed the suns heat, so that the the temperature on earth was almost constant. With no temperature variations, there was no wind, no clouds, no rain, no rainbow. Humidity was virtually 100% and as the earth cooled marginally each night did reach 100% causing a mist to water the earth each night. The fossil record which shows tropical/subtropical growth over the whole earth reflects this climate.

I am willing to bet that what is taken literally and what is assumed to be a metaphor will seem arbitrary to you, but will depend on the individual and what they think science has demonstrated.

I betcha the majority won't seem arbitrary. I betcha most of the 'metaphor' will be common wisdom conflicting with literal statements. I betcha most of the 'literally' will be things that fit the common wisdom, too :)

Jesus said that sinful thoughts come from the heart. In common parlance, this is certainly a metaphorical statement. I wouldn't be surprised if it was interpreted thusly. Now, I would be surprised if there was some neuroscience innovation along that statement! Unfortunately, the statement fits the science (not just poetry) of the day: it's what Jewish doctors believed.

OR: "A thousand years is a day to the Lord" is more amusing given our knowledge of relativity!

Hebrews used the same word often with multiple meanings. Heaven in Hebrew is one of these words. it can refer to the upper atmosphere, or to the universe outside of earth, or to the place where God and his followers and angels live. An intelligent guess which meaning is relevant can usually be guessed from its context. In Genesis ch 1 where it talks about the water, Heaven is the atmosphere. God separatd the waters into 2 bodies, 1 on earth for the oceans and lakes etc, and also a large body of water suspended in the upper atmosphere.

Therefore "Heaven" is not the universe, its some barrier used to divide the waters.

This 2nd body of water collapsed and fell to earth during the time of Noah's flood. The existence of the body of water dispersed through the upper atmosphere resulted in a climate totally unlike todays climate. The water absorped and dispersed the suns heat, so that the the temperature on earth was almost constant. With no temperature variations, there was no wind, no clouds, no rain, no rainbow. Humidity was virtually 100% and as the earth cooled marginally each night did reach 100% causing a mist to water the earth each night. The fossil record which shows tropical/subtropical growth over the whole earth reflects this climate.

The fossil record shows continental drift, but where did the water go?

This is ask a Young Earth Creationist, not ask sanabas. :rolleyes:

It fits what little I know of YEC, though.

Which is one tiny step removed from Last Tuesday-ism. That is, the belief that the universe was created last Tuesday, complete with all of us and our (fake) memories of everything that supposedly happened before then.

It's basically the same thing, yes.

And only one tiny step further along, we find Next Tuesday-ism. That is, the belief that the universe hasn't actually been created yet and won't be until next Tuesday, and what we think to be our current perception of everything is merely our (fake) memories of what's supposedly happening now, which will be created along with everything else next Tuesday.

Which is fun. Especially because it can't be disproven, although there is no reason to believe it anyways.

Do you believe that religious thought should progress and adapt to the times, or would you prefer religion to stagnate into irrelevance?

I am a Christian myself, but I believe in evolution and absolutely do not believe in creationism. Creationism is a metaphoric story, like the entirety of the bible. Religious texts are not historical documents, and when it has been obectively discovered that the earth is billions of years old it's time to re-read the bible with a different perspective and see what you make of it then. There was no Garden of Eden, there was no and-on-the-seventh-day-he-rested, they are stories and metaphors.

In my opinion religious ignorance, because this is ultimately what this is, is just as bad as religious extremism. Both are leading causes of the decline of religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom