Ask an Arab in France

HannibalBarka

We are Free
In the long series of "Ask a X", I don't think any one started one about Arabs, well there aren't many around.
I am tunisian born, spent half my life (ie 19 years) there and the other half (ie 17) in Paris and 3 years in NYC.
Although I don't know if I ethnically am Arab, Berber, Jewish or Goth (the Vandals ruled Tunisia in 6th century), I am nevertheless "culturally" Arab (and french :D )

whos your avatar

Do you like French people?

Do you like French people?

I love them, literally ;) (I married a french girl 10 yeas ago)
More seriously, yes I really do. I know that there are some stupid french out there, some of them openly hate me for what I am, but that is the case in all countries, and all in all I love french people and do consider myself to be one of them.

Although born in a muslim family, I am an atheist. My family is not very religious actually, my dad never went to a mosque before he was 60 I think.

I read your sig after I posted. Doh! One more. Even though your family is not very religous do they eat pork? Do you ever cook up a pound of bacon as a form of religious protest?

Is alcohol fairly easy to find in Tunisia, and is it generally consumed?

Do you speak Arabic?

How about Verlan? :D

I read your sig after I posted. Doh! One more. Even though your family is not very religous do they eat pork? Do you ever cook up a pound of bacon as a form of religious protest?

My family is in Tunisia and I don't think you can even find porc there. In all cases, I don't think they would, since it is not only religious, but cultural. People in Islamic countries find porc disgusting just like Brits find frog legs disgusting. One of my uncle threw his dinner when he knew it was porc, although he is an atheist. I started eating porc only after some 5 years living in France

After so many times staring at your avatar, could we see a larger picture of it? :D

My name is arab, though i'm european looking. Its kind of funny and weird how people look at me when i say my name whenever i have paper stuff to do, at the Mairie, Sécurité Sociale and such. Its the same reaction when i hang out with magrebhins, when they hear my name they stare at me and ask, how come? HEH. Anyway its from my Grand Father who was Algerian (Kabylie) and settled in France in the late 40's.

Anyway, how did you react to the 2002 élection with Lepen reaching the 2nd turn?

You are indicating that you encounter tangible prejudice in Paris because of your visible ethnicity? Do you have an example?

Face to face: only once, I was on vacation celebrating Bayonne's Feria.
But there are people in France that are openly racist. Although I am not the usual victim of racism being college educated and richer than the average french.

Your friend is dreamy :)

I know ;)

After so many times staring at your avatar, could we see a larger picture of it? :D
My name is arab, though i'm european looking. Its kind of funny and weird how people look at me when i say my name whenever i have paper stuff to do, at the Mairie, Sécurité Sociale and such. Its the same reaction when i hang out with magrebhins, when they hear my name they stare at me and ask, how come? HEH. Anyway its from my Grand Father who was Algerian (Kabylie) and settled in France in the late 40's.
Anyway, how did you react to the 2002 élection with Lepen reaching the 2nd turn?

I was living in NYC when that happened. I wasn't really "shoked" as I know that about 1/6 of french population votes Le Pen. My brittan wife was more concerned and ashamed about that.

Where does your family originate from?

Are you Tunisian, or French? (I'm speaking culturally and mentally more than anything)

Top Bottom