1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask an Evangelical IV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GhostWriter16, Aug 30, 2012.

1. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

OP more or less to be found here. It was not followed last time since it was in the chamber. It is my hope that things will run more smoothly in the Chamber. This thread is a Red Diamond.

Just to clear up something that was NOT cleared up last time, but regarding humorous questions, if you have a serious question that may have humorous implications (See El Mac's question about the Tennessee Titans to know what I'm talking about ) you can ask it but please don't ask several "Bizarre" questions in a short period of time. The thread should be predominated by serious questions.

Ask away, under the same rules as the third thread linked above.

Any and all Evangelical Christians are welcome to answer questions, and anyone is welcome to ask questions.

So, ask away:)

2. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

If your parents tell you to clean up your room, you might think it unnecessary, but you'll (for the sake of argument) obey their orders anyway (assuming their nasty people who order you around). Similarly, is there anything in the Bible that you actually disagree with? Of course, you'll obey what's there whether you agree with it or not, but is there anything that, were it not in the Bible, you'd take a different opinion on?

3. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Lightening strikes fast around here. Normally false prophets get stoned, although the prophecy was not false. This post will not make sense to most though. Is there a reason why no one answered the question on the Holy Spirit? I am curious what other's views are on the subject.

It could have been slightly clearer on time tables for a better grasp on historical events.

4. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Emperor

So if you have a revelation and have been revealed as the Messiah, can you then gather up many people who wish to follow you?

5. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Do you believe that God foreordains and renders certain everything without exception for his glory?

6. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Do you use cool Bible words in everyday conversation like "begat"?

If so what are your favorite old-timey Bible words?

7. timtofly

timtofly One Day

There can only be one Messiah ever. It is not something that happens out of the blue. It was planned from the beginning of time and will be revealed at the end of time. From a Biblical standpoint, one cannot just declare oneself as a Messiah and form a following.

Now if God knows the end from the beginning, does that mean He can influences what He Knows?

What I post is basically what I would say in any day to day conversation.

8. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

So why didn't God start all this Jesusy stuff at the getgo, why did He wait all those millennia before revealing it?

9. JollyRoger

Do you believe that heresy diminishes or reduces God’s glory by robbing God of some of his glory?

10. Der Golem

Der Golem Chieftain

I think He did that for the reason because a lot of believers weren't living up to His "standards". So He threw in all that Jesusy stuff to put mankind back to His "standards."

11. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Well, my parents are fallible and so, even though I'm supposed to obey them, they can actually be wrong. The Bible, on the other hand, can't be wrong on anything (According to my beliefs.)

So, if I "Disagree" with the Bible, I am the one who's wrong. There are some Biblical concepts, however, that I do in fact find difficult to accept. I had great difficulty with Romans 13 until I saw the context. And there are probably a million things in Leviticus that only applied to the old covenant but I still couldn't tell you why the heck they were there.

12. JollyRoger

How do you know which ones only apply to the old covenant?

13. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Longsuffering. Mercy. Grace. I suppose that there are some who think that God is a monster for letting humans have their own way, since having it in a cursed world is a horrible idea. No, pun intended but if everything was perfect it may drive imperfect people crazy. If people were perfect and things around them were not, they would question God also. There was perfection for a time period and humans wanted more. It seems that the more humans demand their own way, the worse things get. Even when God gave us Jesus, things did not change, so the timing really does not matter. Would you have not wanted knowledge? That seems to be the crux of it all. Being able to think on one's own, or forced into a perfect mold. IMO, trying to figure God out is more enjoyable than knowing it all. Maybe others like to know it all and just sit back and think they are in control, when they are not.

I don't think that heresy robs God of his glory at all. If a human thinks that he is that powerful, he is not thinking properly. Heresay is anything that turns another away from the truth. When that happens nobody wins, but every one looses, and the one spreading the lies, will be held accountable more than those who followed them.

14. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Actually, amazingly, yes!

With lego, you would have to shake the bucket really hard, but try this:

Take a load of paper clips, put them in a pot and shake for a minute. You will find some of them have joined together.

Instead of paper clips, take a few zillion amino acid chains, leave out in the open subject to cosmic rays, earthquakes, and stuff for 1.5 billion years - what might you find?

Leave the results out in the open for another 3.5 billion years - and hey, here I am! And you! Just amazing!

Hello, you.

:wavey:

edit:
    Note well the bolded.

15. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Will there be anything around in 2 billion years to test that may hypothesis? Things can also form in days and years. Time is only a concept that troubles modern man. If God did it, would it be any less amazing than if it did it on it's own? Not to mention that God has a "hand" in everything that is going on in the universe.

16. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Well, that would assume that things don't (or might not) continue, largely, the way that they seem to do. Or that they haven't so continued, largely, in the past.

To be honest, it bothers me not a bit. I'm here now, however I got here, and whatever my ultimate destination might be. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

17. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That's the appeal to incredulity and you can make anything sound silly to those who don't know differently, whether that's the Bible, modern physics or chemistry and so on.

18. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Who asked about blasphemy against the holy spirit? Was it me?

Look what I found:

source

Is that really it? Why would anyone do that? Why would it be unforgivable?

So many questions. So few answers.

19. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Is this a common view among Evangelicals?

And does it mean - literally - everything?
    The Mars rover Curiosity's laser beam?
    The third virtual particle to wink into existence next to the black hole of the galaxy 8 in from the edge of the visible universe?
    Stalin's forced labor camp at the old Archangelsk monastery?

How does god interact with the Universe?

Why is such a negligible fraction of the Universe suitable for human occupation? Seems like an incredibly inefficient waste of resources, if you ask me.

20. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

That is correct to my knowledge, although this isn't clearly explained anywhere to my knowledge.

The idea behind blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is that if you receive such a manifest revelation of God and yet still reject it, there is no way you would accept it. Basically, you've reached a point that no matter what God did to get you to believe (Short of outright force) you would reject it. So its unforgivable because it is fundamentally impossible to repent of it, if you've reached a point where you would commit that sin, you wouldn't be asking for forgiveness.

As for why someone would do it, the NT Pharisees did. I'd argue its impossible to commit today, at least under anything resembling "Normal" modern day circumstances.

Exactly how God interacts with the universe I don't know. Some Evangelicals I know think God actually actively controls every natural event, including storms, disasters, exc. while others would probably say God set the events into motion so they occur "Naturally' but that he does intervene with them at times. I can't really tell you which view is accurate, and it doesn't matter anyways.