1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask an atheist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Askthepizzaguy, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Would a long-form birth certificate of the son or daughter of a deity make you a believer of that deity?

2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Are you asking how the world (earth) came into being, or how the universe came into being?

If it is the world, then it formed from the dust and gas from a supernova in our area (our sun is a second generation star). As the temperature dropped parts of the dust began to coalesce which began to get larger and larger until planets formed by removing all of the dust and particles in their area. After that my knowledge gets a bit sketchier, but I believe the gravitational pull from the planet began to melt the core and various impacts started us spinning. For proof of this, you have to look at the materials stars produce in fusion. The heaviest element a star can produce in fusion during its life is Iron. Any heavier elements are produce in a nova. Because we have elements heavier then iron on Earth, it shows that earth formed in the dust cloud of a nova.

For the start of the universe, the question is pointless. Prior to the big bang we were in a singularity: effectively a dimentionless point with infinite mass that cannot exist in our current mathematical structure. We can guess at what was happening just after the Big Bang, but we don't know what was happening prior to the Big Bang.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

The same way the "higher being" could come into being.

4. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

How can a higher being come to be without ...?

If the first question is necessary, then isn't the second also necessary?

I'd hope so. I don't think I should need to put a label on me for missing a non-natural property that others have, but if I have to I'd label myself an Adoxist (thanks to Plotinus for helping me arrive at that term). :)

5. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

So your saying the universe is God? Since God basically caused himself to self exist and yet every cosmology has the universe starting, so therefore it had a beginning and therefore it had a cause.

6. holy king

holy king Deity

where in the bible does it say god caused himself to exist?

7. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

No, we're not saying the Universe is a god. We don't ascribe any consciousness, personality nor will to the universe.

The comparison is that if something like a god can create itself out of nothing, then why is it impossible that something like a universe could be created out of nothing? If a god created itself then the god's consciousness must have been created at that same time. So if one unconscious thing can create itself out of non-existence, then there shouldn't be any reason why another unconscious thing can create itself out of non-existence.

8. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

See, to me it seems that "God" is a human construct to explain the origins of the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

Does this mean that he doesn't exist? No, of course not. However, I think it is highly unlikely that God (from the Bible, no way to know about a deity in general) exists in the manner he is presented in the Bible. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

9. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

God has always existed. I still don't see how the universe can exist without a creator. Nothing good comes from explosions and accidents, the Big Bang is simply undefendible logically.

10. CELTICEMPIRE

thats for the false religions, Christianity teaches God as saviour, creator, redeemer, etc.

11. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

This thread is "Ask and atheist", not "tell an atheist about your beliefs." :)

12. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

That is fine, but don't try and hide behind poor logic to justify your beliefs.

Huh? No entiendo senor.
    (I don't recall how to get the tilda on the n. Bite me. :p)

13. holy king

holy king Deity

how is it possilbe that god has always existed?

where the hell did he come from?

14. MikeL49NYVI

MikeL49NYVI Warlord

Ask an Athiest!!

I saw this and said "Sure why not? Everone else has their thread, let them have one too."

Just to get this out of the way, for the record. I am a Fundamentalist, Literal Bible Believing, Born Again, Christian.

(Hi Ziggy I thought I'd find you here, ;) )

I do have a question, but first an observation. For the few of you who feel like it is clever and a mark of intelligence to throw out abusive and mocking names to others who do not share your particular views: A minister friend once told me that the mark of maturity of a person is defined by how he treats others.
    "He who has ears to hear, let him hear" :mischief:

Anyway I always wanted to ask an Athiest this:
    Do athiets believe a human has a soul?

15. holy king

holy king Deity

there is no such thing as a soul, we have found out that that rather big organ in our heads is where our conscious is being calculated some time ago, so why would i believe in it?

16. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Most don't, I think. Technically, however, you can believe in a soul-body dualism without believing in God. Heck, even afterlife technically doesn't require God.

17. CELTICEMPIRE

why do so many Atheists act like elitists towards other people's beliefs?

18. holy king

holy king Deity

idk, why dont you stop beating your wife?

19. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

You can't! :mwaha: Basically, you have to gamble every time you 'choose' to believe someone, using a combination of intuitions and logics to figure out if the person is being honest!

1)Opportunity cost of worship
    2) Lots of people suggesting that worshipping 'false gods' is a bad idea. Each god that I've been presented with leaves me enough doubt about its existence that I'm worried about pissing off the real gods.

Hell, even the 10 commandments agrees! "Thou shalt have no other gods before me". I'm having 'no other gods'. Before the real god. I can always choose the real god later, it seems. But I certainly may not have other gods first! ;)

3) Finally, some of the gods presented would be immoral to worship. Even if it would be in my self-interest, it would still be wrong.
    There're a few ways to 'make me believe' in God.

Well, supernatural evidence is one way.
    I already think that the existence of a God is possible. I just don't think it's likely. A real solution to the problem of evil would help. And a solution to the problem of "people cannot tell when they're not talking to God" would help if we were talking about personal gods.

From practical experience, I suspect sudden-onset schizophrenia would make me believe in God. As well, there seem to be at least a couple types of brain damage that force people to believe in God, too.

I'm not saying believers are brain damaged, just that brain damage can make you believe. By analogy, I'm not saying that left-handed people are brain damaged, but we do know that brain damage can make your left hand the dominant hand!
    worlds seem to be a natural consequence of adding entropy to our type of universe. As to what caused our universe? :dunno: There're currently too many viable theories to choose amongst, with no idea that we've even gotten the correct one. My best estimate is that we need more math whizzes who're willing to spend some time on a physics PhD before they go and get normal jobs.

I used to be :)
    I'm agnostic on the concept. I think that a materialistic explanation is the most parsimonious, and that the people who claim to 'prove' otherwise seem to be blind to their awful standards-of-proof.

20. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

I try not to act that way. Although, it's human nature to think your beliefs are better than everyone else's (obviously, or you wouldn't hold to those beliefs).

That said, isn't it hypocritical for you to accuse atheists of acting elitist? You believe that you're going to enjoy eternal paradise, while you also believe that everyone who doesn't share your beliefs is going to suffer eternal torment. That's not elitist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.